Death Star II Scratchbuild

Scratchy

Sr Member
Just finished the dish, I took the photo before the final sanding. I had this world globe for a couple years with the intention of doing this project, finally got around to doing something with it between time on the Star Destroyer.

DSII04_zps695fc394.jpg

I wonder why they made the trench so large on the 2nd one, with the first you could barely get a starfigher down there, with this one you could fly a star destroyer with room to spare!

Great work so far.

I wonder why they made the trench so large on the 2nd one, with the first you could barely get a starfigher down there, with this one you could fly a star destroyer with room to spare!

Great work so far.

Well, the trench run at the end of ANH was not the equatorial trench, but actually a much smaller polar trench. It's seen on R2-D2's battlestation plans during the mission briefing, but it's easy to miss. The equatorial trench was seen when the Falcon was being drawn into the hangar by tractor beam. Much bigger trench.

--Alex

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys, if you want to see images leading up to the posted image, then you can view them on my Scratchy Facebook page (link to the left).

Last edited:
Here's another pic. I'm in the process of building "Construction Components" for the sections of the Death Star that will be cut out.

DSII05_zpsfcf92495.jpg

I have a request, does anyone have any reference images of the studio model, I'm looking for the left, right and back sides. I have the images from the Blu-ray and a number of images of the front.

Many thanks,

scratchy

Totally cool idea for a project! Love it!
Thanks Lukafilm.
Scratchy great job loving it so far!!!:thumbsup
Thank you 3D Builder
Oh yes! I'm very excited to see this!
What are your plans for creating the detailed construction sections?
I don't have any plans, just working straight from whatever reference that I have available. I stayed as true to the details of the laser dish, and I'll keep as close to the front. I'll utilize all the reference and I'll use the cross-section illustrations.

If anyone has some reference that they're willing to share, I would certainly appreciate it.

Sorry, I didn't know that. Seems obvious when you see the real thing.

I hang my head in shame.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back