Pyro X-Wing kit WIP

Thanks Simon.
And I kind of feel relived that I'm not the only one to mold it.lol
I'm planning to build red 3 in the future.

For me RED 3 is cool because wheathering technique is different from another X-Wing.Each X-Wing has it's own taste.I love all of them!

Here are pictures of my new nosecone.It's made of resin,but first I sculped it by using three different putties and casted it.A nosecone that came with the kit is next to mine,so you can see mine is a little bit bigger.I'm still not sure if mine is correct though.There are still a lot of things to do!

It looks almost exactly the same from profile as I made it on my xwing, so I naturally believe it's correct in my layman eyes! I could never thell from the top though, I leave that to real experts.

Thank you!But since mine is a little bit too big,I'm reducing the size of the nosecone.
Where is one of the experts by the way? What's he called Ke...:confused
And I'm sure that you are an expert imkold!Your fuselage looks very accurate.

I think you are doing the right thing by enlarging the nose cone. Though it is anyone's guess by exactly how much. But to my eye I'd say the nose on the Pyro master does look slimmed down compared to the hero versions. I always felt that Red 2/Blue leader appeared to have a longer fuselage because the nose is less slimmed than other hero models and that its nose represents a better look of the part out of the mold. It's all speculation of course.

Thank you both of you for the compliment!

Yeah,it's difficult to determine how big or long it should be.
I'll measure my nosecone and post it soon.

Around here somewhere are Gene's photos of the Pyro Master. I recall there is a close up of the nose with a ruler in the shot as well.

Regarding the shape of the hero noses is an entirely different matter. I've got one removed from the maxibrute that I've extensively reworked and I still think its too big here and there, but maybe not long enough. Its easily one off the most difficult shapes to capture on this vehicle.

Ultimately my recommendation would be to only use reference material of the specific X wing you plan to recreate to achieve the look you want up front.

Thanks!I forgot about that.lolMine is about 8.3mm long which is almost the same as the pyro,but a bit longer.

It looks like each of the nosecone has it's own shape,but I think they are from the same master.They are just changed their shapes by each of the ILM builders in my opinion.

Hi,
I just thought it was interesting if the resin was the same color as the prop.So I dyed my nosecone brown.
I think it turned out to be a nice color as I hoped.
Sorry,"dyed" is not a good word to express,but I can't think of a good word for it.
DSC_0108.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0106.JPG
    DSC_0106.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
I'm very happy with the basic shape,but I welcome constructive criticism.Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks.

nosecone.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice. And good to see I have company in wanting to add a cm plus to the length! The nose can only ever look exactly right if the fuselage is right, of course. I still have my suspicions that the V3 and pyro kits have fractionally over-steep upper fuselage slopes. How this can possibly be in the pyro casting, I have no idea - could well be wrong, but that's how it strikes me anyway. Also the pyro underside seems to slope upwards a tad more abruptly than in the pyro ref. None of which is going to help nose modification.

Thank you Colin!

I still have my suspicions that the V3 and pyro kits have fractionally over-steep upper fuselage slopes. How this can possibly be in the pyro casting, I have no idea - could well be wrong, but that's how it strikes me anyway.

I think it depends on which X-wing you look at.In my opinion,RED 3 has a more gentle slope.
It looks like the right side is steaper than the left side on pyro kits which means each X-Wing could have its own individual shape on each fuselage in my opinion.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back