Snatcher - Metal Gear MkII Robot Build

I got stuck working on a costume project last month but have started working on Ye Ole' Metal Gear again.

I still need to do a little more shaping and sanding on the body and the skin is super thin at this point. I don't want to smear on more filler and lose much of the work I've already done and I'd hate to go through the trouble and expense of making a waste mold to create a resing version that could sand down more.

I'm thinking about coating the whole thing in a thin layer of resin to do the final bits of sanding. Similar to the method described here- http://www.therpf.com/f24/how-plastic-coat-foam-costume-pieces-146539/

That way I can retain the majority of the smoothing and shaping I've completed so far and get another 1/8" or so to work with. In fact adding another level of material would even help even out any slight wobbles and bulges.

It's super close but I really want it perfectly smooth and round in form. No wobbles!

9a06d93e.jpg

3eedc939.jpg

Nick

Last edited:
Nick, Wow!!! I remember snatcher that was a great game love th' build so far can't wait ta see it finished brah. Keep up th' good work.:cool:cool

The main torso parts are about as smooth as I can them now.

1f540ba5.jpg

I'm going to cast the body and head in resin to do the detailing and make the removable door. The scratch built parts are just too fragile at this point to work with any further. Having a resin version of these pieces will give me confidence to work much faster too without worrying about screwing up the piece.

To change things up a little, I started work on the monitor box last night and got quite a bit done.
9e144ef3.jpg

e95a2c70.jpg

93fcdcc5.jpg

My table saw prowess is much better on this project. I finally adjusted my tiny table saw to get really accurate cuts finally. No sanding to fit!

Here's the sketch I made to figure out how to approach the construction.
6d7e5b02.jpg

I think I'm going to skin the box in styrene with all the details done of the individual sheets first before attaching to the final box.

The face plate where the LCD screen will fit in will be cast in resin.

It should look something like this when done.
file.gif

SNATCHER_108.jpg

color-test.jpg

Nick

Last edited:
WOW. Awesome project! I was lucky enough to own a SegaCD along with this game in the mid-90s, and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait to see how this turns out!!!

Finding an original sega cd copy of snatcher is incredibly hard now and expensive. I actually don't even own an original copy and am only able play it on emulation these days. Fun stuff.

Nick

i also have the original Mega-CD (that's what the sega cd was called here). I remember reading all i could about the game and buying it instantly on the day it was released.

I really wish Hideo Kojima would use current computertech to regenerate the snatcher universe, so much possibility

Sorry for the hold up. I've been trying to finish up my Cthulhu Statue project and ole' MG mkII has been on the backburner lately.

That said progress has been made.

I thickened up the box's front edges to the correct width with a couple sheets of styrene. More primer and then sanded to even up the edges.
3f3ce7cf.jpg

I then built a styrene box to hold the monitor screen.
71dffc80.jpg

However, I think that my initial box's dimensions were a few millimeters off on either side and when I made the inner styrene module I had to do a lot of adjusting to make it fit inside the open area.

58e64693.jpg

Everything fits okay but there's one problem. The LCD screen as manufactured is slightly off-center in it's metal housing.

d922794c.jpg

I had initially planned for this issue but my adjustments to make it fit in my box screwed this up. Now the screen fits in the styrene box quite snuggly and the screen is slightly shifted to the right when it's all put together.

cb461b73.jpg

b6cf6fd0.jpg

A few millimeters can make all the difference. Grrrr...

That said I really want to remake both the pieces now anyways. Having partially made them once now, I have a really good idea on how to approach them correctly now. I'm not a very experienced modeler so all this stuff is a big learning experience.

My new plan is to make the box with the intention to skin the whole thing in 2 layers of styrene like how R2-D2 builders do for their bodies. You get really nice looking panel lines this way without having to scribe them in by hand. I also need to plan for the access panel

I'm probably going to cut all my styrene via a laser cutting service to get everything super sharp and accurate. My handmade styrene pieces have a lot to be desired and I really want a tight mechanical feel to the parts. Having everything laser cut will also speed things up. I've got everything all planned out in vector form, I might as well use those files for the end product. It will also keep me from deviating from my plans in an attempt to salvage clunky work. :)

Nick

Thanks. Will do!

I'm ordering some silicon and rotocast resin soon to make the final version of the head and body parts.

Hopefully it all goes as planned.

Nick

ok im not sure if this was suggested but how bout a IMAGINEX toy as the actual body frame and then work around the design even a radio shack robot / rc ???

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back