ROTJ Speederbike reference needed

But we all know how accurate "officially released info" actually is. I did a very quick measurement. I scaled up the sideview with the ruler to actual size and imported the 1/12 312T kit scan and scaled it up accordingly.

From the side view I get a total length of 82,4cm or 32,42 inches. The actual nosecone from the 312T, although correct in shape and detailing is too small by a factor of about 2. So unless there were 1/6 commercial kits available at the time, they scratch built at least some of the larger parts for this model.

If anyone wants to check my measurements, here's a pdf (1.7Mb):

ROTJ_Speederbike_main_dimensions.pdf

Marvin

Last edited:
Oh and here's two pictures I hadn't seen online before, which I though were cool. Damn if you see that puppet, you just got to build one. Imagine having that stare at you at home!

ROTJ_Speederbike_Concept_Ref_03.jpg

ROTJ_Speederbike_Concept_Ref_07.jpg

Marvin

Last edited:
Id have to agree with Jay, the parts are too large to be donors from the box Marvin.
That back end is BT46 Brabham, and way too large to be the actual kit part bodyshell.
I think a search for larger kits will be futile too, they seem to be all modeled off the Tamiya parts, as i said, its pretty much spot on what they did with the A wing, modeled off the F14/F16, and scaled up by hand.

lee

Yeah I agree too. Parts are way smaller than the filming model. Fun to see that they really did stick very close to the original kit parts. Took little artistic license when they were upscaling. Guess I'll be vacforming these parts then.

I'm a bit surprised that I haven't been able to find a single top view of the filming model online. I will need it if I'm going to make plugs for vac forming.

Marvin

Marvin, why dont i just send out the donors (on loan lol) and make a facsimile of them?
Ive got all the bodywork, bar the Shuttle, for me, that would be the best way to go as thats what ILM actually did?

lee

Lee, sounds like a plan! I'll keep hunting for more ref just to check if the guys at ILM did a perfect scale-up.

Marvin

Unfortunatly the parts are not "pantographed", they are not exact scaled up copies, I learnt it the hard way when I tried building a smaller sized using the actual kit parts. But having the kitparts in hand will really help you !!

No, I stopped after having cut the 312T parts. I was not convainced by the result, everything went into the trash bin. I had the hope to build a studio scale someday but I dont know how to reproduce the forks, so until I find a way to reproduce them, I'll wait ! :)

I know what you mean. Those forks look pretty daunting. I was thinking I would make a weak but corretly shaped master and have local metal caster or juweler cast some metal copies. I believe I read somewhere that this is how ILM did it.

Marvin

Last edited:
I know what you mean. Those forks look pretty daunting. I was thinking I would make a weak but corretly shaped master and have local metal caster of juweler cast some metal copies. I believe I read somewhere that this is how ILM did it.

Marvin

Yeah that's in the SaG book ! Can't wait to see the result !

Julien, you know your stuff everytime out the damn gate lol, your so right, the 312T bodywork copy is way more bulbous on the prop, BT46 body is also slightly different, but the rear vents, almost a spot on copy, this looks blooming hard lol.

Couldnt the master for the forks be turned in acrylic maybe, then cast in pot metal?

Cant wait to see what you do come up with Marvin, ill get to those kits later, just looking after a very poorly little girl right now, summer snuffles.

lee

Family first!

Yes it'll be a challenge. Mostly to find local workshops that can help me with turning plastics or metals and metal casting.

Marvin

You're right!

Lol. This has got to be the model with highest number of relevant ID's that were actually NOT on the filming model. :lol

Marvin

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting to go ahead and build one from the kit parts just to see how it would turn out. But of course that would be a speculative general modeling build and not a SS.

For me there is no doubt, they are scratch to match kit parts. The FlakVeirling sheilds looks to be made of sheet metal with rivets hammered in

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back