44" 1999 eagle parts soon available

Jim,

My apologies for letting the cat out of the bag. I should have cleared it with you before posting the link, and I hope I haven't upset your plans. I figured I had stumbled on something great (I did!).

Still, the parts look fantastic and you are to be congratulated for all your hard work. Just wish I could take advantage and actually order them, but that will have to wait. With the after-market parts you have available, soon a modeller will be able to just shake the box and have an Eagle fall out. I plan to be one of those one day.

Ever since I was a little kid, I loved this ship.

I have a real newbie question, but how would I get started on this project. It looks like their is a good source for the nose and other parts, but not the entire ship. I assume no matter how you cut it, you are kit bashing a scratch-building?

Any advice is appreciated.

Stormy, in the case of the spine, yes, scratchbuilding is really your only viable option for an Eagle at this time. Most everything else (leg-pods, engine bells, walkways, cages etc) ARE available from various sources but that is determined on how much you want to do yourself.

Many of the obvious detailing parts such as the Saturn V and Gemini parts are still available, but purchasing enough kits to do an entire 44" Eagle would start to mount in cost. That is where castings as offered on this thread would come in very handy.

At a bare minimum, purchase a beak from Chris Trice and a set of engine bells from Jim Small, the rest is viable scratchbuilding/ kitbashing material for anyone that has done any of it before.

There will be an awesome set of plans for the 44" Eagle available soon from Chris Trice and Daniel Prudhomme that will detail the #1 Eagle down to the kit parts used on it, so they will be worth waiting on.

An important decision to make EARLY on is which particular effects model, if any, you intend to copy as they varied a lot in details and proportions apparently. The other option is to detail in the "style" of the original models, which will reduce costs a lot.

Cheers

Tony

Hi everyone,

I started on my lifelong dream of building a 44" Eagle after jealously acquiring a 1/24 Hawk from Jim Small. I was so envious of his talent I decided to master the skills necessary to make the Eagle as well. I've just finished alot of work on the cockpit (Chris Trice's). I'm using the aluminum sensor dishes from Jim Small. I've got the Gemini Astronauts all ready and a background made from a photo of the Eagle cockpit to place inside it. I've decided to light it with White LED's for now and am thinking of adding lights through out, such as strobes and landing lights, something I always felt the original should have had.

I have a couple of questions though. One is I've cut out the upper windows (to the cockpit) and placed clear plastic inside so you can see in, but I'm wondering about the lower indents. Were they cut out? and just painted black or should I leave them alone. Its hard to tell in the photos. Second I really like the carbon rods that Tim Ketzer is using, does anyone know where they can be obtained from? I've found a few sites but the selection is limited.

I just got a new camera and in a few weeks I'll start posting photos here.

NO! Do not cut out the lower Command Module triangles. They are not windows. Just paint black (with the appropriate white "frames").

There is actually a lot of great Eagle reference on the web if you search out there! Here are some of my favorites:

Space 1999 Catacombs
http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/models/wrefm.html

http://www.space1999.net/~eagle/
Baldassari's awesome Eagle blueprints

Hangar 18's amazing gallery of Eagle model pics
http://www.coldnorth.com/hangar-18-models/resources/

And tucked away on Jim Small's site, this incredible article on the restoration of an original Eagle!
icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.smallartworks.ca/Articles/Restoration/Restore1.html

- Karl

I was pretty sure I didn't need to so cool I made the right choice. I've got all those resources but maybe my eyes arn't as sharp as everyone else's these days I just couldn't tell if they had been cut out or not. After reading the restoration article I could see they weren't touched.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Also does anybody know anything about this new 22" scale Eagle kit from Starcrafts? I saw that it was at Wonderfest but that's all I know.

I see Replicas Unlimited now has a 22" kit of the Lab Module eagle as well.

- Karl

The Replicas Unlimited Eagle is 23" rather than 22". You would think that the inch would not make too much of a difference but this comparison of the spines from the AB 22" and the RU 23" gives a graphic idea. All other parts are similarly scaled up.

sinecomp01.jpg

Any info about a new 22" Eagle kit would be appreciated. Yep, still looking for the perfect Eagle....
icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Tony

Going back to the lower window issue, I think I should mention that there are acrylic windows in the lower half of the command module but they are back painted black. I've also noticed that Chris Trice has briefly suspended making his command modules until February because he's supervising some of the models on the "Aliens V Predator" movie and doesn't currently have enough free time. Also Jim Small has had to suspend things for a few weeks because his father is needing to be relocated due to failing health so if anyone should contact them, don't be surprised if you don't get a reply straight away.

great job well done i to am building a 44'' eagle i have castings of original landing pads if you are interested in trading parts i also have a casting of the 22" beak original from Phil Rae the owner of most Anderson props.keep up the good work .Steve

i am looking for some frame work for the 44" and 22" eagle i have other parts some of them are taken directly off the originals and molded from phil rae i have a coppy of original beak 22" and 44" landing leg pads and shoulder pods for the 22"

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back