Star Trek TOS captain's chair, was it real?

Hello Alensatemybuick, it was nice to chat with you at the EMP a few months ago.

I get Mr Allen's take on it but I have to disagree with his position. They just restored the filming model of the Enterprise and it was an effort done with love and care. And in someway he contradicted himself by allowing the missing parts, panels and lights to be "placed" on the helm/nav console. They aren't permanent but they made it a beautiful thing to look at rather than a discarded shell. And old paintings get restored all the time (as do classic cars).

Setting in place a missing comm speaker grill and a set of "domes" mounted on a piece of black plexiglass next to the correct but improperly spaced buttons on the right hand side, as well as setting one missing "dome" in the spot on the left hand side would do no damage but would improve the look.

I'm really pleased that the museum made the effort to display the two pieces (plus the Burke chair!) together once again. They did a fantastic job on the entire display but these items alone are worth the trip to see.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike, was good seeing you as well. The "restored" navigation console was indeed a real treat to see; I used quotation marks because it was done in such a way that it looked original, patina and all. I guess Mr. Allen's logic in restoring that piece and not the chair was the fact that it was much farther gone (with many missing details). I do like your suggestion regarding the right side arm though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back