****Recaster alert****

Pardon me...but what am I missing here?

I am aware of the recasting policy being part of the RPFs CoC, I am aware of pretty much all RPF prop-related activities being kind of a grey area, I have followed the discussions for at least a decade, I know about -many of- the legal aspects of copyrights within the different countries...

I just find it amusing to see people whining about recasting, when they are obviously violating current license agreements under the -so far VERY forgiving eyes- of ANOVOS (or even eFX).
So please explain, why this is putting me on a high horse?! :wacko

Wonder when Anovos goes after RS Prop Masters, Bookface, Gino (LOL), CFO, and any other unlicensed fan made prop.

Likely never, as that'll kill the Star Wars cosplay and collectors market. That'd be absolutely stoopid to shoot their market and themselves in the foot.

Now if they go after someone who recast their products?!?....Go get 'em.

Wonder when Anovos goes after RS Prop Masters, Bookface, Gino (LOL), CFO, and any other unlicensed fan made prop.

Likely never, as that'll kill the Star Wars cosplay and collectors market. That'd be absolutely stoopid to shoot their market and themselves in the foot.

Now if they go after someone who recast their products?!?....Go get 'em.

Agreed.

But they can´t go after RS, bookface (or any other UK based vendor), since the OT stuff is considered "industrial design" in the UK, where time for it being considered LFL/ Disney owned interlectual property is only 30 years >>> expired ;)

I know I am probably stepping on some toes here and that my opinion is in conflict esp. with many of the cosplayers/ collectors. But again...I find it just bold to do big runs of TFA armor, while ANOVOS & Co. is watching. I wouldn´t have the guts to do so :lol

You are bang on the money. If you make something and share it, you risk it being recast. You can't really stop it, but that's not really the point of posts like this (leaving aside the is it/isn't it debate also going on right now). If you find out you've been recast, all you can do is let people know, and leave it up to them as to whether they want to buy from someone who has stolen your work. If you regularly make it known that you are willing to buy from recasters, you aren't going to last much longer in this community than the recasters themselves.

Also add in the fact no one involved in this actually has the rights or IP to make these things and do so because Lucasfilm is lenient on fans. If you work your ass off, and somebody profits off your work, that most definitely sucks, and they suck for doing it.

But if you chose to re-create something you don't have the rights too it's hard to cry foul. Two bootlegs don't make a right.

Agreed.

But they can´t go after RS, bookface (or any other UK based vendor), since the OT stuff is considered "industrial design" in the UK, where time for it being considered LFL/ Disney owned interlectual property is only 30 years >>> expired ;)

I know I am probably stepping on some toes here and that my opinion is in conflict esp. with many of the cosplayers/ collectors. But again...I find it just bold to do big runs of TFA armor, while ANOVOS & Co. is watching. I wouldn´t have the guts to do so :lol

If it's recast TFA armor from Anovos, that is bold. If they offer something unique, hyper accurate, then meh.

What I find weird is, you have two licensed companies offer the same product (Kylo Ren helmets). If I was Anovos, I'd be rather pissed - even if the Prop Shop's is grossly over priced.

It'll be fun seeing which company gets the approval to produce which products from the new movies - especially the new Darth Vader and Stormtrooper helmets from Rogue One. ...will it be Anovos? Prop Shop? or EFX? ...or all three?

Funny thing is ..... the accused person ( i hesitate to call someone recaster without definite proof) shows much more professional equipment and molds (more and much smaller holes to create the details), so i would atm. have much more confidence in his product, if it would be my money that was used to buy a armor set and wanting a "assumed" quality product (just from the pics, havn´t seen any of them in real).

I own TK's kit... and can vouch that it is a top notch product. :thumbsup

Also, it isn't stolen work..... so there you go.

Gentlemen...

ALL of the guys currently doing RUNS of any TFA armor/ helmets under the eyes of ANOVOS (RPF member Dr Maul) are taking a bold step and risking an injunction suit! Thank Dr Maul for being so relaxed about this. He´s loosing a LOT of $$$.
If I would be official licensee and member of the RPF, I´d be up your a** within a second...just saying. :facepalm

Back on topic...TC9948, I see no evidence at all of your work being recast.
So show us anything, that can proove otherwise or openly apologise and move on.

I'm with Markus on this.

In addition, threatening someone of notifying Disney is pretty lame imho since you're actually ripping off Disney yourself .:facepalm

Being pissed about having been recast is one thing, I understand that, but going to Disney about it... come on... seriously.

To me, there's a very big difference between recasting someone else's fan-sculpted work, and the fact that the fan-sculpted work is based off of original pieces that are copyrighted, licensed, etc. Most of this forum is centered around various fan-made representations of props, almost all of which come from copyrighted/licensed properties.

I do understand that people have differing opinions, however. They're welcome to them.

To me, there's a very big difference between recasting someone else's fan-sculpted work, and the fact that the fan-sculpted work is based off of original pieces that are copyrighted, licensed, etc. Most of this forum is centered around various fan-made representations of props, almost all of which come from copyrighted/licensed properties.

I do understand that people have differing opinions, however. They're welcome to them.

Are we really questioning our very identity here? When LFL (Disney) wanted to go back to their roots for VII who did they come to?.. Us...
No, they don't swerve, market-wise for us, but if they want to see what the top of the food chain is dong they visit.

They won't shoot themselves in the head over us... they haven't gotten this far being that stupid...

Not sure if you're asking me that question, but reading over what I wrote I think I wasn't very clear as to where my opinion lies. What I meant to convey was that in my view, copying someone else's hand-made work is wrong, regardless of what that hand-made work may be based upon. The other point was that this entire forum is pretty much devoted to replicating things that by the letter of the law may be protected, copyrighted, whatever. To me they're just two different degrees of "problematic." One bothers me, the other much less so.

If Anovos or EFX would have something for sale...but nobody knows if and when they have the stuff in stock.
It would be a very sad World without the fanmade stuff in my eyes.Look at the Anovos ESB Vaderhelmet...is this the quality you want in the future because the big companys sue everyone who sells his fanmade stuff?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back