Tomb raider dial puzzle

CJ2319

This is sort of a semi replica project. I bought a production made prototype of the prop, but it's blank.

20180501_200413.jpg

Step 1: Masking tape around the dials.

20180508_184901.jpg

Is it easy to dismantle? The gold gear looks like it can be take down and cast.

Obviously I'd be in if there's a run. ;)

Is it easy to dismantle? The gold gear looks like it can be take down and cast.

Obviously I'd be in if there's a run. ;)

The gold parts are actually 3d printed plastic painted gold. Real obvious up close. It would be great to have the original files to have it printed in higher resolution. I haven't tried dismantling it but I doubt it would be difficult. I don't really know how to make a run of this but if someone with the skill had an interest I would help out where I could. Not to ruin the magic but the functional part of this in the movie was cgi. All this does it allow you to rotate the dials and the gears.

Not sure how much value a prototype has. It is a good source for measurements and seeing how the actual prop worked.

I was watching the movie the other day and looking at the soldiers' shoulder lights because I got one, and you can see lots of spots in the movie where the light shines through the areas where the paint chipped off. You have to be looking for it, but it really makes it obvious it's a painted cast part. I never would have noticed except mine has a lot of spots and I thought they'd never use it in that condition, but they all had them.

Looks like the right way to go - keeping the original prototype intact. If you can, please share the details and dimensions.

David

Looks like the right way to go - keeping the original prototype intact. If you can, please share the details and dimensions.

David

Sure. When I have some time I'll put together some info. The guy that bought the actual prop refused to share pictures of it because he doesn't want anyone to make replicas and devalue his prop, so I say the more replicas the better.

I've been making a first-pass attempt at the symbols on the paper tapes attached to the four rings (from the auction pictures). These are quick sketches to try to get an idea of the whole decoration looks like.
symbols.jpg

Cheers,
David

I've been making a first-pass attempt at the symbols on the paper tapes attached to the four rings (from the auction pictures). These are quick sketches to try to get an idea of the whole decoration looks like.
View attachment 821963

Cheers,
David

Cool. I like that this is starting to feel like a collaborate effort. pinder91 says he wants to work on the gear modeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this might just make things easier! I didn't have much time (and this was before you sent me some clearer pics, CJ) but the guts have been started.
Capture.JPG

See if this works any better - but it's still fairly lo-res:

7.jpg21.jpg

Doesn't really help with the order, but it looks like the same calligraphy symbols.

I can take picture of that page when I have some time. There are a couple pages that looks like characters index in the journal.

Making an attempt to cross-reference the symbols on the discs with the page from the journal. Numbers are arbitrary. Disc 3 appears to be inverted relative to the others.

Pictogram translations journal page.jpgsymbols numbered.jpg

There are several runs of symbols on the disc matching adjoining symbols on the journal page.

David

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back