SS probe droid light/sound electronics - ver. 2

hyperdyne

Sr Member
Ok, so I finally finished up the proto and several of the final kits for the probe droid. I added some new features over my ver. 1 also.

1) Single board solution
2) Is activated via motion sensor or random timer
3) Light up eye LED and blaster LED.
4) Dual antenna servo outputs to motorize the antennas
5) Dome servo output to motorize random head movements
6) Programmable modes: Timer/motion activation mode, delay between events, sounds can be changed out via microSD card.
7) small speaker included - optional 1W amp for louder sound also available.

Here is a vid of the kit in action. There are about 10 different sound events right now. I can add more.
Star Wars ESB probe droid model - light and sound kit, rev 2.0 - YouTube

ESB scene playback:
Star Wars ESB probe droid model - light and sound kit rev 2.0 - easter egg - YouTube

For motorizing the antennas/head you can use any hobby servo you like. Since I dont have a PD kit I dont know size restrictions so for now I leave that to the builder.

Also to limit any servo noise, I only energize the servos when they need to move. Otherwise they are not powered and make no added noise!

Hope you guys like it. I will put up an interest thread in the junkyard soon. Price will be around the same as my ver. 1 board.

Jim

Servo choice is easy, there is LOTS of room for any generic servos along the lines of an S148.
Micros would be cooler, but id only use those for the antennas.

lee

Yeah I figured micro servos could work. The antennas hopefully dont weight anything so those servos have almost zero load. And there is a plethora of micro airplane servos to choose from.

I thought a larger standard servo could be housed in the lower body and simply attach to the dome with a servo horn. I did this with my full scale 3p0 head and it worked out well.

Yeah, ive a few metal geared 1/8 servos here id plug into the head. The brass antenna has NO weight, and im sure ive a couple of aileron servos that would do that job.
The joy is, servo's, are so cheap these days, this, is a very, very cool addition, id love the retro fit one to my current droid TBH lol.

lee

Metal gear or carbonite gear would work great - plastic too. And like I stated above, there wont be any servo whining or chatter noise since I only energize the servos when they need to move. Otherwise they are off. If the antennas have no weight to them then the antenna servos should hold in the up position via friction.

And the head servo doesnt need to be constantly holding position anyway.

I made the head movement to work with mars PD dome, as he said it would work fine.

Oh, and I also added in an antenna servo reversing mode you can enable on the board - to aid in servo install should it be too difficult to get the linkage to work in one direction.

Last edited:
I' have no idea what the hell you are all talking about but I'm in

Looks amazing, what a way to to tip these over the edge on total WOW!

Jim bloody awesome!
Is the middle servo pictured for the head as we spoke?
Or is it to turn the blaster cannon?
Either way awesome!!

I am working getting the kit up on my website. Thanks!

mars, the middle servo is for the 2nd antenna. I use 2 servos since the antennas were staggered in the movie scene when they retracted. So I matched the movement to the movie sound. You could use one if you like, but two outputs are there to use.

Yes, the v1 has the white light, sounds, motion sensor and antenna servo outputs. It also consisted of 2 PC boards. I only made a handful of v1 kits, that is a long story in of itself.

The v2 was shrunk to 1 small board and added the blaster light, head servo, timer/motion mode, servo reversing, and several more sounds.

You are correct, if you dont like the LEDs you dont have to install them. The board will work fine without them.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back