NuBSG Long Range Radio - Finished- now with pretty pictures!

epilepticsquirl

Sr Member
Hey all,
I'm a big BSG fan and have been wanting to scratch build something easy from the show for the longest time. So after some inspiration from another thread, I decided on tackling the long range radio! I used future-past.com as a general guideline in building my radios. I wasn't going for screen accurate, but wanted to build something that would fit right at home with the shoe.

The screen used radio is actually an old Motorola HT-440 with a bunch of greebles attached. I couldn't find that particular model for cheap anywhere, so I decided on just using the HT-220. Same basic body but with some differences. I'm actually pretty happy I used this one instead of the more accurate one. I scored a pair on e-bay for $20. Looks like i'll be making two of em! They were pretty ugly when I got em. Poor things, the stories these babies could tell.
View attachment 58256

So first thing I did was scrub em clean with a alternate combo of Simple Green and %91 Isopropyl Alcohol. I wish I took an after picture, those things were filthy. Then I shot it with my favorite primer, Rustoleum gray filler primer.
View attachment 58257

Doesn't look like the same radios eh?
View attachment 58258

The radios on the show looked more like a gunship gray to me, so I hit em both with Tamiya TS-48 Gunship Gray.
View attachment 58259

Starting to come along now. I decided that I wanted to add some text that looked like it belonged there and had a function. So I figured that in the world of BSG, each radio would have a unique encoded signal. Each pilot/marine would then be associated with that particular comm. So i settled on my B-day with initials. My second radio has my sister's b-day with initials. So I whipped up a pair of decals using the trusty HandelGothic BT font and applied em. The original Motorola label was actually a metal plate, so I just scrubbed the paint off and applied. I love the added effect that the scrubbed paint gave.
View attachment 58260

I know the ribbed safety mat isn't accurate to the show, but I could really care less. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and I like how it looks. Here I got the stuff on the front and sides.

View attachment 58261

One of my radio has a different backing, I'm going to call that one my Hero radio. Here's a pic of the back, and you can also see the grip tape that I added on the side PTT button.

View attachment 58264

I also added two leds to the front of the radio; one green and one red. After ohm'ing everything out, I was able to use the radio's buttons to control the lights. The toggle switch turns em on, and I have it so that the squeal dims and brightens the red led.

View attachment 58262
View attachment 58263

I have it powered by a 12volt in the battery compartment.

Last edited:
Re: NuBSG Long Range Radio

As far as the antenna goes, I have an Astro Tool Removal that were used for the thick antennas; so i'm good to go there. I've got a neat looking little metal antenna looking thing for the secondary antenna so i'm good to go there. I just need to attach them to the radios.

I'm actually wondering if I should add the speaker grill to this particular prop or not. I'm digging how it looks without it, so i'm kind of at a crossroads regarding that.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion on it. Thanks guys

Not bad of a start. You just need the mesh over the speaker and an aeronautics "front release connecter" removal tool for each of them and you'll be closer to screen accurate. :D

Thanks man, If it wasn't for your thread, I probably wouldn't have rekindled the fire for this project.

That extractor tool isn't exactly the cheapest piece of aluminum. I have no freaking idea what it's for as the tool itself is just a spring loaded pin. But I did manage to get one. Just deciding on whether I want to mold it or not.

View attachment 58274

I attempted to make a grill, but it ended being a fail. I'm thinking i'll just have shapeways print it for me.
View attachment 58275

Nice job, even if it is a 220. I picked up an HT-440 some time back but couldn't figure out what the antenna was. Do you have a model number or a link for that?

Thanks,
Jim

Got some work done on my Hero radio. I got the leds wired up and working the way I want them to. On my other radio, I screwed up the wiring when I was taking it apart and broke the PTT switch. So it's wired so that a switch turns both leds on and the squeal dimms the red led. Not so on my hero radio. The wiring was a little different this time around, and I actually too a picture when I was finished!

Here you see the completed wiring of the radio. The battery is a 12 volt that works perfectly for my application. They're designed to operate a transmitter for at least a year continuously; this setup should out last my life. :lol
View attachment 58525

On my hero I've got it set up so that when you flick the switch, the green led turns on, like so.
View attachment 58526

When I push the side PTT button, the red led comes on, like so.
View attachment 58527

I still need to finish attaching the antenna and see about ordering me a grill from shapeways. There's also a couple of decals I want to place around the radio; like text that says "Pwr" "Tx" and maybe a phoenix logo on the back somewhere.

Thanks for looking!

I got some decal work done on my radio today :)

added some text beneath the leds. These weren't on the screen used but it's the little details that really bring a prop to life.
View attachment 58600
Once the decal dries, you shouldn't see any of the lines that well.

Also added the BSG logo on a plate that I placed over some Motorola markings on the back.
View attachment 58599

Might try to get the antenna attached tonight.

Yeah, at the time I was looking, for some reason I couldn't find any HT-400's around. Now they've popped up like weeds and are available for about $10 plus shipping. :unsure

So not much to report. I got the antenna affixed to my hero radio, and moved some switches around.
View attachment 58853

Here you can see that I attached the antenna to where the channel selector was. I used 5 min epoxy, worked like a charm. :thumbsup I also moved the channel selector knob to the off/vol position. I liked the way the knob looked and wanted to retain it. I think it creates a more interesting look, as opposed to the regular knobs.

View attachment 58854

I also added the side corrugated mat on the side. On my hero radio I spent a little more time and cut a groove for this portion of the side. My other radio doesn't have this detail.
View attachment 58855

That's it for now, still need the other skinny antenna. I also scored another Astro Extractor tool on the bay for my other radio; now I don't have to mold the antenna! :)

Re: NuBSG Long Range Radio - Build Log

Not much to update, other than I got my second "antenna" in the mail today. I swear, some shippers make absolutely no sense. Use a shoebox to pack something the size of a sharpie marker. :wacko
View attachment 59275

I guess he's really shooting for that 5 star rating! :lol

Do you have a picture of a screen cap of the radio you can post so we can see what it will look like. Thanks.

I just got a rep point for this thread! How very generous of you my australian friend! :lol

Just wanted to say this project is still alive and not dead! I've got the last parts of the build on my way!
A fellow RPF member, Anton the Swede, was able to lathe the secondary antenna's for my radio! Here they are in the hands of the kind swiss waiting to get sent!
View attachment 75423

As for the grill, I was hesitant to hand it over to shapeways because the cheap material is not without it's flaws. It's got a rough texture that would need quite a bit of work. But since they have now introduced the polished option; I'm a little more comfortable with having it printed! It's slated to arrive sometime mid-december; so I'm pretty stoked to have this project draw to a close sometime soon!
View attachment 75424

Here's a cap of the radio i'm basing this on as requested by GoldCylon1.

walki-talki-1.png

Photo courtesy of Galactiguise.com If the owners wish me to take down the picture I will be happy to oblige. :thumbsup

Once this project is done it'll be time to tackle my BSG Munitions Launch Key that i've been putting off!
View attachment 75429
The blades of the model need to be completely redone and the whole thing needs to be scaled correctly, but it's there.

It's just awesome seeing this still coming together, and well at that. Can't wait to see this get done and see your Munitions Launch key.

Thanks CB, good to know some people are following!

Well Anton the Swede pulled through and delivered an utmost awesome package to me. Not only did he deliver what I wanted, he also through in an additional little gift! What a great guy! I don't what they say about the Swiss, he's allright. :thumbsup

So they were admittedly a little rough when I got em, but I soon took care of that! I chucked em on my drill press, and sanded em to my liking with sandpaper. mmm, pretty.

View attachment 76500

I then hacked off the excess metal with my grinder; and after some fiddling I got them to sit where I wanted them on the radio. I did secondary radio first, good thing I did because I accidentally put in too much epoxy in the hole. whoops! My Hero radio came out perfect and i couldn't be more happier with the results.

View attachment 76498

Here they are side by side

View attachment 76499

I still have one more update before I can call this a finished project; and that's the addition of the grill which should get here mid December, can't wait!

Gret that you did get them but. I. Have nver even set my foot in the land of the swiss but in sweden is were i live(hahahah i am qite used to this mixup) sweden switzerland

Gret that you did get them but. I. Have nver even set my foot in the land of the swiss but in sweden is were i live(hahahah i am qite used to this mixup) sweden switzerland

whoops! My poor geography skills are showing!

Your upgrades look great. Awesome work, and thanks for the screen cap.

Thanks! Glad you like em!

Last edited:

So today UPS delivered the grill I had shapeways print up. It was delivered via overnight so that was even better!

View attachment 77118

I got to say, I am really impressed with the polished option of "White strong and flexible." It feels like a finished part you would get from a kit, without the bubbles! Unfortunately I modeled it a tad bit too thick so I need to sand it down a bit to where I like it. I'll work on this tonight and hopefully post the finished radios tonight! :thumbsup

Don't be afraid to post your thoughts, I don't bite too hard!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back