Disasterous Conventions and Great conventions.

First convention was Galacticon III in Houston a few years back...had a blast except for the humidity.

Was planning on attending Galacticon IV in Seattle last year...heard it was a COMPLETE disaster.
Glad I didn't go.

1. The con had sold vacation packages that included tickets and hotel rooms, but somehow the hotel wasn't paid (or the hotel thought they weren't due to poor bookkeeping), so guests arrived to the hotel to find they had no reservations and no tickets....and the hotel was full. Some guests who did manage to check in under their expected reservations had notes slipped under their doors asking them to vacate.
2. the hotel was pocketing all of the onsite ticket sales due to this perceived non-payment, and was about to shut the entire con down when the organizers appeased them by passing the hat among dealers and guests alike--- they handed over a big garbage bag full of cash.
3. as part of the con, but at a different venue, was an elaborate stage show with the entire cast...that no one went to. Partly because the convention was not using the local unioned event planning company (which had an almost "protection racket" sense of entitlement for a piece of every event in town) for anything but ticket sales for the show, so they did underhanded things to thwart attendance, like telling people who called to buy tickets that it was sold out (when thousands of seats were available).
4. there was also no one actually running that show, so Walter Koenig took the lead and made it as good as it was. There were also audio problems and a firework or something went off in the audience.
5. and THAT show was almost shut down, too, the venue saying THEY hadn't been paid, either.

it just goes on and on....

sounds like the first of many modern cons. only modern cons go on and are just so over crowded that you can't get in anywhere to actually enjoy the thing ;o).

Wow. I'm surprised the cast was in good enough spirits that they stuck it out and stayed to try and help the people who actually got in.

I think my best convention still is AnimeCon in the Netherlands. It's become an omnicon by now, but it's the biggest con we have and it's great. However it's relatively small by other convention standards, with maybe 5000 visitors?

The worst experiences for me were:
MCM London May 2016: Too crowded, little of interest, though Verka Serduchka was a great hit.
Dutch Comic Con 2015: Too dark, badly organised, little to do. They improved apparently, but I no longer live in NL so I don't go over for a single con, except AnimeCon.
Sherlocked 2015: Showmasters. Nuff said. If you're not for autographs or pictures with the cast & crew, then there's very little to do. Cosplay is a bit of an afterthought as well but they may have improved on that as well. Also ridiculously expensive for a convention. Price increase for a weekend ticket went from £44 to £60 in a year. So...yeah.

Worst:
-SDCC 2012 my last.
-PhoenixCC2017. Stupid people intruding on the con to force some agenda weapons ban nonsense.
-Worldcon2017 Disastrously small in vision and in size.

Great Cons:
-Breakaway Con - Sept 1999-the actual date of the Show! Great guests.

-1990's SDCCs
-Mad Model/Monster Party LA,Pasadena
-Imaginenation Expo 1,2,3 Las Vegas
-Wonderfest Louisville (pick your favorite year)
-Phoenix Comic Con 2010
-Glamourcon 1-4 Burbank, L.A.

Not so great officially, but great guests:
-Phil&Ed's Excellent Convention 1 Burbank
-Phringecon (3?) Phoenix

Last edited:
I used to go to the Philly comic con every year starting around 2009 but I haven't gone since 2014 because it's just become way too crowded. I remember the first time I went there Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flannery were signing together and you could just walk up to their table and chat. Now I'm not sure Flannery even comes because Norman has absolutely massive lines.

I used to go to the Philly comic con every year starting around 2009 but I haven't gone since 2014 because it's just become way too crowded. I remember the first time I went there Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flannery were signing together and you could just walk up to their table and chat. Now I'm not sure Flannery even comes because Norman has absolutely massive lines.

That's what I feel about San Diego Comicon. I started going in 1974, I went for more than 30 years straight, but today, I refuse. And I get to go for free! Too many people, too small a venue, and a focus that I can't stand. Pass.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back