ROTJ Speederbike reference needed

Thats the only pic that they showed but it seems like its already helped ID a lot of important parts, i cant even imagine what other pics was in that auction, it said that there were 80+ photographs in the lot all from ROTJ, maybe the winner will share some of the unpublished photographs :). most likely not since it went for $15,000!

Profiles in History

Thats an awesome find for the handlebars! I added that and your bt46 parts to the map as well. What do you think about the panther part? I thought it was a possibility since the black tubes get thinner towards the front.

speeder_bike_part_id_mapsvg-image3004-912.png

Lee,
I think I know what you are referring to now.....the inner body part with the "ribs" right? If so, I can't tell going off of the scans I am using from my post above. Man! I, want to look further into this but I have to wake up in 6 hours. To be continued tomorrow.

One final note. Obviously, the intake part is removed but at least now it seems that the brake part was put inside the opening of the intake. Good info to take measurements. I'm still not 100% sure the intake was from 312T....but this will help research it further.

Joe

Last edited:
Joe,

Thanks man, and thanks btw for sharing this pic! Hmmm....gun barrels look like a great hunch! Did you find the 8rad part? Ok, bed time. :D

Joe

It looks like a similar brake part from the 312T...like the one in the intake....goes up front in-between the lower vanes. You can see the "Phillips screwdriver" crosses on that part.

Joe

Last edited:
Ok, I made an id that I'm 99% sure about. The engine turbine part is made up of two 1/20 BT46 wheel parts. Parts D5 and D6. You can see the spokes in this Photoshopped picture. The side profile shows all the features to be correct.

If this is true then the original 312T nose id may be wrong. Besides, after bumping up the 1/12 312T nose and the 1/20 BT46 body, the scale is way off. Any ideas for a new nose?

sbintake.jpg
sbwheel4.jpg

The turbine kind of looks like these two parts together.

sbwheel5.jpg
sbsheel6.jpg

And last, the BT46 hump looks to be unmodified...I think. You can see a hint of the edge under the blanket. Speaking of the blanket...I could have sworn I saw a kit blanket...maybe a 1/15 or 1/24 tank?

sbbt46hump.jpg

So...here are some new maps I just did up.

Joe

SBmap1.jpg

SBmap2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice maps.

When I look at those two main rods at the front I sometimes see Gepard for those... sometimes.
The part ID'd as the flak gun reminds me of a Tamiya PT15 gun.
The BT46 wheels look spot on to me - great find!
The shuttle part is also good ID to whoever found that.

The cone above the 312t caliper in the nose, reminds me of a vintage F1 side mirror, maybe 312b? On my phone again so cant check properly, but its a lead?

Lee

What do you think about the panther part? I thought it was a possibility since the black tubes get thinner towards the front.

I clearly remember this maquette being mentioned in the run-up and release of ROTJ in 1983, and it was said that Johnston had used paint brushes on it. They could only be those front forks.

I messed up on the 2nd map. The handlebars are the wrong color and I forgot the 8rad part....I'll fix that later.

Thanks, Lee and Billy (that is your real name, right?). It's good to hear good words from master id'ers! I myself am digging the 8rad id!

Lee, I agree it might be a 1/12 part. It appears to be made up of more than one part. Like two half-cones (possibly side mirrors) on each side of a middle part.

KD1, that is awesome but sad info. The search for accurate sticks would be horrible! :D

Also, I've been looking at the 1/20 312 T3 for a possible nose donor. I haven't seen any scans or good pictures of the side dimples but the scoop is present like on the 312T. On the SS model, there also seems to be some dimples next to the handle bars...in the direction of the seat. I haven't completely ruled out the 1/12 312T. I'm working out the modifications to the 312T in my head that they would have made in order to make it look like the SS nose.

And the round piece in the center part of the bike, in between all the hoses, looks like a part E10 from the BT44 except that it doesn't have a hole in the middle.

Joe

Last edited:
That's probably the best proto (besides the paintjob lol) they ever built for Star Wars, in my point of view of course !

You guys are doing a great job !!

Julien, funny you mention that! It so happens...of my three absolute favorite Star Wars models, two were concepts and made by Joe Johnston. Well, the ESB AT-ST isn't entirely a concept but most, if not all, the donor parts were directly transferred from his initial concept model. Which scares me about this model. We know the wide range of kits he used on the AT-ST! Also, the initial lack of reference seems like a weird coincidence. Maybe someone will come forward with awesome pics! Fingers crossed!

Joe

Cool, 300th post! I hope it's helpful!

I also forgot to mention that my idea about the 312B part being 2 parts is proven. If you look at the new 3/4 view, you can make out the jagged edge of 312B part B8. As you know, B8 is flat...I think the top half comes from the bigger body part in the same kit.

Also, after taking measurements and comparing the parts I have, the 312T is more than likely the nose donor. Most of my measurements were very close. I'm guessing that the model nose is a combination of the forward cowl and part A1. A1 adds material and rounds out the nose.

I also think that the proposed 8rad part is incorrect. The details are not the same.

Joe

Last edited:
love how much more has been id'd on this just from one pic, I know ive been looking at the pic and the 8 rad part is close but not right, similar shape though.

okay is it just me or is the mystery part in between the front nose of the 312t and the bt46 part? maybe it was added in later?... just thinking out loud

speederbikemissingpart.jpg

Yeah, this pic is no joke! I hope whoever won the auction is filthy rich. Hopefully, that was chump change to them and will have no problem posting them somewhere.

I suspect the intake was removable and that these pics were taken at the same session. Also, if you look at the side shot, you can make out a part in the seam of the mystery intake part and the BT46. I imagine it was some kind of knee gaurd or something. It may have been attached to the intake as it isn't in the 3/4 view. I posted enlarged part maps at the StudioScaleModelers board which shows it a little better.

I'm also interested when this model was put together. I know it was built for ROTJ but perhaps the Speederbike idea was thrown around during ESB. Was the Hoth stop-mo shooting done late in production? I'm trying to figure out Joe Johnston's patterns. Anyone know what other models he built? Not participated in building but built from top to bottom.

For the linkage part right next to the top 312B part....it may be one or more part but for some reason it reminds me of an electronic or wire clip of some sort. In the 3/4 view, it's the part(s) right above the BT46 linkage.

Joe

Last edited:
I can't get to that site at the moment but any info that can be used to id is helpful.

Ok, new maps.....kbilly id'd the 20mm Flak A2, formally known as the 8rad part. I looked into the hoses and propose that the two hoses right behind the 312B nose section parts are also 312B hoses F11 and F12. I'm moving the other hoses around to look for others.

I think there is another BT44 brake part in between the forks just forward of the nose.

And last, I bumped up the 312T nose, 20mm Flak A2 and BT46 linkage for an overhead view. I have to admit that we are moving in the right direction.

Joe

SpeederBike-Map1-small.jpg

SpeederBike-Map2-small.jpg

Looks to me like there is something funky going on with the 312t front bodywork too.
Check the front intake.....its complete on the bike, yet, the front of the nose has a lip beneath it, which isnt on the kit part, until you join it to the lower kit bodywork, so a bit of deft joining and cutting seems to have been done.
Not sure if its my imagination, but im sure i can see a join line on the prop?

lee

I totally agree, Lee. I was thinking the same above in post #92. I had dismissed the 312T also because of the tiny intake being off until I took measurements proving to myself that it was the 1/12 that donates it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the seam! :)

Check out the StudioScaleModelers....more progress was made.

Joe

That site was struggling to load last night but seems to be OK now.

Looking at the 1/20 312 T3 parts laid out the way you mentioned, Yorkie, the exhaust pipes on the right side look awfully similar to the set of pipes on top of the BT46 wheel parts that make up the turbine. Interesting.....

Joe

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back