Star Trek II Engineering Radiation Suit - Complete!

Re: WIP - Star Trek II Engineering Radiation Suit

How do you make the pattern from scratch? It looks like magic. How do you know what size to make each piece?

Sadly, no magic, I use what is probably the 'hard way'-

I start with some existing clothing that fits about how I want the costume to. Then I study the screen caps and any information I can find to figure out where the seams should go.

Next I trace the clothes outline onto paper, and move the seams to match the costume. I use these patterns to make a mockup out of scrap material (leftovers from previous projects, cheap muslin- even old bedsheets once!) and I hang the mockup on my paper-tape sewing dummy.

I then can pin and adjust the mockup until it hangs right, and I use that to alter the patterns. I repeat that until I'm convinced my patterns are good.

The very last step, once the costume is all done, is usually to go back and alter the patterns one more time- so that if I do something similar in the future, I'll have a better starting point.

Not too much done during this week- I managed to make and attache the shoulder boards on Monday, and the zipper flap and butt panel last night. But the neoprene is on order, so I should be able to post some exciting neck ring pictures soon!

Last edited:

That's a good looking and believable suit. Sort of a Space Mechanic. Good job on it.

I just wanted to repeat the sentiment I've already seen expressed:

I LOVE watching your threads!

Someday I wanna learn to sew this well.

Dude, Seriously, is there anything you can't put together and make it look easy (I did say make it LOOK easy lol)

Great job man!!!

Thanks, guys!

Someday I wanna learn to sew this well.

It's doable- grab a sewing machine (an old thrift store find, for example) and go for it. It's just a matter of getting in the practice. My stuff is still pretty rough up close- I've got a ways further to go-

So, this week I got some mostly small stuff done. I did the shoulder boards:

Jumpsuit001.jpg

Jumpsuit002.jpg

And hand stitched on a lot of other stuff- such as the rank pin 'pillow'

I then convinced myself that the front panel was not wide enough. It just didn't look right, proportionally. So made a new one, and replaced it. (Making a new one is pretty easy- undoing and redoing all the hand stitching to replace it is not... D'oh!)

So here's where we are now- the jumpsuit is pretty much done:

Jumpsuit006.jpg

I'm thinking all that padding at the hips is making me look fat. The solution to that is usually to pose with a phaser...

Jumpsuit010.jpg

Next I'll need to get going on the big rubbery neck part. I'm getting the neoprene early next week, and I should have time to make the pattern this weekend.

I'll also need to make the boots- here's the target:

85113eb816b5f90fade01294111b31e4.jpg

It seems like the best approach would be to do what I (believe) they did for the films- find some early '80s moon boots and cover them with material, piping and those circles. But I have not had any luck on ebay or etsy finding any in my size yet- any clever ideas here are welcome!

Absolutely fantastic work. Seriously I love your work. Please for the love of god start selling!

I'd say go with the slippers, It gives it a casual Friday look...:)

(That's it, next time I'm posing wearing the BSG Sidi Fullbores...)

Thanks Amp & Peter!

While waiting for my neoprene I got a little bit more done. I made the pattern for the neck part-

6-EngRad30.jpg

6-EngRad29.jpg

And then used it to make a Foamy mockup to test how it lays on the costume.

6-EngRad31.jpg

I also convinced myself that my climbing harness loops were not convincing enough looking, so I did a second version of them.

6-EngRad1.jpg

6-EngRad3.jpg

6-EngRad4.jpg

6-EngRad8.jpg

The new shown with the old:

6-EngRad11.jpg

6-EngRad12.jpg

This is how things stand now.

6-EngRad36.jpg

I can't wait to start making the real neck part...

Wow. Amazing!

Perhaps a little OT, but how do you clean your costumes? Spot clean surface stains only? Dry clean? If I were wearing a white costume, it wouldn't stay white for long. ;)

Wow. Amazing!

Perhaps a little OT, but how do you clean your costumes? Spot clean surface stains only? Dry clean? If I were wearing a white costume, it wouldn't stay white for long. ;)

That is an excellent question. Normally, since I don't do much besides walk around and pose in these outfits, it isn't much of an issue. I just make a point to wear underclothes that can be easily washed, and spot clean the rest.

But this one has me worried, since it is white... Since it's all cotton, I could probably machine wash it if I had to, although I might have to remove most of the hand-stitched details first- (and I really would not like to do that. On the other hand, I think they did do that every time with the actual screen used outfits...)

My starting plan is to try to stay clean, spot wash anything I can, and hope for the best!

That is an excellent question. Normally, since I don't do much besides walk around and pose in these outfits, it isn't much of an issue. I just make a point to wear underclothes that can be easily washed, and spot clean the rest.

But this one has me worried, since it is white... Since it's all cotton, I could probably machine wash it if I had to, although I might have to remove most of the hand-stitched details first- (and I really would not like to do that. On the other hand, I think they did do that every time with the actual screen used outfits...)

My starting plan is to try to stay clean, spot wash anything I can, and hope for the best!
Cool. Thanks for sharing a bit about how you handle these practical concerns. I wonder if the radiation suit could be hand washed without having to remove the adornments?

great work... the black collar helps alot it just doesn't look right without it...

As for cleaning I would try the home drycleaning kits that they sell, I use one for my Kilt and it works pretty good, it is a wool/ploy blend..I also use it for my RevWar regimental coat that is 100% wool and has white facings on it. They come out pretty clean, although I do a lot more than walking around in it so it does get pretty beat up over a campaigning season.

My Neoprene arrived!

So, I've been working on the neck part.

7-EngRad8.jpg

7-EngRad12.jpg

It took a couple of tries to start to get things scaled in right. Pretty much, it's just a big hunk of neoprene, with a whole lot of neoprene stringers glued on, and a velcro closure on the left side.

7-EngRad17.jpg

7-EngRad19.jpg

7-EngRad20.jpg

You spend a lot of time gluing when you do this. I use contact cement, which works really well. (But don't put it in the wrong place, the neoprene comes apart if you try to un-glue it... ) Make a point to keep the windows open with this stuff- (Special Lady hates the smell...)

7-EngRad22.jpg

And that was it for the TMP version. For TWOK, they added a cloth neck roll at the top, and a plastic clasp of some sort.

7-EngRad6.jpg

I haven't figured out what they used- so far I'm going with a piece of plexiglass and some Chicago screws....

7-EngRad32.jpg

So we end up looking like this:

7-EngRad36.jpg

Next up will be the boots. I've ordered an inexpensive modern pair that I can take apart and modify.

My cheapo moon boots arrived!

8-EngRad4.jpg

They are not bad. I put them on and wore them for an evening- they fit decently and should work well for costume boots.

So I immediately took them apart!

8-EngRad5.jpg

8-EngRad7.jpg

They are clearly very cheaply made- but that's perfect for this project, as I don't feel at all bad completely dismembering them.

Now I'm making patterns for the white coverings- that will be followed by making the poofy fake trapunto details- and it will all end with tons of hand sewing, to re-attach the uppers to sole...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back