THe Hollywood cancel Train..all aboard!

I find Netflix has far better original programming than the trash on network TV.

I'm also a big Walking Dead fan.

GoT and Silicon Valley Sundays as well :)

I agree, season 1 was phenomenal but after that they seemed to have lost their way and didn't know which way to go. I liked in the beginning how modern firearms were uncommon and not even the Munroe militia was fully equipped with them, with most of their troops being armed with some form of musket. Fast forward to season 2 and now every has M4s/M16s and are firing off rounds like they could just walk down to their local gun store and buy more. I really think the only thing that kept me watching was the cast, they had some great actors and Charlie was definitely very watchable.

exactly!! season 2 was a huge disappointment, its like they totally forgot about what happened in season 1. and if you think about it, there was no mission what so ever in season2, there was no story.. nothing...maybe charlie love affair? idk.. i was wicked disappointed, i wanted to know so much more about the tower, and where the people inside it are now and stuff.. hell its been so long. grace.. the woman who had one of the pendants... is she still alive? i forgot.. she was one of my favorites, Neville was amazing too..

When has there ever been a great movie turned into an awesome show??...and don't say some of Star Trek....because that doesn't count, because I never liked anything Star Trek:lol

Real Ghotbusters. Syndicated version, of course ;o)
animation could have been better though.

Well, the other day I found out Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing" was cancelled. Of course Fox news is playing it up as some kind of leftwing conspiracy. I goggled it, and it was only one of about 17 shows that got the axe recently. Among them were Ken Jeong's "Dr. Ken" (the season closer had his character auditioning for a show about a community college, created by Dan Harmon, making the series a sort of alternate universe prequel to "Community"), and NBC's "Powerless" (great concept, so-so execution).

On the other hand, the timing of the cancellation of their #2 rated sitcom seemed a bit, shall we say, odd. They claim it was due to declining ratings and production costs, especially Tim's salary. But it was just after he appeared on a talk show and compared being a conservative in Hollywood to living in Nazi Germany. If what they say about who runs Hollywood is true, maybe that wasn't the best comparison to make.

Either way, I don't care WHY it was cancelled. I rather liked it. It's one of the few shows whose content stood up to repeated viewings (if you have a whole day to yourself, between Freeform, Hallmark, and local syndication, you can probably watch about 12 episodes a day). Anyway, I'll miss it.

Well, the other day I found out Tim Allen's "Last Man Standing" was cancelled. Of course Fox news is playing it up as some kind of leftwing conspiracy. I goggled it, and it was only one of about 17 shows that got the axe recently. Among them were Ken Jeong's "Dr. Ken" (the season closer had his character auditioning for a show about a community college, created by Dan Harmon, making the series a sort of alternate universe prequel to "Community"), and NBC's "Powerless" (great concept, so-so execution).

On the other hand, the timing of the cancellation of their #2 rated sitcom seemed a bit, shall we say, odd. They claim it was due to declining ratings and production costs, especially Tim's salary. But it was just after he appeared on a talk show and compared being a conservative in Hollywood to living in Nazi Germany. If what they say about who runs Hollywood is true, maybe that wasn't the best comparison to make.

Either way, I don't care WHY it was cancelled. I rather liked it. It's one of the few shows whose content stood up to repeated viewings (if you have a whole day to yourself, between Freeform, Hallmark, and local syndication, you can probably watch about 12 episodes a day). Anyway, I'll miss it.

I'm not going to get political, but it really makes you wonder. I love Tim Allen even more.

Why do these people think a cool 1-2 hour movie like Limitless, 12 Monkeys and the up coming 'please god kill me SW live action show' can sustain 10 hours and then 6 seasons??

When has there ever been a great movie turned into an awesome show??...and don't say some of Star Trek....because that doesn't count, because I never liked anything Star Trek:lol

Ghostbusters got turned into REAL Ghostbusters. The SYNDICATED versions actually improved on the movie.

we don't talk about the ABC era :)

Ah Last Man Standing's comedy felt like a bunch of "canned" comedy. It was good back when his other sitcom was popular but (IMO) it does not stand up as well now a days.

He actually hit it exactly on the mark. If you don't tow the line you don't get any jobs. That's not even in dispute. The media of course took his comment and made a total left turn to push their view because it was nothing about Jews in Nazi Germany, but rather the Nazis cracking down on any speech they didn't like. The media, by twisting what he said, demonstrated his point pretty well. I generally don't like Nazi comparisons because usually the people who say it don't know what they're talking about other than that they heard Nazis were bad. In this case it was correct as far as speech. I never saw that show, but I always liked Home Improvement.

I'm not going to get political, but it really makes you wonder. I love Tim Allen even more.

from what i remember of his comment, he's right. don't agree with the mass hysteria, and you get pushed out. by the same people who claim to be so positive and supportive and open to change in the first place. unless you disagree with them. we see it here all the time, if you dare to say anything negative about movies or tv shows ;o)

i never saw last man standing myself. something about it didn't vibe with me. maybe because it looked like a clone of home improvement.....and HI was just funnier.

As soon as I heard him say what he did, I knew his days were numbered. No big surprise. If only we could cancel Hollywood itself. Send Luca Brasi to pay them a visit.

Ah Last Man Standing's comedy felt like a bunch of "canned" comedy. It was good back when his other sitcom was popular but (IMO) it does not stand up as well now a days.

This.

I watched the first couple seasons and then just kind of had enough. There were better things to do with my time than watch 22 minutes of not-really-funny jokes.

Did you guys see the Guillermo del Toro interview where he talks about the Mountains of madness? I think the dvd and merch points are killing a lot of projects. Sad as that might be I hope more producers take that under consideration and pair up with directors accordingly. I know the lull might be hard times but the future of merchandise and maybe even screen used props looks good. Fingers crossed...

ABC said that they were getting rid of comedies on Friday night (no one else has them) and that left their remaining slots thinner and then add the fact they don't own the show or have a stake in it (no sydnication money for ABC) and it makes sense.

Had ABC had a stake, it probably would have been given a chance. How it would have fared on their tuesday night lineup or their small wednesday window, who knows.

ABC said that they were getting rid of comedies on Friday night (no one else has them) and that left their remaining slots thinner and then add the fact they don't own the show or have a stake in it (no sydnication money for ABC) and it makes sense.

Had ABC had a stake, it probably would have been given a chance. How it would have fared on their tuesday night lineup or their small wednesday window, who knows.

The political angle seems less persuasive in light of these kinds of facts. But those kinds of facts are a lot less sexy to report on.

TVByTheNumbers has their "cancel bear" watch, and although the odds looked high for a renewal, if the network is rejiggering its weeknight lineup, and it doesn't own a show, why should it really care about it?

Do you move it to another night? Will that help or hurt the night you move it to? Is it expected to anchor a lineup? To just be a solid performer in that lineup? To act as a lead-in for other shows that need a boost? All of those kinds of things factor in.

But sure, let's focus instead on Tim Allen's political faux pas, which may make him look like a doofus, but otherwise are pretty inconsequential. It's not as if there was some massive call for a boycott of his show, or advertisers pulling sponsorship like what happened to The O'Reilly Factor, at least as far as I know. It was just some run-of-the-mill sitcom in which ABC had no stake. Compare that, for example, to a show like Agents of SHIELD, or Grimm on NBC. Grimm was produced by NBC/Universal, so it was essentially "in house." And even though each year of its 5-season run it was always "on the bubble" for a while, it kept on surviving in spite of being in the Friday Night Death Slot.

Why? Because the show was in-house and it did well enough to warrant renewal. Same story with SHIELD. Same story with a ton of the CW shows. They're all in-house, basically.

Those kinds of considerations tend to factor in a lot more than "The star said something controversial/stupid/that people hated on national TV."

I think that Last Man Standing being canceled was a combination of factors and I think that Tim Allen's political beliefs was one of them. True, there were some legitimate reasons for cancelling LMS but at the same time, ABC renewed shows with lower ratings than LMS had. So I think that Tim's political leanings caused ABC to not really want to try to figure out a slot for it outside of Fridays.

I never watched the show, myself, but unless he was forcing those opinions in to the show, who gives a flying #$% what his personal beliefs are. I generally don't care what a celeb's political views are unless they start forcing them into their work. That's when it becomes a factor as far as i'm concerned.

As for the other shows, did the renewed shows with lower ratings happen to be owned by the network? 10 years ago, it wasn't a factor, today, it's a rather large factor unless the show is doing really well.

It looks like ABC does 2 hours of comedy tuesday, 1 hour wedneday and 1 friday. If they're killing the 1 on friday, was there an open slot on tuesday or wednesday for it? Were any of those 6 shows canceled or renewed but with lower ratings and not owned by ABC?

the political blame game is getting sad. People are trying to lay the blame for ESPN's failings at it's feet too, though it has nothing to do with it. You don't cancel your cable because EPSN takes a slant, you just stop watching. Cord cutters and high priced programming along with out of control schtik is killing ESPN. But few want to highlight that aspect.

A number of better shows with better ratings have been up and canceled in the past and people didn't start trying to cast blame. They registered their complaint that they shouldn't be canceled and then went on with their lives. Politics never got involved in it, period. Shows HAVE been canceled in the past because the head of the network or the owner of the network personally didn't like it. @#$% happens.

As I began with, I doubt Tim is putting the conservative stuff IN the show. It's his outside appearances. And even at that, it's not like he's been voicing super hard line stuff either.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back