Star Trek II Engineering Radiation Suit - Complete!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Felgacarb, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Felgacarb

Felgacarb Well-Known Member

I've started gathering materials for my next costume build.

(Yep. It's another TWOK era ST costume.) I've been in a 'Scotty' kind of mood lately, so here is what I'll be attempting:

[​IMG]

For the most part, it's just a big 'ol jumpsuit made out of heavy white cotton material. I've picked up some nice white denim that should work well (Especially since it's not a bright or 'crisp' white- although it is probably too white to be called off-white. If you follow...)

Most of the accessories are found items, but as I'm only making one costume, I'll probably scratch build them myself. Specifically parts like these:
    (These photos are all from the Star Trek Auction Listings Archive- a great place to find reference pictures.)

[​IMG]

Which are supposedly Edelrid climbing harness loops,

[​IMG]

This looks to be a large flat washer with a lot of holes drilled in the edges and a grease 'zerk' installed in the center.

I could use help on this, though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearly a found item, but any guess as to what, or if they are still available?

Most of the rest will just require some moderately clever sewing:

[​IMG]

And some gluing of neoprene... Anyone have a good source for neoprene rubber sheets 1/4" thick?

[​IMG]

There will eventually be glove modification and shoe coverings involved as well.
    I'll end with a photo I actually took:

[​IMG]

So, I promise in my next post, I'll show some actual work in progress, even if it's only pattern generation... (since this is a WIP thread, after all!)

Wish me luck!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Riceball likes this.
  2. Felgacarb

Re: WIP - Star Trek II Engineering Radiation Suit

OK- so here are the first of the progress pictures-

I've begun making the patterns...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And made up one of the accessories-
    I chose to start by making a circular part out of kydex- it's lighter than the metal, easier to work with, but also tough and takes paint well. Plus I had some scrap handy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a set of brake line bleeder valves left over from an upgrade years ago, so I cleaned and cut up one of them for this project. I also had to grind a nut down a bit.

[​IMG]

Then, hit it with the extra shiny rattle can silver paint. Here it is on my white denim:

[​IMG]

Not too bad of a start?

Riceball likes this.
  3. Felgacarb

A bit more this evening-

Perhaps sometimes I take the 'made everything myself' thing too far....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure that if the rest of the outfit comes out so well that it makes this patch look bad, I can always replace it...

Here's a first attempt at a sleeve mock-up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To me, it looks like I made the 'tunnels' for the padding too big, and they are clearly down a bit too low- they should cover the elbow...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. Havok69

Havok69 Well-Known Member

Still awesome! I would say you might need to use larger cord for inside the tunnels, and yes raise them up a bit.

5. tim

tim Sr Member

I'm pretty sure that's part of a closet door slide mechanism, perhaps for the pin of a bifold door that would slide in a track. Have a look at the closet section of Home Depot and see if you can turn up something close.

6. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member

While Denim may have great body, it might be a bit heavy to wear.
    Have you considered Trigger?
    Luck to you!

7. Flagwaver

Flagwaver Active Member

That looks like a runner for a double accordion door. The center piece that keeps them from over extending or such.

8. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As always looking forward to watching you work your magic!

9. Felgacarb

Tim & Flagwaver, thanks! I had no guesses- I now at least have something to go hunt for.

Apollo- I'm afraid it's a lot more trial and error than magic...

I continued messing around with my sleeve mockup, until I was convinced I had a decent pattern- so, with the real material:

[​IMG]

After the first iteration, it became clear that to get the thing to hang right, it would require more structure. So, I'm back to my favorite fusible interfacing technique.

[​IMG]

Next, the giant elbow piping. Since this is a Trek Robert Fletcher costume, you can be pretty sure the real ones were all done with a trapunto machine. (Dang it!) So, on with the funnel-stuffing approach...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The practice part looked good, so I went for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to look about right.
    After doing the other sleeve-

[​IMG]

Then, on to the 'bullseye' on the front. Once again, they must have done the originals with the frak'n trapunto machine...

(So, perhaps you're wondering why anyone would want to wear an engineering outfit with a big target on the chest? My theory: It was considered a step up from their previous red tunics!)

First try- construct it in three stages, like nested pillows:

[​IMG]

I was not happy with this. So, plan B is to make it like giant piping. There are two big downsides to this approach, though- the first is that it requires a bit of hand stitching to close it. The second, is you're left with a seam up the front. (I'll be able to hide a least two of these seems under the neck piece- I may have to live with the smallest one showing a bit...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, something that doesn't require any trapunto fakery- the service band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, here's where I'm ending for today.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  10. Felgacarb

I began the scratch build of the climbing harness loops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall they are looking pretty good, but the shape isn't completely accurate. I may put them on the costume for a while before I consider doing them again.

I made the front chest piece and hand stitched the bullseye to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I needed the random hardware details for the center- so back to digging though the garage. Then the spray paint!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It all installs through the costume with chicago screw:

[​IMG]

Next I worked on the left arm rectangular thing. Thanks (again!) to Tim & Flagwaver, I found exactly the right part at the hardware store.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up some shrink tubing, too, and I was ready to go-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here is where I finished today:

[​IMG]

Sadly, I ran out of interfacing, but I should be able to grab some more tomorrow and get a bit more done.

11. Captain Finney

Captain Finney Member

Your work blows me away..The engineering suits are the most daunting costumes in Trek, but you're replicating one that's worthy of being on-screen. Very cool...

Riceball and Utri like this.
  12. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love watching your builds Eric!

13. Felgacarb

Thanks!

Next up, I constructed the thigh panels-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silver satin & shrink tubing...

[​IMG]

Then the main body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I attached the front parts to the backs, so that I could sew on and stuff the waist padding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one side padded:

[​IMG]

Then I could stitch the front parts together, and put the zipper in the back.

[​IMG]

I did as much machine attaching of parts as I could- there will be lots and lots of hand stitching to get everything on!

[​IMG]

Speaking of things to put on, I could use help with another (I think) found part:

[​IMG]

What is the clear plastic thing on this? I've been trolling local stores looking for something similar (like replaceable razor heads?) but no luck so far.

Here's where I've ended for the weekend:

[​IMG]

Still a lot of detail to go...

14. Jedifyfe

Will you PLEASE wear this to the Prop Party? Or at least bring it?

15. Felgacarb

Oh yeah- The plan was to wear the Picard jacket (which could almost be mistaken for regular clothes) and bring this, but I might switch that up, depending on how wacky I feel at the time...

16. STpropguy76

STpropguy76 Active Member

I love watching your Threads/Posts.

Your Awesome!!!

Your Uniforms are Great!!!

I wish I had the skills.

................Jeremiah

17. tim

tim Sr Member

Wow. This is looking like yet another masterpiece! :cool

18. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Man you take on the most daunting of Trek costumes everytime!

Can't wait to see this one done too! Amazing work so far!

Kevin

19. Taggart

Taggart Active Member

How do you make the pattern from scratch? It looks like magic. How do you know what size to make each piece?

20. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

He's has a reputation of being a "miracle worker." ;)

Kevin

21. Jedifyfe

Seriously, Eric works at lightning speed and makes it looks so easy!

22. GeraldBarnacle

GeraldBarnacle New Member

I'm seeing plenty of drool-worthy output here today. This is on my cool list!

23. Felgacarb

Sadly, no magic, I use what is probably the 'hard way'-

I start with some existing clothing that fits about how I want the costume to. Then I study the screen caps and any information I can find to figure out where the seams should go.

Next I trace the clothes outline onto paper, and move the seams to match the costume. I use these patterns to make a mockup out of scrap material (leftovers from previous projects, cheap muslin- even old bedsheets once!) and I hang the mockup on my paper-tape sewing dummy.

I then can pin and adjust the mockup until it hangs right, and I use that to alter the patterns. I repeat that until I'm convinced my patterns are good.

The very last step, once the costume is all done, is usually to go back and alter the patterns one more time- so that if I do something similar in the future, I'll have a better starting point.

Not too much done during this week- I managed to make and attache the shoulder boards on Monday, and the zipper flap and butt panel last night. But the neoprene is on order, so I should be able to post some exciting neck ring pictures soon!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  24. terryr

terryr Sr Member

That's a good looking and believable suit. Sort of a Space Mechanic. Good job on it.

25. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

I just wanted to repeat the sentiment I've already seen expressed:

I LOVE watching your threads!

Someday I wanna learn to sew this well.

26. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

Dude, Seriously, is there anything you can't put together and make it look easy (I did say make it LOOK easy lol)

Great job man!!!

27. Felgacarb

Thanks, guys!

It's doable- grab a sewing machine (an old thrift store find, for example) and go for it. It's just a matter of getting in the practice. My stuff is still pretty rough up close- I've got a ways further to go-

So, this week I got some mostly small stuff done. I did the shoulder boards:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And hand stitched on a lot of other stuff- such as the rank pin 'pillow'

I then convinced myself that the front panel was not wide enough. It just didn't look right, proportionally. So made a new one, and replaced it. (Making a new one is pretty easy- undoing and redoing all the hand stitching to replace it is not... D'oh!)

So here's where we are now- the jumpsuit is pretty much done:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking all that padding at the hips is making me look fat. The solution to that is usually to pose with a phaser...

[​IMG]

Next I'll need to get going on the big rubbery neck part. I'm getting the neoprene early next week, and I should have time to make the pattern this weekend.

I'll also need to make the boots- here's the target:

[​IMG]

It seems like the best approach would be to do what I (believe) they did for the films- find some early '80s moon boots and cover them with material, piping and those circles. But I have not had any luck on ebay or etsy finding any in my size yet- any clever ideas here are welcome!

28. STpropguy76

I'd say go with the slippers, It gives it a casual Friday look...:)

29. AMP

AMP Well-Known Member

AWESOME work so far!

30. peter1701

peter1701 Well-Known Member

Absolutely fantastic work. Seriously I love your work. Please for the love of god start selling!

31. Felgacarb

(That's it, next time I'm posing wearing the BSG Sidi Fullbores...)

Thanks Amp & Peter!

While waiting for my neoprene I got a little bit more done. I made the pattern for the neck part-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then used it to make a Foamy mockup to test how it lays on the costume.

[​IMG]

I also convinced myself that my climbing harness loops were not convincing enough looking, so I did a second version of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new shown with the old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how things stand now.

[​IMG]

I can't wait to start making the real neck part...

32. tim

tim Sr Member

Wow. Amazing!

Perhaps a little OT, but how do you clean your costumes? Spot clean surface stains only? Dry clean? If I were wearing a white costume, it wouldn't stay white for long. ;)

33. Felgacarb

That is an excellent question. Normally, since I don't do much besides walk around and pose in these outfits, it isn't much of an issue. I just make a point to wear underclothes that can be easily washed, and spot clean the rest.

But this one has me worried, since it is white... Since it's all cotton, I could probably machine wash it if I had to, although I might have to remove most of the hand-stitched details first- (and I really would not like to do that. On the other hand, I think they did do that every time with the actual screen used outfits...)

My starting plan is to try to stay clean, spot wash anything I can, and hope for the best!

34. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Well-Known Member

I am always blown away by the level of detail and craftsmanship that you are able to achieve.

35. tim

tim Sr Member

Cool. Thanks for sharing a bit about how you handle these practical concerns. I wonder if the radiation suit could be hand washed without having to remove the adornments?

36. STpropguy76

Might want to add a pocket for a Bleach Pen. :)

37. enan

enan New Member

great work... the black collar helps alot it just doesn't look right without it...

As for cleaning I would try the home drycleaning kits that they sell, I use one for my Kilt and it works pretty good, it is a wool/ploy blend..I also use it for my RevWar regimental coat that is 100% wool and has white facings on it. They come out pretty clean, although I do a lot more than walking around in it so it does get pretty beat up over a campaigning season.

38. Felgacarb

My Neoprene arrived!

So, I've been working on the neck part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took a couple of tries to start to get things scaled in right. Pretty much, it's just a big hunk of neoprene, with a whole lot of neoprene stringers glued on, and a velcro closure on the left side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You spend a lot of time gluing when you do this. I use contact cement, which works really well. (But don't put it in the wrong place, the neoprene comes apart if you try to un-glue it... ) Make a point to keep the windows open with this stuff- (Special Lady hates the smell...)

[​IMG]

And that was it for the TMP version. For TWOK, they added a cloth neck roll at the top, and a plastic clasp of some sort.

[​IMG]

I haven't figured out what they used- so far I'm going with a piece of plexiglass and some Chicago screws....

[​IMG]

So we end up looking like this:

[​IMG]

Next up will be the boots. I've ordered an inexpensive modern pair that I can take apart and modify.

39. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

You never fail to impress! :thumbsup :eek :thumbsup

Kevin

40. Felgacarb

My cheapo moon boots arrived!

[​IMG]

They are not bad. I put them on and wore them for an evening- they fit decently and should work well for costume boots.

So I immediately took them apart!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are clearly very cheaply made- but that's perfect for this project, as I don't feel at all bad completely dismembering them.

Now I'm making patterns for the white coverings- that will be followed by making the poofy fake trapunto details- and it will all end with tons of hand sewing, to re-attach the uppers to sole...

41. STpropguy76

It good that you found the boots.

The only ones I could find that halfway fit the bill were these:
    White Sorels

[​IMG]

And these at Sears online for Men:

[​IMG]

And the Womans look almost dead on with the soles:

[​IMG]

....................Jeremiah (STPropGuy76)

42. blubeetle3

blubeetle3 Well-Known Member

As someone whose job it was to cut rubber gaskets, I gotto tell you this: You should've used a utility knife with a nice new, fresh blade! Put a metal straightedge on the line you want to cut, DON'T put pressure on the blade (because rubber will pull), and go over the line a few times while letting the blade do the cutting. That will give you a nice straight, clean line.

Friendly advice brought to you by wage-slave.:lol

43. Felgacarb

Thanks! I tied that method with a bunch of different exacto blades, but I don't think any of them were sufficiently sharp (made quite a mess of the edges) Next time my first attempt will use a brand new blade!

I've been working on the boots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the covering coming together:

[​IMG]

Re-attacing the soles. It's a good thing my old patcher machine was handy, as doing this manually would have been no fun. Even so, there was some minor blood loss involved....

[​IMG]

Here we have moon boots with the matching white covering:

[​IMG]

Next, the giant piping for the tops-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the ankle circles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit more hand stitching, and voila! Probably 90% done. I still need the rank pin and service pips & squeaks (on order from Roddenberry) and gloves may be added later. I may also cut down the neck part a bit more. I'll have to stare at it and think about the proportions a while longer...

But here is what we have today:

[​IMG]

So, mostly there!

(I'm sure engineers need to disintegrate things in corridors all the time....)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
    Utri likes this.
  44. Pauleysolo

Pauleysolo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: 90% Finished! - Star Trek II Engineering Radiation Suit

Very cool!

45. tim

tim Sr Member

Awesome! Now you just need to take a pic with a burned and bloodied guy in your arms.

"He stayed at his post...while the trainees ran!"

Riceball likes this.
  46. peter1701

peter1701 Well-Known Member

Just wow. Next I will start the I hate you thread. Well done

47. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member

wow!! That looks awesome!!!

48. Felgacarb

Thanks guys!

I intend to put up a couple more pictures once I get the rank pins on and a couple more tweaks done. ('cause this thread just isn't picture heavy enough yet....)

49. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

I must be tired, I read that as 'trannies'

Great build, as usual.:thumbsup

50. Plane Crazy

Plane Crazy Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol

Nice work on the suit! You have amazing talent.