Solo: A Star Wars Story

Re: Star Wars Anthology (Young Han Solo)

Quite often it feels like Disney has someone here on the RPF doing damage control for them. Gotta nip that negativity in the bud, right? ;)

Last guy who said crap like that got banned.

That could be misconstrued as a threat, Bryancd. But I'm sure you were just offering some friendly advice, correct? After all, intimidation would only serve to validate what was merely a tongue-in-cheek remark.

I mean, it's not like I'm incessantly challenging any and all forum members whose opinions clash with my own. Some people might consider that to be overbearing behavior. Wouldn't you agree?

A little late for that.

I don't know what to think about Ron Howard stepping in. Because I have no idea what his SWIQ is.

Bryancd is fond of saying that the people working on these films care deeply about Star Wars. That may be true. But it doesn't matter, their films will suck, if they have low SWIQs. I know lots of people who care deeply about Star Wars, who have woefully inadequate SWIQs, and would make absolutely dreadful Star Wars movies.

The Wook

I like all the considerable effort and thought you've put in to constructing this theory of SWIQ's Wook.
EXCEPT the person with presumably the highest SWIQ in the world also THEN went on to make Star Wars movies with the lowest SWIQ's in their history (according to a great many). Can you now explain to me how your hypothesis takes into account George Lucas and the prequels?
PS: One paragraph or less will do.

And has nobody here seen "Rush"? Ron Howard did an absolutely stunning piece of work with this. Not only did he make a thrilling racing movie about Formula One in the 70's, but he captured great performances from his cast and got the style and fashion of that period spot on. One of the very few "sports" movies I've ever been to see at the cinema because I really wanted to.
Given the "hot rod" nature of "The Han Solo" movie from what we have seen so far and Hans naturally competitive character then if Ron can get that kind of performance from Alden and the rest this could be exactly the edge the film needs, rather than the "23 Hyperspace Jump Street" comedy angle. Please just watch "Rush" then try to imagine what they could do with the race sequences in SW alone . And, if they are going to cut things from the film and replace them, I bloody well hope they are planning to get rid of those very horrible practical set vehicles with something more impressive digitally.

PPS I don't work for Disney either. But like Bryancd, I prefer to be optimistic about the future of this film. The fact that they have stepped in doesn't make this a disaster, what they've done by changing its direction now has probably preventing it from becoming one.

I like all the considerable effort and thought you've put in to constructing this theory of SWIQ's Wook.
EXCEPT the person with presumably the highest SWIQ in the world also THEN went on to make Star Wars movies with the lowest SWIQ's in their history (according to a great many). Can you now explain to me how your hypothesis takes into account George Lucas and the prequels?
PS: One paragraph or less will do.

People change. SWIQs change. Sometimes they improve over time, like mine. And sometimes they diminish over time, like George's.

I have a higher SWIQ than George Lucas. And I have had a higher SWIQ than George since 1982, when he made Return of the Jedi.

Was that short enough for ya?

The Wook

ps~Never saw Rush. I'll have to check it out.

I gotta say, not a HUGE fan of Ron Howard... BUT...

Come on... Willow was good. It still holds up.

CINDERELLA MAN was awesome. One of my favorite movies. But then I love Russel Crowe... HE WAS THE BEST SINGER IN LES MIS (I'm probably the only one who thinks this)

People change. SWIQs change. Sometimes they improve over time, like mine. And sometimes they diminish over time, like George's.

I have a higher SWIQ than George Lucas. And I have had a higher SWIQ than George since 1982, when he made Return of the Jedi.

Was that short enough for ya?

The Wook

ps~Never saw Rush. I'll have to check it out.

Yes. Somewhat. The phrase "Its never wise to argue with a Wookie" comes immediately to mind. For many reasons.

And please do check "Rush" out, I think you'd like it.

Ron made Gung Ho,which is one of my favorite Michael Keaton performances. I think he'll do just fine.

A little late for that.

I don't know what to think about Ron Howard stepping in. Because I have no idea what his SWIQ is.

Bryancd is fond of saying that the people working on these films care deeply about Star Wars. That may be true. But it doesn't matter, their films will suck, if they have low SWIQs. I know lots of people who care deeply about Star Wars, who have woefully inadequate SWIQs, and would make absolutely dreadful Star Wars movies.

The Wook

By your standards, I would be genuinely interested in knowing which directors or writers you think might be better suited to making a good SW movie.

The only thing "OT-traditional" about TFA was that it stole the plot of ANH. Every bit of magic in ANH was lost In the retelling.

The Wook

Nah, I'd say it shows a ton of "SWIQ".

Perhaps you feel that the movie sucked but that isn't much of logical rebuttal. Everything from the storyline, to the actors, to the directing/editing, the pacing, the tone, the locations, the sets, the props, the costumes, the type of action scenes . . . that movie couldn't get much more OT than it was.

If SWIQ is going to be reduced to a vague idea like "it's as cool as the OT" or "it felt right" then we're down to a pure intangible opinion. That's more of a personal thing.

I have also never liked his films. In a way, I feel the same about him as I do Tim Burton. At the heart, their films are actually poorly paced, lack character and are boring.

Ron is the perfect Hollywood director. He's like the template. But that also means his films are too dry for me.

Which means that I think he will be perfect for star wars. The franchise could use someone with an old-school approach. Someone who doesn't necessarily used flash in the pan ridiculous set pieces that seem to overshadow an actual plot. Someone who plans the movie out and recognizes, beforehand, things that don't work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That all seems OK except for the fact that IMO, when Ron Howard goes for the gag or the emotional note, it's typically quite contrived and feels ingenuine - like the awful closeup reaction shots of the baby in Willow that punctuated the story (I haven't seen the film since 1988 but I remember facepalming in the theater). That's what I mean by him "lacking nuance." Ron doesn't seem to bother with subtext or credit the audience with enough intelligence to interpret implicit information so I feel like he doesn't bother with either.

As you state Howard doesn't have a distinct directorial voice which, itself, can be a virtue (e.g. as with the late Johnathan Demme who did Silence of the Lambs, Stop Making Sense, Something Wild, Swimming to Cambodia etc.), but in the case of Howard his lack of signature simply reflects a paint-by-numbers directing style. This is my opinion.

Last edited:

Quite often it feels like Disney has someone here on the RPF doing damage control for them. Gotta nip that negativity in the bud, right? ;)
Ha! Yeah, I wonder who THAT could be... Starts with a B and ends in ryancd. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

That all seems OK except for the fact that IMO, when Ron Howard goes for the gag or the emotional note, it's typically quite contrived and feels ingenuine - like the awful closeup reaction shots of the baby in Willow that punctuated the story (I haven't seen the film since 1988 but I remember facepalming in the theater). That's what I mean by him "lacking nuance." Ron doesn't seem to bother with subtext or credit the audience with enough intelligence to interpret implicit information so I feel like he doesn't bother with either.

As you state Howard doesn't have a distinct directorial voice which, itself, can be a virtue (e.g. as with the late Johnathan Demme comes to mind who did Silence of the Lambs, Stop Making Sense, Something Wild, Swimming to Cambodia etc.), but in the case of Howard his lack of signature simply reflects a paint-by-numbers directing style. This is my opinion.
I dont think I have ever met someone that didnt enjoy Willow. First time for everything I guess. What about Backdraft? One of Kurt Russells best movies.

More movies = more variety. It's inevitable. The prequels branched out in many ways from the OT. There will be more branching out from here.

There it is in a perfect quote. It's where I'm at personally with "Star Wars" at this point in my life. Sure, I hated the prequels, but now I'll sit and watch them just the same at all the others. I'm just glad the franchise isn't sitting on a shelf with only 3 revered and 3 panned movies for all to love or lament. It's all irrelevant if we don't get more movies and more stories. It's a mythos and story that has literally thousands of years to be delved into. Of course there will be missteps along the way but who cares as long as they keep at it.

I was pretty hyped about a Han movie,...a bit disappointed with the choice of actor, but still enthusiastic all the same,...but now.....I feel like I'm preparing for a let down.....bad movies are made all the time, and I think this could be one of them,....I really hope I'm wrong

J

I dont think I have ever met someone that didnt enjoy Willow.
I didn't like willow.
What about Backdraft? One of Kurt Russells best movies.
I haven't seen it.
"Kurt Russell's best?" So you say it's on par with Escape from New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Tombstone, Death Proof, Hateful Eight (one of the best things of about that movie was him) and Guardians of the Galaxy v2? That's a tall boast.

By your standards, I would be genuinely interested in knowing which directors or writers you think might be better suited to making a good SW movie.

I can't name established directors or writers, because I don't know their SWIQs. I'd have to spend time with them discussing all the Star Wars films to know what their SWIQs are first. But if they knew I was interviewing them for the job, they might just say whatever it is they think I want to hear. So, in an ideal world, I'd hire whoever possessed the highest SWIQ, and then I would co-write and co-direct and co-cast, et cetera et cetera, with me having final say on everything, just in case it turns out their SWIQs don't match mine, and left on their own, they'd put something in the Star Wars movie that does not belong there.

Nah, I'd say it shows a ton of "SWIQ".

Perhaps you feel that the movie sucked but that isn't much of logical rebuttal. Everything from the storyline, to the actors, to the directing/editing, the pacing, the tone, the locations, the sets, the props, the costumes, the type of action scenes . . . that movie couldn't get much more OT than it was.

If SWIQ is going to be reduced to a vague idea like "it's as cool as the OT" or "it felt right" then we're down to a pure intangible opinion. That's more of a personal thing.

Well, you obviously liked the movie, and I hated it. So there's no point in debating it.

But SWIQ is about tangible things. I already gave the example of Han allowing Greedo to get off a shot. That's tangible. Leia snubbing Chewie in favor of comforting someone she's never met before in her life. That's tangible. Han surrendering his blaster and allowing himself to be roasted on a spit by a bunch of teddy bears. That's tangible. Casting an actor who's too skinny to play Darth Vader. That's tangible. Casting a 5' 7" actor to play Han Solo. That's tangible. Cringe-inducing dialogue in ROTJ, The PT, and the Disney movies. That's tangible.

Good God, I could spend all day and night here listing specific examples of stuff that's in Star Wars movies that should NOT be there.

The Wook

Last edited:

Wait, so you're saying Han shouldn't have shot first? (Be the only one to shoot)

Last edited:

Wait, so you're saying Han shouldn't have shot first? (Be the only one to shoot)

Good eye, glunark. I started the list by naming things that should've happened and then switched to naming things that should NOT have happened.

At any rate, I fixed it. (Of course, I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant. ;))

The Wook

I can't name established directors or writers, because I don't know their SWIQs. I'd have to spend time with them discussing all the Star Wars films to know what their SWIQs are first. But if they knew I was interviewing them for the job, they might just say whatever it is they think I want to hear. So, in an ideal world, I'd hire whoever possessed the highest SWIQ, and then I would co-write and co-direct and co-cast, et cetera et cetera, with me having final say on everything, just in case it turns out their SWIQs don't match mine, and left on their own, they'd put something in the Star Wars movie that does not belong there.

Well, you obviously liked the movie, and I hated it. So there's no point in debating it.

But SWIQ is about tangible things. I already gave the example of Han allowing Greedo to get off a shot. That's tangible. Leia snubbing Chewie in favor of comforting someone she's never met before in her life. That's tangible. Han surrendering his blaster and allowing himself to be roasted on a spit by a bunch of teddy bears. That's tangible. Casting an actor who's too skinny to play Darth Vader. That's tangible. Casting a 5' 7" actor to play Han Solo. That's tangible. Cringe-inducing dialogue in ROTJ, The PT, and the Disney movies. That's tangible.

Good God, I could spend all day and night here listing specific examples of stuff that's in Star Wars movies that should NOT be there.

The Wook

So in the end, by your logic, you only leave yourself two Star Wars movies to enjoy. That's a very narrow vision of what is and isn't "Star Wars" worthy.

I was wondering the same thing, but then realized that no one in there right mind would think that Han shouldn't have shot first.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back