Star Trek II Engineering Radiation Suit - Complete!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Felgacarb

I've started gathering materials for my next costume build.

(Yep. It's another TWOK era ST costume.) I've been in a 'Scotty' kind of mood lately, so here is what I'll be attempting:

For the most part, it's just a big 'ol jumpsuit made out of heavy white cotton material. I've picked up some nice white denim that should work well (Especially since it's not a bright or 'crisp' white- although it is probably too white to be called off-white. If you follow...)

Most of the accessories are found items, but as I'm only making one costume, I'll probably scratch build them myself. Specifically parts like these:
(These photos are all from the Star Trek Auction Listings Archive- a great place to find reference pictures.)

Which are supposedly Edelrid climbing harness loops,

This looks to be a large flat washer with a lot of holes drilled in the edges and a grease 'zerk' installed in the center.

I could use help on this, though:

Clearly a found item, but any guess as to what, or if they are still available?

Most of the rest will just require some moderately clever sewing:

And some gluing of neoprene... Anyone have a good source for neoprene rubber sheets 1/4" thick?

There will eventually be glove modification and shoe coverings involved as well.
I'll end with a photo I actually took:

So, I promise in my next post, I'll show some actual work in progress, even if it's only pattern generation... (since this is a WIP thread, after all!)

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Felgacarb

Re: WIP - Star Trek II Engineering Radiation Suit

OK- so here are the first of the progress pictures-

I've begun making the patterns...

And made up one of the accessories-
I chose to start by making a circular part out of kydex- it's lighter than the metal, easier to work with, but also tough and takes paint well. Plus I had some scrap handy.

I had a set of brake line bleeder valves left over from an upgrade years ago, so I cleaned and cut up one of them for this project. I also had to grind a nut down a bit.

Then, hit it with the extra shiny rattle can silver paint. Here it is on my white denim:

Not too bad of a start?

Felgacarb

A bit more this evening-

Perhaps sometimes I take the 'made everything myself' thing too far....

I figure that if the rest of the outfit comes out so well that it makes this patch look bad, I can always replace it...

Here's a first attempt at a sleeve mock-up:

To me, it looks like I made the 'tunnels' for the padding too big, and they are clearly down a bit too low- they should cover the elbow...

Last edited:

Havok69

Still awesome! I would say you might need to use larger cord for inside the tunnels, and yes raise them up a bit.

tim

Sr Member

I'm pretty sure that's part of a closet door slide mechanism, perhaps for the pin of a bifold door that would slide in a track. Have a look at the closet section of Home Depot and see if you can turn up something close.

Flagwaver

That looks like a runner for a double accordion door. The center piece that keeps them from over extending or such.

Apollo

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As always looking forward to watching you work your magic!

Felgacarb

I'm pretty sure that's part of a closet door slide mechanism, perhaps for the pin of a bifold door that would slide in a track. Have a look at the closet section of Home Depot and see if you can turn up something close.
Tim & Flagwaver, thanks! I had no guesses- I now at least have something to go hunt for.

Apollo- I'm afraid it's a lot more trial and error than magic...

I continued messing around with my sleeve mockup, until I was convinced I had a decent pattern- so, with the real material:

After the first iteration, it became clear that to get the thing to hang right, it would require more structure. So, I'm back to my favorite fusible interfacing technique.

Next, the giant elbow piping. Since this is a Trek Robert Fletcher costume, you can be pretty sure the real ones were all done with a trapunto machine. (Dang it!) So, on with the funnel-stuffing approach...

The practice part looked good, so I went for it.

Starting to look about right.
After doing the other sleeve-

Then, on to the 'bullseye' on the front. Once again, they must have done the originals with the frak'n trapunto machine...

(So, perhaps you're wondering why anyone would want to wear an engineering outfit with a big target on the chest? My theory: It was considered a step up from their previous red tunics!)

First try- construct it in three stages, like nested pillows:

I was not happy with this. So, plan B is to make it like giant piping. There are two big downsides to this approach, though- the first is that it requires a bit of hand stitching to close it. The second, is you're left with a seam up the front. (I'll be able to hide a least two of these seems under the neck piece- I may have to live with the smallest one showing a bit...)

Next, something that doesn't require any trapunto fakery- the service band.

So, here's where I'm ending for today.

Last edited:

Felgacarb

I began the scratch build of the climbing harness loops:

Overall they are looking pretty good, but the shape isn't completely accurate. I may put them on the costume for a while before I consider doing them again.

I made the front chest piece and hand stitched the bullseye to it.

Then I needed the random hardware details for the center- so back to digging though the garage. Then the spray paint!

It all installs through the costume with chicago screw:

Next I worked on the left arm rectangular thing. Thanks (again!) to Tim & Flagwaver, I found exactly the right part at the hardware store.

I picked up some shrink tubing, too, and I was ready to go-

So here is where I finished today:

Sadly, I ran out of interfacing, but I should be able to grab some more tomorrow and get a bit more done.

Your work blows me away..The engineering suits are the most daunting costumes in Trek, but you're replicating one that's worthy of being on-screen. Very cool...

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love watching your builds Eric!

Felgacarb

Thanks!

Next up, I constructed the thigh panels-

Silver satin & shrink tubing...

Then the main body:

I attached the front parts to the backs, so that I could sew on and stuff the waist padding.

Here's one side padded:

Then I could stitch the front parts together, and put the zipper in the back.

I did as much machine attaching of parts as I could- there will be lots and lots of hand stitching to get everything on!

Speaking of things to put on, I could use help with another (I think) found part:

What is the clear plastic thing on this? I've been trolling local stores looking for something similar (like replaceable razor heads?) but no luck so far.

Here's where I've ended for the weekend:

Still a lot of detail to go...

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Will you PLEASE wear this to the Prop Party? Or at least bring it?

Felgacarb

Will you PLEASE wear this to the Prop Party? Or at least bring it?
Oh yeah- The plan was to wear the Picard jacket (which could almost be mistaken for regular clothes) and bring this, but I might switch that up, depending on how wacky I feel at the time...

STpropguy76

I love watching your Threads/Posts.

Your Awesome!!!

Your Uniforms are Great!!!

I wish I had the skills.

................Jeremiah

tim

Sr Member

Wow. This is looking like yet another masterpiece! :cool

SSgt Burton

Sr Member

Man you take on the most daunting of Trek costumes everytime!

Can't wait to see this one done too! Amazing work so far!

Kevin

Taggart

How do you make the pattern from scratch? It looks like magic. How do you know what size to make each piece?