Dr. Strangelove survival kit

On the topic of condoms. I bought 2 boxes of "Thins Service Packet" based on what I saw in Adam's kit. They seemed to be readily available online so I grabbed them.
View attachment 631078
Then I started to see these WWII survival kits, this one with "Cellos" brand.
View attachment 631091
Don't know if these carried into the 60's or which would be more accurate.

Another Ebay purchase. vintage 1960s nylons... I should paid closer attention to the screen shot. If the nylons are folded on the left under the pistol, there are no graphics on the packaging. I need to make a third package anyway so I may reproduce three clear plastic bags. The ones I bought look a little big also.
nylons.jpg

Your "Food Packet, Survival" appears to be a very close match to the screencap, likely differing only in date. That's a good find.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 228
I can find similar shaped small bottles, used for beads or crafts, but stoppered with corks. The Survival Pack bottles look to have some kind of white plastic stoppers, of a more modern or industrial nature... Perhaps laboratory glass vials would be an option?

-MJ

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 170
I can find similar shaped small bottles, used for beads or crafts, but stoppered with corks. The Survival Pack bottles look to have some kind of white plastic stoppers, of a more modern or industrial nature... Perhaps laboratory glass vials would be an option?

-MJ

The first thing that it makes me think of are perfume testers, you know the really small bottles with white caps, a bit like these:

bannertester-P1.jpg

Nice! I was look at lab glass companies last night as suggested by Mike. Ive got an idea of the height, but they are usually listed by volume (mostly in drams??) Will keep at it.

Working on some gum packs. Looks like Spearmint with white at both ends is a hard one to find... if anyone knows what the sides and bottom of the pack really look like let me know.
Wrigley_wrapper_small.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some misc. refs for the gum. The unfolded wrapper scan is from the thirties.

-MJ

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 975996411_a4ef500fcc_b.jpg
    975996411_a4ef500fcc_b.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 161
  • packaging_spearmint.jpg
    packaging_spearmint.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 129
  • wrigleys_spearmint_seit_1893_orig19440.jpg
    wrigleys_spearmint_seit_1893_orig19440.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 162
Mike, I think you found the missing link! I hadn't seen that German(?) add before. My inclination was to go with the pack directly in the middle which is not represented in the 2nd photo. I dunno the 3rd photo looks pretty dated. This is what I used and kind of hobbled it together:
wrig pack.jpg

Didn't recognize an item in Adam's collection until I started researching military food. This is a "P38" military issue can opener in it's wrapper. I don't think you need it with the "food packet" but I'll throw it in with the extras.
Can_opener.jpg

Tried making some gum today. Somewhere I lost about a 16" of an inch all the way around, first attempt. I chose to print an image directly out of photoshop thinking a vector image would look too new... im going to try a vector for the next one. Bright laser paper on my inkjet printer didn't look too bad, will use my laser printer on V2. My girlfriend suggested covering the print with packing tape, I think that was a great idea.
Wrigley_P1.jpg

Busy weekend. Reworked wrapper art as a vector in illustrator adding side art I hobbled together, don't know if its entirely accurate but I like the way it turned out. (Used the laser printer this time) Busted out the calipers a made a wooden template to help me fold the packs the right size, this was a huge help. I used packing tape again which was a pain and ended up with a lot of wrinkles (hidden in photo). I would not have been able to handle these without the tape, the printing would have gotten messed up. Made all the folds first before assembling, used CA glue for the long seem... had to use hot glue for the ends. I have a new respect for someone who can build a machine to make these and register the art perfectly in relation to where the corners are. Im happy. 9 packs chewing gum, check!
9packs_chewing gum.jpg

They may have some design embossed on the top of the cap, but I can't be sure.

These came Saturday. I think they may be on the small side, 2" long. Sold as "vending machine lipsticks". Im not going to spend too much time on this one unless something comes up. 3 lipsticks, check!
3_lipsticks.jpg

Had been working on the "Super Match" ammo boxes and made a mock up, found back and side art. Was at a garage sale Sunday and this guy had all sorts of clever signs up about shooting trespassers, so I asked him if he would give me an empty .45 ammo box. He was happy to tell me about guns and offered me boxes for ammo he thought would be much better for taking someone down. I told him the .45 would be fine. Im glad I don't have to go out and buy a box of bullets now. The box I made turned out to be smaller (left). I guess the box size depends on the way the bullets are stored inside, newer ones have styrofoam or plastic inserts. Im going to scale up my box to be closer to the new one (right). 5 1/2" x 2 13/16" x 1 3/8". Hopefully more stuff comes in the mail today!
ammo_P1.jpgnew_45.jpg

In the mail today a Camillus folding knife. Just below the grip of the pistol there is a folding knife, I wouldn't have notice it but it's one of the extras included in Adam's collection. I will include a Camillus brand because it seems likely and is a close match to the photo, otherwise i don't have any other clues to support.
2.jpgcalknife.jpg

Nice job on the gum, and nice score on the lipstick and the knife.

... Is that a pen to the left of the pistol in the screencap?

-MJ

Nice job on the gum, and nice score on the lipstick and the knife.

... Is that a pen to the left of the pistol in the screencap?

-MJ
Thank you thank you! The knives are pretty common, the blades are all dated... I was waiting for an early 60s in good condition. Lipsticks, I think there was a subcategory for collectable (ebay)

Definitely pens, Adam has 3 pens in his collection. Im guessing they are fountain pens with caps vs ball point. No good info to go on. I had looked around a little last week probably a Schaffer or Bic. Not a pen expert (yet)

Waiting for cool things in the mail and hunting "cold war calculators" as shown in the Kubrick exhibit. Thanks for the feedback
effects calculator.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back