Sandtrooper Variant of E-11 - Has anyone ever tried it?

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
So the story goes that Lucas film crew didn't want to try to bring firing weapons to Tunisia or were forced to modify them, or something... The result was that the weapons used in Tunisa had replica receivers or parts of the guns were replicas. You can clearly see this with the MG-15, MG-34, and the Sterlings.

Some of the Sterlings turned up a few years ago and it is odd that they have cast metal back halves as well as cast metal handles. I have a sterling that needs work and was thinking about taking this approach instead of the more typical approach seen. My question is, has anyone ever tried making solid cast metal pieces for the Sterling, and if not, would anyone be interested? I have no idea what the cost would be or how complicated the process of metal casting is, but I would LOVE to see this done!

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's very interesting. I wonder what they weigh?

Since my only E-11 replica is a hasbro toy, I'm up for anything. The caveat is that I am out of work and wouldn't be able to participate other than moral support and maybe as a sounding board. You know, because that's what you need on a forum like this... :lol

I don´t know how i missed this thread but i would be definatly in if someone would tackle this!
I read somewhere that the back half was cast in aluminium.

I also have one Sterling waiting to be completed so please don´t let this die! :love

Well, I have an unfinished E-11 and if I could find someone to work with, I would love to see this done. I just dont' know what it would take or how much it would cost and because it doesn't look good, I have a feeling there wouldn't be a lot of demand... still, I'd love to do it.

Hey Markus,

i knew you would chime in... :lol
How did you do the back half, did someone cast it for you in metal or aluminium?
ME WANT!

Looks like they took the stocks off the Sterlings and put them on the casts too, interesting...guess it makes them look a whole lot neater. Looking forward to the pics.

show us, show us, show us... :love
did you do it by yourself? any possibility to make these parts available to us too?

Here you go...

There are several variations of the stunt ANH E-11 out there and the one I built is -obviously- not the one you posted pictures of Art ;)
The grip frame is something I´m not totally satisfied with but I haven´t changed it since I built this blaster about 5 - 6 years ago...

DSCF1438.jpg

DSCF1437.jpg

DSCF1436.jpg

DSCF1435.jpg

I still have the mold of the sterling rear end but it lost its roundness due to it being from a cheap silicone (OOMO 30)

Markus

Last edited:
Interesting project... I don't see much demand but I'm sure a few would be interested...

I have the equipment and ability to cast in aluminum, if the project heads in that direction...

It looks like a sizable chunk of aluminum on the real deals, not just a rear plug but it appears to me that it's a complete aluminum plug from the barrel back, possibly turned down and slid into the cut off receiver...

it appears to me that it's a complete aluminum plug from the barrel back, possibly turned down and slid into the cut off receiver...

that´s what i think too!
what do you think would a aluminium part cost? i´m highly interested in getting this done!
i always wanted that version of the E-11 as my main interest is for the TD´s!

what do you think would a aluminium part cost?

Anything would be purely speculation at this time, aluminum isn't the most expensive metal but it's cost it certainly up there right now...

For projects like this the 'cheapest' and 'best' option for me is securing it by opportunity... A few warped or cracked alloy car rims out of a dumpster at a tire shop or some scrap lawn mower engine blocks come spring when people buy new ones provides for a decent amount of casting grade aluminum... That or watching craigslist for free and cheap cast aluminum stuff, basically just pound the ground for a few weeks...

Sand casting might be an option using their original seam line, but I see some undercuts that will likely cause an issue, leading me to believe lost wax might be better... But with lost wax comes more cost as it's a lot more processes to get to the final product...

Resin, low temp alloy or cold cast would be easier and likely cheaper as you could simply use a silicone mold...

I´ll be in for sure if this happens and i´m quite sure there are other blaster guys that would want one of those back parts also.
So what do we need to do to make this happen?

It's not dead with me but it's also not a priority, but still very much alive either way... I don't currently have a E11 buildup to pull a mold off of for this part, I have several parts kits but they would need a little work to get to the point this part could be molded off them and right now my time is limited... And the grip/handle is another story all together, that would have to be planned out a little before molding...

That and the most important factor right now, is that for every 10° cooler it is outside is another 10° I have to heat and maintain the metal... My kilns can certainly overcome the winter weather but either way warmer weather works out just that much better all around for doing metal castings of this magnitude since I don't have indoor facilities for it...

Flynn, if you think you are up for this, lets plan now and do it when the weather is warmer! I'd definitely be up for this!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back