Rey's LPA NN-14 Blaster Pistol

The14thDr

Sr Member
Since I first saw The Force Awakens, I've been fascinated by the blaster that Han gave to Rey on Takodana, so this prop has been on the to-do list for quite some time. I started the build back in May, but recently decided to get my backside into gear and finish it off.
d438b131cc0142ff64b9a3e93c02ef42.jpg

All that needs to be added now are the grips, the safety switch and a few other details.

In the meantime, can anyone guess what I might have made this from? Answers on a postcard please. ;)

Last night I made the first hand-grip, modelled with air-drying clay to fit the shape of the handle.
3df958943403a52ee45d278d7452ab2c.jpg

061bc97a8563621dae5230b6ba364c16.jpg

I added the grooves using a piece of string - unfortunately I messed up on the spacing so I only ended up with 9 instead of 11.

For the "screws", I used a length of wooden dowel to poke holes in the clay then used a Philips head screwdriver to add the crosses.
3fe00dbcfc166eacfded59a05a752da5.jpg

Last edited:
Today I painted the first grip with acrylic paints and coated it in Mod Podge to seal.
22b8ee8e548e2d5c9150ffae82244890.jpg

Next up will be modelling the second grip and building the safety switch. :)

I returned to Poundland today to buy another one of their toy “Mauser” guns, this time to harvest for the black grips.

After removing the old clay grip, I sanded the handle smooth and repainted it, before gluing the new grips into place.
bfa1c33b84d8bb400f5cb7cc4a47669a.jpg

Almost finished now. Just need to add the safety switch, the trigger and all those screwheads.

Looking good! What are you planning on using for the safety?
Funny you should ask! I started working on the safety earlier today. I’m using a piece of hardboard for the base and some 1/2” dowel for the switch itself. I’m just trying to decide whether it’s worth the trouble of incorporating a small slide switch to make the safety actually function...

I’ll try to get some photos posted over the next couple of days!

As promised, here is a photo of the (very simple) safety switch I made. Nothing fancy, just a 12x30mm piece of hardboard with the corners rounded off and some 1/2” wooden dowel shaped to match the original prop.

In the end I decided against putting a real switch inside the safety, simply because it was a lot of work for so little gain.
e79c3bc98c91384986af29784d854746.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back