CoD WaW: Wunderwaffe

joker1231

Hey guys, I'm new to the site, just joined a couple minutes ago. I'm an Industrial Design Student at The College for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI. I used to make models all the time before college! With my school's rigorous curriculum...I haven't worked on any personal projects like I used to. but I'm SICK of it...so I'm starting one.

The Wunderwaffe is a pretty interesting and unique looking gun. To my knowledge, there isn't so much as a CAD model replica of it out there! Google images results turn out a couple screenies and low res side views of it. So, I'm going to do it. I'm working on the CAD model right now, so I can get a full scale ortho of all the parts.

P.S. This is my first ever forum post..anywhere. so...bare with me!

Attachments

• wunderwaffe_dg2.jpg
    wunderwaffe_dg2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,134
  • 400px-Wunderwaffe_DG-2.jpg
    400px-Wunderwaffe_DG-2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,629
Here is the progress so far on my Alias model. The gun stock took me a while (i haven't CAD'd in a long time)
The stock is done and it is going to be milled out of walnut later this week. Any imperfections in the CAD can be sanded by hand later.

Update: I just got my Ux base, globe tubes off ebay for the "ammo"...a key part for my model. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for materials and or objects I can use; as well as any inconsistencies you see from the original to my CAD.

Getting so close with the CAD. Can't wait to start the physical model! I'm struggling to find the appropriate scale...which is a problem...

Model is done. Printed a sideview ortho full size...and I'm scared.

The gun in 58" from tip to tail...seems a bit large. I'm sitting here looking at it on the wall and in the words of Gob, "I've made a huge mistake". I'm using the scale of the tubes I have in comparison to those in the side view I've been referencing. The most I can see scaling it down gives me a 52" length. HELP! does that seem uncomfortably large to anyone else? or am I just wigging out???

Model is done. Printed a sideview ortho full size...and I'm scared.

The gun in 58" from tip to tail...seems a bit large. I'm sitting here looking at it on the wall and in the words of Gob, "I've made a huge mistake". I'm using the scale of the tubes I have in comparison to those in the side view I've been referencing. The most I can see scaling it down gives me a 52" length. HELP! does that seem uncomfortably large to anyone else? or am I just wigging out???

Looks good, and if you take the shoulder stock for reference of scale, I think you are okay with the overall length. It does look longer than your average rifle.

With my senior studio influencing my schedule, this project is going waaaay slower than had expected. Don't no when I'm going to dive into the physical model, but here is the completed (nearly) CAD. Let me know what you think! I understand that the texturing and materials are way off. but I just whipped this up before going to bed.

Input PLease!

Welcome to the forum fellow CCS Alumni! (would of graduated 94 - but transfered to Auburn) Looking good! Keep going!

Back on the project. School has kept me pretty occupied but I work on the gun when I can. Exciting day today. Got the stock from the mill and it looks really nice! I had this stock milled from a piece of 2x6x26" walnut. The grain is amazing in person! I'm reluctant to weather it!!! ...and on that note...I need tips on weathering stuff.

Back on the project. School has kept me pretty occupied but I work on the gun when I can. Exciting day today. Got the stock from the mill and it looks really nice! I had this stock milled from a piece of 2x6x26" walnut. The grain is amazing in person! I'm reluctant to weather it!!! ...and on that note...I need tips on weathering stuff.

My suggestion would be to treat/coat the wood with either a varnish or an oil like boiled linseed oil, this will help protect the wood and give it a nice finish on top of it. I recommend using an oil since it won't give too much gloss to the finish and make it look more military in appearance; I'd also do some research to find out what was used on real battle rifles for a more authentic look. Once the finish is dry I'd probably dull it down even with a light buffing with either a fine grade sand paper, 0000 steel wool or both. In addition to that, if you want to go for the real used look then toss it into the nearest pile of dirt to dirty the finish up and to ding it up some I'd toss it on the ground, preferably where there's some gravel. You could also go with the spray paint/air brush route but unless done right it tends to look too artificial and like you hit it with a light dusting of paint.

One other recommendation, I don't know if the model in the game has this or not but I'd attach a metal butt plate to the end of the stock. This not only protects the end of the stock it will also give the prop a more authentic looks since all military rifles of the period had metal butt plates at the end of their stocks. You don't need to do anything fancy with it since, IIRC, they were mostly just smooth metal & typically held in place by two largish screws.

Good suggestion about the butt plate. As I recall, it was the stock from the M1 Garand model that was chopped down and used for the Wunderwaffe model, so the Garand butt plate would be a nice detail that helps to tie the piece to the setting.

Joker,

I am currently enrolled in a Maya class and would love to have the side, top, back, and front of the wunderwaffe you created. I need the practice, and would like the reference images (as well as your finished piece) as .jpeg. 0,0,0 axis side, top, back, and front so that I can recreate in Maya.

Cheers!

Remember when I started this…in 2011? It's time I start making time to finish this sweet gun! Hopefully I'll be posting new updates to this soon, my apologies for not following through. I want to see this gun done as much as you guys hopefully do!

Remember when I started this…in 2011? It's time I start making time to finish this sweet gun! Hopefully I'll be posting new updates to this soon, my apologies for not following through. I want to see this gun done as much as you guys hopefully do!

Don't give up on this, Joker!! Been waiting to see the finished gun. One of the coolest weapons ever. Please, please give us updates!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back