1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Popping in real quick for an update. The material for the skin has been ordered and is coming from Illinois and should be here Friday. It's a 3mm thick sheet of Alumilite or Alumiclad or ACM Alupanel depending on who makes it. It's a composite sheet of polyethylene core with an outer layer of aluminum bonded to the core. If you've never seen or crafted with it before it's a love/hate relationship. It bends by hand but has enough structure to be more rigid than wood and less rigid than plain aluminum. It truly feels like aircraft fuselage and can be drilled and riveted. I've sourced a company in Birmingham AL to roll the 10 foot by 5 foot sheets on the long edge with a diameter very very close to the diameter of the cockpit. The whole skin will take 4 and a half sheets. We ordered it in white due to cost but they make it in about any imaginable color. We chose 10 foot long sheets because the entire length is 9foot 8inches which is just awesome luck. Typical British material sizes is 5 foot by 5 foot and after measuring the outer radius of the fuselage we realized two sheets takes each side up almost all the way. This is probably the same size material the real empire cockpit used due to British available stock and completely explains the gap that's covered up by greebly panels at the top of the cockpit outer skin. Or I'm imagining correlations and jumping to conclusions hahaha.

Here's a quick preview of what it will look like.

3a7588357cb4a9f43575a5423ede75b6.jpg

Here's a few close ups of the material.

f9113742ae37c20ddf285125933bf04d.jpg

d871e85686509ee7e4e92e5364a56d26.jpg

- Daniel Valdez - Full Scale Falcon Team

Awesome progress! That last shot of the corridor is the bee's knees!

Could it be possible that a fully skinned, fully windowed and Volvo paneled cockpit might be a reality by the end of the year? Dare to dream.

Looking all very good Sofa, but for that hose on the side...didn't talk to me at all. Maybe getting 2 hoses going inside the innards of the tunnel (like the other pipes already in place)?
Just my 2 cents...I'm sure you'll come up with something for sure.

Hey J,

Thanks much! Yeah... the hose on the side didn't do it for me either. Especially the way it connected up top. Maybe some loose wires or a braided hose? I like the idea of going into the actual panel. :)

I'll figure something out

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yess!!! I love the droid sockets you've built!! the layers the designs... oh i just need a pic with an R2 unit plugged in...LOL

Pinstripping is soooo exciting!!

Good thing that you've discovered and fixed the Volvo panels.. now you could go and to those windows again.

I saw this today on FB

OOooooh can't Wait for the next update!!!:DView attachment 762949

Hey D,

Thanks! I spent hours trying to get those droid sockets just right. I hope the actual build goes faster than the design work AND it actually works when all together. ;)

Pin striping is a sign that things are nearing completion! That's a good thing! And the Volvo panels finally being where they need to be is another major step forward. I'm really looking forward to getting the canopy started and ultimately dressed with all her greeblies and hoses.

Great pic of Rey against the TFA cockpit! Love it!

- - - Updated - - -

Popping in real quick for an update. The material for the skin has been ordered and is coming from Illinois and should be here Friday. It's a 3mm thick sheet of Alumilite or Alumiclad or ACM Alupanel depending on who makes it. It's a composite sheet of polyethylene core with an outer layer of aluminum bonded to the core. If you've never seen or crafted with it before it's a love/hate relationship. It bends by hand but has enough structure to be more rigid than wood and less rigid than plain aluminum. It truly feels like aircraft fuselage and can be drilled and riveted. I've sourced a company in Birmingham AL to roll the 10 foot by 5 foot sheets on the long edge with a diameter very very close to the diameter of the cockpit. The whole skin will take 4 and a half sheets. We ordered it in white due to cost but they make it in about any imaginable color. We chose 10 foot long sheets because the entire length is 9foot 8inches which is just awesome luck. Typical British material sizes is 5 foot by 5 foot and after measuring the outer radius of the fuselage we realized two sheets takes each side up almost all the way. This is probably the same size material the real empire cockpit used due to British available stock and completely explains the gap that's covered up by greebly panels at the top of the cockpit outer skin. Or I'm imagining correlations and jumping to conclusions hahaha.

Here's a quick preview of what it will look like.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/3a7588357cb4a9f43575a5423ede75b6.jpg

Here's a few close ups of the material.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/f9113742ae37c20ddf285125933bf04d.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171002/d871e85686509ee7e4e92e5364a56d26.jpg

- Daniel Valdez - Full Scale Falcon Team

This is going to be so much fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome progress! That last shot of the corridor is the bee's knees!

Could it be possible that a fully skinned, fully windowed and Volvo paneled cockpit might be a reality by the end of the year? Dare to dream.

Thanks, K! When the interior skin (any skin) was finally added it changes the entire look of the actual build!

Do I dare dream to have her completed by years end? That's the hope. It may not be 100% but I'm DEF shooting for a 90% solution! Fingers Crossed!

Not found of the pipe connects but I think the idea works? Yes? No?
I think the idea works, but the "outlet" of the bottom part looks really big to immediately step down to a tube of that diameter.

Did some design work on the new monitor panel
Aha! Now we know the Aurebesh on your computer is the culprit - every letter is backwards.

Not sure if I addressed this question... The lower panel sticks out far enough from the curve of the corridor wall that any Astromech "should" be able to roll up and extend the "arm" enough to make a connection with the socket. Unfortunately, I don't know the correct height of the panel.
Well, evidently I can't get a link to work, but the "CPU arm" is officially known as a "Scomp link." Based on the blueprints on the R2 Builders Club and making a few assumptions about where the Scomp Link pivots (it varies depending on an Astromech's position and which movie you're referencing, it seems), the center of the socket is between 24 and 29 inches above the floor. If you know someone with an R2 unit that has an animated Scomp link, I'd ask them where they put the pivot point. :)

Last edited:
I think the idea works, but the "outlet" of the bottom part looks really big to immediately step down to a tube of that diameter.

Aha! Now we know the Aurebesh on your computer is the culprit - every letter is backwards.

Well, evidently I can't get a link to work, but the "CPU arm" is officially known as a "Scomp link." Based on the blueprints on the R2 Builders Club and making a few assumptions about where the Scomp Link pivots (it varies depending on an Astromech's position and which movie you're referencing, it seems), the center of the socket is between 24 and 29 inches above the floor. If you know someone with an R2 unit that has an animated Scomp link, I'd ask them where they put the pivot point. :)

Hey BBD,

Agreed! I have to find a pipe or wire "reducer" that will help transition the pipe or wire from greeblie to greeblie. Slapping a tube in place and calling it done doesn't always work. ;)

I found out that if you type in lower case the Aurebesh font is backwards. Which is kinda odd because I typed the original in Arial using all caps before changing the font. Maybe the font is messed up?

If the sockets are between 24-29" then I'm good to go... I think. And if not, I can always change out the greeblie for something else like maybe... the compressor? ;)

Wife: Man these guys are nuts!
Me to myself: Note: Hide Death Star two plans, and rent storage unit...

Seriously, this is the most impressive undertaking of all time for me. I'm more an empire fan myself, but c'mon... It's the FALCON! Very interested to follow this build. Hats off to everyone who has had a hand in this so far. Very nice work folks. I'm 6 hours out in Louisiana and would LOVE to come see this thing in person!

Here's a thought, since the bottom console side greeblie and its fitting is so much larger than the upper, why not take two wire looms (or hoses) from the bottom greeblie and run one to the upper and the other into the ring? It'll give some credence to the mismatched fitting sizes plus its another "Falcon Quick Fix", running loose wires or hose into the ring.

What are your plans for the top section of the console? I seem to remember there being what amounted to an A/C register there. Would be a good place to put a couple fans to blow into the corridor space for a bit of cooling.

Wife: Man these guys are nuts!
Me to myself: Note: Hide Death Star two plans, and rent storage unit...

Seriously, this is the most impressive undertaking of all time for me. I'm more an empire fan myself, but c'mon... It's the FALCON! Very interested to follow this build. Hats off to everyone who has had a hand in this so far. Very nice work folks. I'm 6 hours out in Louisiana and would LOVE to come see this thing in person!

Hi ST,

Thank you so much! It has been both an adventure and pure frustration all at the same! I can't agree with you more - kudos to all that have been and continue to be involved with the project!

If you're interested in popping over send me a PM and we'll go from there! Be warned... we'll probably put you to work! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. This is looking awesome.

Hi C,

Thanks so much! The next few weeks are going to be awesome!

Here's a thought, since the bottom console side greeblie and its fitting is so much larger than the upper, why not take two wire looms (or hoses) from the bottom greeblie and run one to the upper and the other into the ring? It'll give some credence to the mismatched fitting sizes plus its another "Falcon Quick Fix", running loose wires or hose into the ring.

What are your plans for the top section of the console? I seem to remember there being what amounted to an A/C register there. Would be a good place to put a couple fans to blow into the corridor space for a bit of cooling.

Hi K,

That was my original idea - having a hose or collection of wires wrapping around to the corridor ring. I still might do that. I just have to find that perfect combo of hose vs wire vs how they all connect with one another.

The top of the console is going through some serious designing right now. I can't put my finger on what I like best. I have 2 or 3 working ideas that I'm fiddling with. I'll post some images tonight of these ideas against the actual panel and see what looks best.

I have a LONG 6 day weekend ahead of me! Let's hope for some serious forward progress and... The Return of the Laser Cutter! ;)

Hi Gang,

Here are some of the concept designs I've been working on for the upper part of the new corridor maintenance panel.

Design 1
Maint%20Panel%2001_zpsu7ovjwvq.jpg

Design 2
Maint%20Panel%2002_zpszmu7zpvv.jpg

Design 3
Maint%20Panel%2003_zpservp9ogn.jpg

Design 4
Maint%20Panel%2004_zpsofvh2dko.jpg

Here are all the panels up close and without any perspective. The large white rectangle greeblie with the red LED circles is a ice cube tray! :)
Maint%20Panel%20Fronts_zpsjnwqges4.jpg

I'm very partial to Design 4 because of its simplicity. What do you all think?

OK.. time to go work on some more corridor panels!

EDIT: One more if I dont add the Droid Socket(s). Not that I dont want to make them but I'm actually leaning more toward the simplicity and not adding the sockets.
Maint%20Panel%2005_zpsqjloj8kd.jpg

AND... This is what I've designed the panel look like when all is said and done... I hope!
Maint%20Panel%2006_zps9checccf.jpg

Last edited:
I really like desing n.2 . 1 &4 the texture of the vent is too strong to have already a lot of vent horizontal lines on the wall besides. and adding lights wil help balanced the quantity of lights in the level underneath... Maybe keep one droid socket?

Definitely #4. The simplicity is quite a contrast to everything surrounding it.

Keep the droid socket. You just gotta have one!

You know, in those test shots the upper side greeblie is missing. I kinda like it better with just the lower. They always seem mismatched, at least in trying to tie them together.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back