1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hi Gang,

Enjoy this Panoramic view of the EP VII cockpit is all its HD Glory!!!!! She's DEF changed from the early ESB version we're working on, but it's a stunning piece of work and the designers DEF did their homework. Bravo! This just put the fire under my butt I've been looking for to get back to work! :)

It will be interesting to see if Rey and Chewie clean her up for EP VIII

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-360-view-the-force-awakens-set-panoramas-at-starwars-com

Where was this four months ago when I started on my kids' bunk bed!?! :behave

Super cool but shouldn't I be able to see the starboard mandible if I pan left?

Hi Gang,

Life's little hurdles got in the way yesterday but I did manage to get a few things done...

Adhered the pipe housing together - still needs lots of sanding and filler
20160404_174133_zpsp0oirge9.jpg

The pipe fits through perfectly - just as in EPVII
20160404_174205_zpsvmtagcg5.jpg

Pipe will connect to black greeblie like this
20160404_174530_zpslpbs48ee.jpg

Getting everything aligned
20160404_174959_zpsabyvtfzz.jpg

WOW... that's a lot of dog hair! UGH
20160404_175004_zpsslailezn.jpg

20160404_175103_zpsvdgvdpdl.jpg

Showing pipe configuration
20160404_175218_zps0ou8v0xh.jpg

I'm going to design a pipe connector at this end
20160404_175222_zpsonslrkbs.jpg

More sanding
20160404_174213_zpsaagfd8fs.jpg

20160404_174224_zpsjnryt4tz.jpg

More filler
20160404_174230_zpswonrrwx6.jpg

The new fan greeblie
20160404_174302_zpseqmq3yec.jpg

20160404_184554_zpskvfsi1tl.jpg

20160404_184559_zps24scmuin.jpg

If you'll excuse me I have to run out and get my copy of Star Wars TFA Blue Ray! :)

More to follow!

Every time I come on to this thread it feels like the first time, since every time is so amazing:love I don't even think I've told my wife something like that...
Anyways as always looking amazing Sofa as usual, loving the expansion and out walls of the cockpit! dare I say at this rate we'll all be seeing hallway panels and greeblies soon enough ;). Hope the weather by you is fairing better for painting because it has really been putting a dent in my project for some time now. As always keep up the amazing work!!!

Hey MB,

Thanks so much! :) You are correct! There will be a hint of the cockpit corridor coming soon. I'm looking adding another 15-20" past the cockpit entrance. That should allow for a ring of the small pads. Should be an interesting year. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I leave you this new area and the "compressor" board, and I take Rey agreed :D ?

Hi D,

She did agree! She was a bit hesitant at first but I assured her the compressor board would not be reinstalled. ;)

Where was this four months ago when I started on my kids' bunk bed!?! :behave

Super cool but shouldn't I be able to see the starboard mandible if I pan left?

Hey H,

I think you're still in a good place to take advantage of the Pano? I would run and have fun with it! :)

Should we be able to see the mandible? Yes. Starkiller did a 3D walk-though of the MF and you can the mandible as you enter the cockpit. :)

At the 1:00 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iintEBWVAX8

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Sofa,

Surely not Dog hair, Wookie Fur, pit must be covered in it, LOL!

Roughneckone:cool

Hey R,

LOL! You are absolutely correct. Clearly, it was too early in the morning for me to recognize the difference ;)

Did you ever install what I would call those OH ****** handles in the cockpit? (Whatever they are actually called, if you know what I mean.) :)

Hi Gang,

StarWars.com just posted a Pano of the XWing cockpit! I have a feeling more are on the way :)

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-360-view-the-force-awakens-set-panoramas-at-starwars-com

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ever install what I would call those OH ****** handles in the cockpit? (Whatever they are actually called, if you know what I mean.) :)

Hey D,

Are you referring to the two curved handles just to side of the pilot and copilot that are attached to the canopy?

I see. I get that. Do you think they reproduced the expensive tall flight chairs on their own, or bought a real set? I wonder how much less it would cost if you just built facsimiles and shaped them as close as possible from other materials. I noticed in the the pano view they looked like they were mounted in place not to swivel on that particular version of the falcon. I know they had to keep them staying in place for when she "flies" the cockpit on that gimbal.

I see. I get that. Do you think they reproduced the expensive tall flight chairs on their own, or bought a real set? I wonder how much less it would cost if you just built facsimiles and shaped them as close as possible from other materials. I noticed in the the pano view they looked like they were mounted in place not to swivel on that particular version of the falcon. I know they had to keep them staying in place for when she "flies" the cockpit on that gimbal.

Hey D,

My first thought is those are original Martin Baker Ejection Seats. As rare as these are, I don't think they would have been tossed out with the other sets after filming - they are far too expensive (10-20K). I'm now wondering that if the original cockpit did in fact survive, the number of original aircraft and other misc parts were actually removed from the set and returned to the prop department? Looking at the Pano image, it's clear that many (if not all) of the original greeblies were all copied and 3D printed / recreated for EPVII. Sorry... thinking out loud. ;)

If blueprints of the original MB chairs exist, it wouldn't be that difficult to recreate the chairs. With a CNC, laser cutter and 3D printer, you can create / replicate anything. If these are recreations then hats off to the designers! They did an amazing job!

You are correct re: how the EPVII chairs are mounted. The originals took advantage of the round "ejection tube" that was located at the back of the chair in between the two side frames. If you ever watch EP 4-6 they move around quite a bit. Our opinion is they wanted to make the chairs more secure especially with, as you mentioned, filming would taking place on a large scale gimbal.

The nav chairs should actually pivot as they are meant for those sitting to be able to have access to the instrument panels both to the side and behind them. :)

In the context of the TFA movie, we don't see if the chairs are perm mounted, as it never shows the base of them. So one could argue they still do pivot, just didn't need to in the context of the movie. Maybe there is a way keep them in solid in place when needed (In the story). Notice the cockpit door is never closed in TFA, but it appears to be there on the side peaking over a bit. Of course, I don't think it was ever closed in ANH either. I just watched again an the chairs do not always sit perfectly straight, they are pivoted a bit at times.

Last edited:
In the context of the TFA movie, we don't see if the chairs are perm mounted, as it never shows the base of them. So one could argue they still do pivot, just didn't need to in the context of the movie. Maybe there is a way keep them in solid in place when needed (In the story). Notice the cockpit door is never closed in TFA, but it appears to be there on the side peaking over a bit. Of course, I don't think it was ever closed in ANH either. I just watched again an the chairs do not always sit perfectly straight, they are pivoted a bit at times.

Hey D,

You're absolutely correct! There very well may be a swivel with a locking mech between the chair and base. I just watched TFA last night and I noticed the door was never closed as well but I didn't notice the chairs. I was too busy enjoying all the other MF related goodness. I did happen to notice some large panel flashing on the back wall behind Rey. I'm going to go back again to locate and figure out what it was. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Those are fantastic! You are a machine! :)

- - - Updated - - -

OH WOW! I knew it only a matter of time before we saw more Behind the Scene images! I love it! Makes me want to go back and redo everything! Thanks for posting!

In reference to the chairs rotating as a thought for unlocking locking etc easiest way is to just put a lever on side or slightly underneath.
But I've had 2 thoughts of ways you could do it more subtly and cooler, both envolve use of a inner and outer (outer being locked solid inner being the holding and moving part) tube for swivel base and some mechanism to lock the 2 together I'd possibly say electro magnet as quick easy and efficient.
And then to engage and release either a kick switch or idea I prefer is the use of 1 of the existing panel switches in cockpit to side of chairs pick one not in use then use that to engage and deactivate the locking mechanism.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back