Obi-wan - Hales Grenade - Needle - Measurements?

Ridire Firean

Sr Member
Hey Gang! I know there's at least three members here who have the needles / firing pins from original Hales Grenades.

If you have time, and a caliper handy, would you please take some measurements for me?

GRENADE - HALES - MK1 No3 - NEEDLE - 01 - Ridire Firean.jpg

I based my drawing off of a near 100% print of one of scottjua's original parts photos, oddly I found what looks like an old blueprint of a No.3, Mark 1 and printed it out at as near 100% life-size as I could too, and wouldn't you know it looks longer and has a slightly different shape than scottjua's. Hopefully there aren't as many iterations of the needle as there are of the wind vanes and grenade bodies!

Not included in the drawing, but something I'd like to know, is... how many grooves are there down the sides of the needle?

If there are any other transitions, shapes, or dimensions I may have missed in the drawing from not having the actual part in hand, please include them in your responses.

I have an idea for this part and thought it'd be neat to have it be accurate to the original. So, if you can help me out, that'd be AWESOME!

I look forward to seeing how close my guesstimates are!

Last edited:
I have quite a few of them but am out of town for a couple of days. I can help out when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, just PM me you address and I'll send you one.

It's the firing pin for the grenade. The windvane spins off while in the air releasing two bolts hidden beneath the windvane. Those bilts were holding this needle in place in the "neck" of the grenade. A spring around the firing pin end pulls it into the detonator cap igniting the explosives.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.JPG
    IMG_2484.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 139
I have quite a few of them but am out of town for a couple of days. I can help out when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, just PM me you address and I'll send you one.

WOW! Really? It'd be AWESOME to have one of these in hand to do the measurements! I promise I'll take good care of it and get it back to you pronto. Say... two days? That'd give me time to measure one day, and make arrangements with the post office to get it back to you on the second.

Inside the grenade so not part of the prop

Or what if it was????....

Ridire Firean - Obi-wan - Cone Emitter - 01.jpg

@teecrooz, that's the same blueprint I found! I grabbed all of the blueprint / patent schematics for the Graflex Flash Gun from Google too! I wish we could find out when Oscar Steiner's birthday was so we could celebrate Oscar Steiner Day. And we could have a Hales day too! Assuming the inventor of the No. 3, Mark 1 was named Hale that is. I'll have to dig into that.
@Panaflex and @matty matt, the first time I saw the needle / firing pin, I knew exactly what to do with it. Though truthfully, I'm a little afraid of it. The bit that I have in there now I polished to a wee fine point and if I'm not being careful remembering it's there.... it reminds me! Having the actual needle there at the end might be more than uncomfortable if it poked you. But hey! It's a more elegant weapon for a more civilized age right?!
@Lichtbringer, isn't it cool! The age we live in is fascinating! The internet is such an amazing learning tool. Add lightsabers on top of it too... I mean, c'mon!

Last edited:
I don't know how precise you want to be, but they come in different shapes/cuts. Here are two examples.

Attachments

• IMG_2788.JPG
    IMG_2788.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2789.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2790.JPG
    IMG_2790.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
Thank you for the photos! Does the sharp beveled version have the same diameter as the MIG nosed one? I like the look of the pointy sharp beveled one! I think that'd be what I use to replicate the emitter cone I have in mind. Parts like these are just so cool! Off to putz with my sketch book!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back