Screen Correct Hoverboard Project

Using the image you provided I still got 4.75. How did you get 5.25?

- - - Updated - - -

Also... using your photo (and doubling the image to make a perfect circle) it's a lot closer to 4.75. Not sure how you got 5.25?

Attachments

• OdupoFz.png
    OdupoFz.png
    554.5 KB · Views: 130
In PHOTOSHOP you can copy and PASTE a portion of the tape and ROTATE IT!!! SERIOUSLY??? Are you GRAPHIC DEFICIENT?? It is VERY simple to ascertain, and measure with the raw tools in the photo as IS and arrive at a very usable product! WTF?? Do you THINK I am NEW at this??? I have been in graphics for over 20 years!!! I am a certified ENGINEER and have a Masters degree! A lot of you tend to OVERTHINK the process! It is simply NOT that complex. MOST people who want to own a hoverboard are really NOT that anal retentive! WITH THAT SAID please lighten up clock 88! I have one statement to make that sums it ALL up ' EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE".

The distortion (parallax?) of the image where the magnets are and the fact that the image is cropped and not showing the entire magnet makes this a guessing game. Going by said distortions and using the tape measure (not rotated or moved in any way), I get 5". That does not mean that the magnet in 5" in diameter only that this is what it appears to be to me, using what there is available in the original, unaltered pic. Coolpropdude, if this were a scanned or computer created 2D image with no forced distortion based on the viewer's (or camera's) distance from the object, your rotation and repositioning of the tape measure would indeed have been the solution to acquire the proper diameter of the magnet. However it does not work with this pic due to the camera parallax. If the center of the camera was instead focused directly over the center of the magnet but at least showed half of it, then what you did would most likely have worked fine. A slightly more accurate way to do what you did (but still not accurate) would have been to use the part of the tape measure, closest to the left side of the image as it is not the same size as what's on the right side of the image, due to camera distortion.

Last edited:
In PHOTOSHOP you can copy and PASTE a portion of the tape and ROTATE IT!!! SERIOUSLY??? Are you GRAPHIC DEFICIENT?? It is VERY simple to ascertain, and measure with the raw tools in the photo as IS and arrive at a very usable product! WTF?? Do you THINK I am NEW at this??? I have been in graphics for over 20 years!!! I am a certified ENGINEER and have a Masters degree! A lot of you tend to OVERTHINK the process! It is simply NOT that complex. MOST people who want to own a hoverboard are really NOT that anal retentive! WITH THAT SAID please lighten up clock 88! I have one statement to make that sums it ALL up ' EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE".

Please STOP SCREAMING!!!... You are going to alienate a lot of people here (or have already). You do a great work on your hoverboard and you might be a certified engineer with a Masters degree but your people skills are really lacking.

In PHOTOSHOP you can copy and PASTE a portion of the tape and ROTATE IT!!! SERIOUSLY??? Are you GRAPHIC DEFICIENT?? It is VERY simple to ascertain, and measure with the raw tools in the photo as IS and arrive at a very usable product!

I doubled the image to alleviate camera distortion. I was hesitant about rotating the measuring tape for this reason.... Also, if the hoverboard is on a slight slope then you won't get a perfect measurement by rotating it.

See Roland's measurement he just posted - he got 4.75 by using the closest part of the tape measure.

...A lot of you tend to OVERTHINK the process! It is simply NOT that complex. MOST people who want to own a hoverboard are really NOT that anal retentive! WITH THAT SAID please lighten up clock 88!

1. You said your parts are screen correct.
2. You said they were 99 to 100% accurate.
3. When someone pointed out that you may be to big you told them they were "WRONG".

These are big claims. You never approached this subject lightly and you are telling me to lighten up? If you would have said "here are my hoverboard parts what do you think?"... I would have said they look great!

I have one statement to make that sums it ALL up ' EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE".

When you are talking about 100% accuracy this is not true. You made this claim.

WTF?? Do you THINK I am NEW at this??? I have been in graphics for over 20 years!!! I am a certified ENGINEER and have a Masters degree!

I don't know you from a can of paint.

Look at Roland's post; he is not an engineer and he corrected you. Is he wrong?

Last edited:
i dont have anything to do with this im just an observer...but if a whole group of guys who spent hours and hours studying photos all concluded the same measurements and you claim that yours are accurate even tho there too big , its kinda a no brainer that your measurements are most likely if not definately wrong

hover.jpg
I think the issue you are missing is that the board in that photo is on a slight incline towards the magnet you are measuring.
You can see this in the exact photo you posted. The center piece shows on the tape that is laying on, to be about 4.5". Yet you took part of the tape that was further down and laid it on that piece. It shows 5". Why? Because of that incline. The tape itself was smaller down the board and to bring that scale upwards gives you a false impression of the true size. Trust Roland! Seriously, you will NOT find anyone more detailed oriented than he, and he is known for getting accuracy down to the split hair on his props. So when he does the measuring and shows proof.... it is usually correct :)

But putting all this aside... you got skills and your craftsmanship looks great!

View attachment 356516
I think the issue you are missing is that the board in that photo is on a slight incline towards the magnet you are measuring.
You can see this in the exact photo you posted. The center piece shows on the tape that is laying on, to be about 4.5". Yet you took part of the tape that was further down and laid it on that piece. It shows 5". Why? Because of that incline. The tape itself was smaller down the board and to bring that scale upwards gives you a false impression of the true size. Trust Roland! Seriously, you will NOT find anyone more detailed oriented than he, and he is known for getting accuracy down to the split hair on his props. So when he does the measuring and shows proof.... it is usually correct :)

But putting all this aside... you got skills and your craftsmanship looks great!

Not that it is a big deal or changes anything, but I think you accidentally measured the battery box wrong. His measuring tape reads the battery box at 4.75 in your example, not 5".

coolpropdude

your parts do look good, but you need to relax and take some constructive criticism, you're not going to win friends by acting the way you are (if you hadn't said you'd been in graphics for 20 years i'd have questioned how old you were - i'd assume you're approx 40 though so you should know how to act and know that you're not making any friends by being the way you are). Accept that you got it wrong and move on, there's plenty of people on here that will be willing to help you make your parts truly accurate (or maybe not anymore!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it is a big deal or changes anything, but I think you accidentally measured the battery box wrong. His measuring tape reads the battery box at 4.75 in your example, not 5".
You are correct sir :lol
Still doesn't change that the tape he is using is slightly out of scale.

A lot of you tend to OVERTHINK the process! It is simply NOT that complex. MOST people who want to own a hoverboard are really NOT that anal retentive! ...' EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE".

"Overthinking," being anal retentive, and trying to eliminate the subjective in the ultimate hunt for accurate measurements and final parts makes up a lot of what this board's all about. :D If you're approaching this board with a different belief, then I think that's where the disconnect lies within this thread. Folks here are passionate about accuracy, so any claims of parts being "screen correct" get pretty close scrutiny and debate. You just can't make that claim on this board without your ducks in a row and a thick skin to withstand the scrutiny that folks will apply to this claim.

Now if you were to have titled the thread as "My Hoverboard Project" instead of "Screen Correct Hoverboard Project," entirely different story. Folks would be encouraging and provide any assistance you requested.

Hope this makes sense and explains the passionate replies. Again, I wish you luck on whatever direction you take with these parts.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back