Rogue One - Jyn Erso BlasTech A180 Blaster Pistol

Re: Rogue One Felicity Jones gun - ideas

Here's my model printed. Painting only partially complete. Barrel is askew so I need to print another -_-

IMG_20170104_193122.jpg

\
Nice print!

Some constructive crticism; the "blade" underneath the barrel is very undersized on your print, suggest you compare to some of the ref pics posted here and resize.

Indeed it is. This was a print of the first revision to determine if there were any major flaws, so the content on Thingiverse differs significantly to this print. If you take a look at the complete gun in 3D "Thingiview" you should be able to see the rail has been enlarged. This is also why I want to print another.

What size rivets do you think are used to attach the bracket to the sides?

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 6.03.19 PM.png
The flange looks about 6mm here compared to the height of the bracket and Jyn's fingers, but I can't get a decent shot of the other side.

vKxkeWC.png
The Battlefront pictures look like they're 4mm on both sides,since four 6mm would look too crowded on that side. I've got 6mm and 4mm on hand, the difference is surprisingly noticeable. I'll probably use both 6mm for one side and 4mm for the other.

Also got some 1.6mm grub screws. These things are tiny but look to be the right size for the four top bolts on the bracket.

I think it's pretty much been settled that those are not rivets, but hex button head screws.

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed it is...This is also why I want to print another.

Looking forward to seeing that! Also, what finish did you use on the barrel if you don't mind me asking? Looks very nice.

I think it's pretty much been settled that those are not rivets, but hex button head screws.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to seeing that! Also, what finish did you use on the barrel if you don't mind me asking? Looks very nice.

In this case it was Dulux Bright Finish Silver:

http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-exterior-products/spray-paint/product-detail?product=13669

They have a good finish but are a pain to use - curing time is about a week from my experience! Best results obtained by warming up the can and spraying really light coats.

View attachment 695880
The flange looks about 6mm here compared to the height of the bracket and Jyn's fingers, but I can't get a decent shot of the other side.

View attachment 695884
The Battlefront pictures look like they're 4mm on both sides,since four 6mm would look too crowded on that side. I've got 6mm and 4mm on hand, the difference is surprisingly noticeable. I'll probably use both 6mm for one side and 4mm for the other.

Also got some 1.6mm grub screws. These things are tiny but look to be the right size for the four top bolts on the bracket.

Are there photos like the one above of the Battlefront render's right side? Whatever that detail is on the right side opposite the takedown lever, it looks raised a bit, and not quite like a sling mount. It has more of a finish washer shape and is raised in that small turnaround gif:

Erso_Gun.gif

I've also added grub screws (6-32) and another little fella opposite the takedown lever.
bdc69fe542e2dc6ae9aa8c14f581e4eb.jpg

8e9407e1e2fafb2be57607544f7e61a1.jpg

Yeah there is definitely something opposite the takedown lever, that looks like a fair approximation.

- - - Updated - - -

In this case it was Dulux Bright Finish Silver:

http://www.dulux.com.au/products/dulux-exterior-products/spray-paint/product-detail?product=13669

They have a good finish but are a pain to use - curing time is about a week from my experience! Best results obtained by warming up the can and spraying really light coats.

Thank you good sir *tips hat*

Started my own thread Jyn Erso A180 blaster 3D Model, but here's a 3D model I did with the amazing assistance of @Thain's blueprints. This is based on the original model of the Luger by Daniel Lillygreen which was then modified by Greaser57. I did the shroud, barrel, underbarrel rail, screws, bolts (everything but the original model). I need to do the rear sights, and the greeble opposite the takedown lever.
A-180 Right [1280x720].jpg
A-180 Left [1280x720].jpg

Currently untextured (maybe later), done in Cinema 4D. Head over to my thread for higher resolution photos and let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Started my own thread Jyn Erso A180 blaster 3D Model, but here's a 3D model I did with the amazing assistance of @Thain's blueprints. This is based on the original model of the Luger by Daniel Lillygreen which was then modified by Greaser57. I did the shroud, barrel, underbarrel rail, screws, bolts (everything but the original model). I need to do the rear sights, and the greeble opposite the takedown lever.
View attachment 696030
View attachment 696032

Currently untextured (maybe later), done in Cinema 4D. Head over to my thread for higher resolution photos and let me know what you think!

Looks awesome! Two major things missing are the flange-y thing mid way along the barrel and the cutouts on the receiver shoulder for attachment of a 'buttstock' per SWBF the game - they yet to come?

Can't wait until an all metal kit run gets made for this...........If I had a lathe and mill this would be on the top of my list.

Looks awesome! Two major things missing are the flange-y thing mid way along the barrel and the cutouts on the receiver shoulder for attachment of a 'buttstock' per SWBF the game - they yet to come?

Good catch on the receiver shoulder, I missed that! I just forgot to display the flange. I've updated the model, haven't completely finished the one side of the receiver shoulder.
A-180 Right v2 [1280x720].jpg
A-180 Left v2 [1280x720].jpg

For more details and higher resolution photos, please have a look at my thread.

Observation: I've noticed that this panel is flat rather than having a rectangular "flare" on the original gun (maybe this is useful for identification of the original used prop?).
Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.18.34 AM.png
According to the model that I'm using, this piece appears to have a surface behind it that flares out close to the front. I'm hesitant to remove this panel (it would probably take forever to make it flat). Has anyone filed this part off of an actual physical version of their gun?

Last edited:

The model is looking great, but it seems to me that your holes along the barrel shroud are just a smidge too large.

Thanks @Dann! I've made the vent holes on the barrel a tad bit smaller. I've also retained the bevels of the receiver shoulder on both sides.
A-180 Right v3 [1280x720].jpg
A-180 Left v3 [1280x720].jpg

Things I need to do still do:
1. Greeble opposite the takedown lever
2. Adjust the small hole in the underbarrel rail to just an indentation and not a hole
3. Figure out how to connect the underbarrel rail to the gun (currently considering connecting it to the flange on the barrel).
4. Consider flattening the "flare" I've referenced before
5. Need to do testing on how specifically the barrel, shroud, and everything will connect. (This is probably where the 3D print guys will come in handy!)
-I've designed based on ideas presented in this thread, but I need to trial and error some of it. I originally planned to make pieces for a working airsoft gun, but it should work either way
6. Rear sights. I probably need to redo the rear sights for accuracy, as the model I'm working on is different than the one's like these:
Here's a stock (heh) WE Luger for comparison (source):
View attachment 689384

I greatly appreciate if anyone could post photos of the rear sight piece, especially if it is of just the rear sight piece disassembled by itself!

For those who are familiar with 3D printing, how clean does the model need to be? Like what if there are tiny (I mean like imperceptible) gaps between polygons. I'm just wondering whether or not I'm going to have to go over the model with a fine tooth comb...fingers crossed that I can avoid this.

As always, head over to my thread for higher resolution photos and more details.

A-180 Right v3 [1280x720].jpg

A-180 Left v3 [1280x720].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks @Dann! I've made the vent holes on the barrel a tad bit smaller. I've also retained the bevels of the receiver shoulder on both sides.

Things I need to do still do:
1. Greeble opposite the takedown lever
2. Adjust the small hole in the underbarrel rail to just an indentation and not a hole
3. Figure out how to connect the underbarrel rail to the gun (currently considering connecting it to the flange on the barrel).
4. Consider flattening the "flare" I've referenced before
5. Need to do testing on how specifically the barrel, shroud, and everything will connect. (This is probably where the 3D print guys will come in handy!)
-I've designed based on ideas presented in this thread, but I need to trial and error some of it. I originally planned to make pieces for a working airsoft gun, but it should work either way
6. Rear sights. I probably need to redo the rear sights for accuracy, as the model I'm working on is different than the one's like these:

I greatly appreciate if anyone could post photos of the rear sight piece, especially if it is of just the rear sight piece disassembled by itself!

For those who are familiar with 3D printing, how clean does the model need to be? Like what if there are tiny (I mean like imperceptible) gaps between polygons. I'm just wondering whether or not I'm going to have to go over the model with a fine tooth comb...fingers crossed that I can avoid this.

As always, head over to my thread for higher resolution photos and more details.

Yes #6 was another I only just realised. You will probably have to just try to interpret the shape from pictures such as http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/23569/21581944_3.jpg?v=8D2143BB884D400 & the one you linked.

In regards to #3, to ensure a strong connection between parts, insetting the part inside the receiver would be best.

As for #4, 3D printing, the main thing to keep in mind when constructing parts is overhang. Ideally you want each individual piece to require little to no support material. This is why I split my barrel and receiver in two as I did and kept the rail separate. If you want to design the parts to fit an airsoft gun it may be more difficult in terms of obtaining a good fit and finish and the receiver addon pieces may become quite thin, leading to manufacturing and structural issues. Regarding cleanliness, any holes will stuff up slicing software to varying degrees, however netfabb (get the old version not the Autodesk one) can patch holes easily and automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back