“Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi....” ANH Death Star Plans

The14thDr

Sr Member
We get a great look at the Death Star plans as they appear at the end of Rogue One, but I’m really interested in the prop that was seen (albeit very briefly) in A New Hope.

Obviously, the props are meant to be one and the same, but with 39 years separating the production of the two movies there are obviously some differences.
f4c4ea24b3e880454b0e13b05d90c112.jpg

This screencap is the only time we ever see the datacard prop in ANH, but it’s enough to make out the differences between this and the one used in Rogue One:
87d8c422cf044812e8b228f241689dda.jpg

For example, the gold part looks more hexagonal on the ANH version, and appears to go right to the edges of the card (which in turn seems thinner than the Rogue One prop.)

Anyway, that’s just me thinking aloud. ;) I’m looking forward to giving this prop a try (it should be a nice break from lightsabers and blasters!)

If you watch the footage of this ANH scene you'll see that the data disk is just a blank sheet of material and the apparent darker shape there is a shadow cast by R2.

Dan

Vader said that plans were transmissions that were beamed aboard by rebel spies? Even if you ignore Rogue One this seems like a continuity error.

If you watch the footage of this ANH scene you'll see that the data disk is just a blank sheet of material and the apparent darker shape there is a shadow cast by R2.

Dan
Wow, I never noticed that before - good eyes!

Vader said that plans were transmissions that were beamed aboard by rebel spies? Even if you ignore Rogue One this seems like a continuity error.
How so? The rebels broke into the facility on Scarif and beamed them aboard Raddus’ ship, the Profundity, before they were downloaded onto the data card and taken aboard the Tantive IV.

How so? The rebels broke into the facility on Scarif and beamed them aboard Raddus’ ship, the Profundity, before they were downloaded onto the data card and taken aboard the Tantive IV.

I'm no expert but I thought Vader says "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship (or perhaps "the ship", not sure) by rebels spies". Now I take that to mean the ship that he is currently standing in talking to Leia, the Tantive IV.

Agreed; I think in Rogue One they took creative liberty since you can't make out any detail on what it is Leia inserted into R2.

I'm no expert but I thought Vader says "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship (or perhaps "the ship", not sure) by rebels spies". Now I take that to mean the ship that he is currently standing in talking to Leia, the Tantive IV.

Even in ANH there are several formats the plans were in, such as the "several transmissions" Vader referenced, "stolen data tapes" mentioned in the meeting room, and the card Leia put in R2.

Even in ANH there are several formats the plans were in, such as the "several transmissions" Vader referenced, "stolen data tapes" mentioned in the meeting room, and the card Leia put in R2.
Not meaning to be overly pedantic, but with everything we saw in Rogue One, all of the above would be correct. The plans were stored on tapes in the Scarif facility, then transmitted up to the Rebels before being downloaded onto the datacard that Leia puts in R2.

Not meaning to be overly pedantic, but with everything we saw in Rogue One, all of the above would be correct. The plans were stored on tapes in the Scarif facility, then transmitted up to the Rebels before being downloaded onto the datacard that Leia puts in R2.

Totally agree... I like to think that was done on purpose in Rogue One but they probably just got lucky it all checked out. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back