Blade Runner 2049

and no issues with the way Leto's talking... In some ways kinda Roy Batty...
When Roy Batty spoke slowly It's because he's regulating an internal tension.
Leto speaking slowly is just him telling you that every word from his mouth is golden.
Its a big difference.

Put another way - listening to Roy Batty measuring his words is a bit scary. If I hear someone talking like Leto it's not intimidating or scary - I'd just want to bash him in the chops for being arrogant.

When Roy Batty spoke slowly It's because he's regulating an internal tension.
Leto speaking slowly is just him telling you that every word from his mouth is golden.
Its a big difference.

Put another way - listening to Roy Batty measuring his words is a bit scary. If I hear someone talking like Leto it's not intimidating or scary - I'd just want to bash him in the chops for being arrogant.

i would argue he's an arrogant character, so no issues here. A man who makes another kill himself against his will...

i would argue he's an arrogant character, so no issues here. A man who makes another kill himself against his will...
That could very well be the case but it makes me feel as if the actor has a limited appreciation of character. It wouldn't bother me so much if that exact acting choice wasn't the default of so many starting actors playing villains in B- movies. Invariably it's devoid of depth or nuance.

Of course I could be wrong. Like I said, I'm probably the outlier here.

we'll agree to disagree. That's just my perception.

Last edited:
Well, how do you want him to play the villain? As for Batty, his speech is slow because he's dying:behave He just has a few minutes to state his piece before it disappears like tears in the rain. Leto is arrogant because he creates life (God syndrome) and since he thinks he's God, he can also end the life he has created; hence his arrogance!

As for the pseudo-philosophical diatribe...well, what would you have said if you'd been in his position? A " thousand-mile-an-hour-clever-sarcastic" type of speech (à la Downey JR.) would've been out of place. So why not be deliberate in speed and content for maximum effect? Tyrell was the same: heck, his ivory tower is decorated with a clear Napoleonic theme!! Tyrell's intent is to beat the Voight-Kampff test...why? To show his cleverness/intellect over everybody else. "I'm the best"!
Humans trying to be like Gods are always portrayed the same in movies (in general)...so it would be nice to see someone coming up with another type of character and behavior , but until that day, we're stuck with the models of many portraits of villains "created" along the years in movies (my two cents worth;))

It's a good point about Tyrell. I probably have more of a problem with the sequence than the performance.
I really don't enjoy scenes constructed just to demonstrate the character's might by having a group of supporting characters whose sole function is to provide exposition and react in awe. It's been done to death in lesser films. To me that's what this short amounted to.

Sure, Tyrell speaks with arrogance but, when he's talking to Deckard and Rachel there's more going on between them than just Tyrell being the smartest guy in the room. Tyrell even shows a bit of fear when Roy Batty first advances on him. As far as characterization goes Tyrell may be smart but he also looks completely pathetic otherwise.

Well, how do you want him to play the villain? As for Batty, his speech is slow because he's dying He just has a few minutes to state his piece before it disappears like tears in the rain.
Well I wasn't referring to the Tears in Rain speech so much but moments like Roy's intro ... "Time ... enough" or "gosh... you've got some really nice toys here" or when he's toying with Deckard "Four, five ... how to stay alive." - there's always an undercurrent of restrained tension. When he's telling Pris "... there's only two of us now" you can see his coiled emotions just breaking out.

If you want to make the case that I might also be a bit biased against Leto because of his Joker I won't deny that.

Last edited:
Not so much worried with Leto either. But the big character, that seems to have flown under the radar, is Gaff! That's right folks, he's in the movie and so far no trailers, no pics have shown us where he fits into the story. Is he going to "save the day" as in the first movie? Or...

Was watching the live IGN stream from Comic Con and the guy interviewing the cast and director was so nervous that he blurted out Gaffs roll in the movie in his first statement. Anyone else see that? Almost through the ashtray at the Bravia.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use Gaff to confirm that Deckard is a replicant with his memories implanted, like all those fan theories

Star Wars was more interesting when Luke was just a farmboy from nowhere and Obi Wan was just some burnt out ronin from a forgotten age. It all went downhill when we discover Luke is the "chosen one" and Obi Wan is one of the most important Jedi in the universe.

BR was more interesting when nobody was particularly "special". Why do these shows always make the same mistakes?

Nah...Gaff is not here to spill the beans whether Deckard is a Rep or not (NOT!) He's simply here to tell why he didn't kill Rachael...there's the story (that's why we saw Rachael's pic in one of the trailer);)

Don't know what to do with that one:confused This is taken completely out of context and cannot be understood (AFAIC)...maybe it's just me;)

Just re-watched Sicaro last night. Damn, that is one hell of a fine movie. I love it more every time I watch it. The story is so well told. Great characters, acted well. Very thoughtful cinematography and an amazing score to boot! Having Villeneuve at the helm of this one along with Johannsson and Zimmer doing the score gives me great hope. Same editor too (Joe Walker), which can often make or break a film as we have all experienced with the original BladeRunner.

If you haven't watched Sicaro yet, do yourself a favor ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back