Umbrella Corporation Fleet Vehicle Build - Cherokee XJ - Updates!

Picture Post 9 - CB Radio Install / Bumper Clean-Up

In this post we will show the steps we took in designing a very basic antenna bracket, and the cleaning up and installation of the CB radio and antenna's as well as some fresh undercoating paint to change the rear bumper appearance.

Pretty picture heavy:

First step was making some basic antenna mounts. The XJ is not CB-Radio equipped as far as making installation easy. Some people simply run those magnetic antennas or a single fire stick off the front. We wanted our build to look more military/rugged, so we decided on running dual 4 foot black antennas. I designed some basic mounts using Photoshop and had the R&D team help me cut them and break the bracket edge. Material is 3/16" steel. Design is a simple 6" hook shape that relocate the antennas to the sides of the hatch, providing hatch clearance.

brackets_bare_pair.jpg

Once I made sure my mounting would work, we marked locations on the rear bumper and drilled them for the mounts.

Not the best picture in the world, but this shows the mount locations drilled on both sides of the bumper. You will also notice in this picture how worn the bumper looks as far as having seen it's time and use. I didn't like this look of this at all, so we address this as well.

drilled_mounts.jpg

The next two pictures show my spraying the raw brackets with etching primer and Duplicolor undercoating material. Etching primer is designed for coating and treating raw steel.

brackets_etching.jpg

antenna_bracket_coating.jpg

The next step was cleaning up the bumper. I prepped the bumper with 180 grit and cleaned and used degreaser to finish prepping it for under coating.

Once I prepped the bumper I taped off the lighting area and gap between the bumper and rear hatch interior.

bumper_prepped.jpg

Here is the finished look of the sprayed rear bumper. You can notice the CB Antenna mount holes easier in this picture.

bumper_painted.jpg

This next photo shows the Antenna mount bolted up. This was during the final fitment process. Picture does not show very well that once fully tightened, both the brackets were horizontal and in-line with the shape and level of the rear bumper. Picture also doesn't show that this

mount_fitment.jpg

Prior to finalizing the antenna install, we took a picture with the hatch shut showing the new look of the rear bumper.

bumper_painted_finished.jpg

With the antennas ready to install, we went ahead and installed the CB radio and ran the antenna wire.

There weren't very many pictures worth taking during this process. So... here's the basic steps I took.

Antenna: The antenna wiring was quite simple to run. We ran the cable through the tail light housing bucket located near the hatch. It drops it below the bumper, in front of it, and is completely hidden with hatch open or shut. We then tucked the wiring into the plastics along the body until it got towards the front and slid it through the carpet under the seat.

For power: We tapped an open fuse spot location on the passenger side below the dash. I then grounded it to the unibody on the metal framing of the dash nearby, ran the wiring, and cut a small hole in the carpet so the power wiring would come out directly behind the mounted CB.

Total install time to run the power, antenna wiring, and mount the bracket and CB radio was about 1.5 hours. Total time installing antenna mounts and antennas for fully functioning system was about 3-4 hours.

Here is a picture of the mounted CB radio.

cbmounted_interior.jpg

As mentioned above, radio is the black Cobra 29 with digital face and black controls and microphone.

And here is the finished picture of the installed antennas and painted rear bumper. Due to the cb antenna mounts, the already modified and broken factory lower quarter plastic would no longer fit. We are currently in the process of either purchasing the JCR panel replacement armor, factory plastics, and/or may create our own simple replacement panel.

cb_rear_finished.jpg

Ta-Da!

Next post - Hopefully later this morning/this afternoon, will show all the new parts we've just purchased. I'm pretty damn excited...and I think that's the first time I've used language in this entire build thread haha....but we have some Awesome parts coming that will tie everything together for how we want this Jeep to look within the next couple weeks...and then we start the vinyl process!

-Will & Family

Great work!
couple of questions I have though,
1) are you planning to paint or vinyl wrap the jeep? i just can't stand the maroon colour showing through!
2) have you considered putting some grab handles above the doors like the American SWAT vehicles? you know so people can ride on the running boards? (not saying I would suggest this really but i can see umbrella corp soldiers doing it for quick dismounting. like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6fJwnsZiaNM/TG8v1SzjvSI/AAAAAAAABQw/La7jIet8Z3U/s400/swat.jpg
3) any nice whip antennae for it? again i think it would compliment the personal radios nicely.

other than that it looks very cool and i would love to have something like it!

Great work!
couple of questions I have though,
1) are you planning to paint or vinyl wrap the jeep? i just can't stand the maroon colour showing through!
2) have you considered putting some grab handles above the doors like the American SWAT vehicles? you know so people can ride on the running boards? (not saying I would suggest this really but i can see umbrella corp soldiers doing it for quick dismounting. like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6fJwnsZiaNM/TG8v1SzjvSI/AAAAAAAABQw/La7jIet8Z3U/s400/swat.jpg
3) any nice whip antennae for it? again i think it would compliment the personal radios nicely.

other than that it looks very cool and i would love to have something like it!

The:

We do not currently plan to wrap the entire Jeep. We've been torn on the burgundy as well, but we're not done doing our vinyl work on it, and we've continued to purchase additional items, mostly black accented items, that continue to darken the entire vehicles appearance.

As far as grab handles, one of the new items purchased is a 50" Safari roof rack with additional lighting. We figure this will be the handle for people who would potentially stand on the sides of the vehicle. Though we could consider additional handles for the more front section of the step bars.

We considered the whip antenna for a long time. I went back and forth on this. With the way we plan to dress out the rear of the vehicle...which I will post pictures of the new purchases tomorrow, I feel the dual black antennas I decided on will fit better or at least emulate a similar military feel.

I have no issues answering direct questions, even those questioning or showing concern in parts of the process. We're basically limited on our time for the build on this, so as at least the first build, if not the only for this specific vehicle, I feel confident that it will all roll in together smoothly once completed.

Picture post update tomorrow with images of what we have heading our direction to basically finish the exterior components of the build. After a few minor remaining interior upgrades and additions, we hope to have it finished to start mocking up the final vinyl work in 4-5 weeks.

-Will

Picture Post 10 - Safari Roof Rack!

Alright...another big upgrade for the XJ went down this week. We sourced an amazing deal on a Safari brand 50" roof rack with pre-wired and mounted lighting.

Original we had planned to build the roof rack ourselves, but in this situation, I couldn't turn it down.

Here is the Safari brand rack we acquired:

safari_rack.jpg

Here we start with a picture showing the factory roof rail system still attached.

factory_rack.jpg

Using a T25 torx bit, we removed the factory rail system quite easily. We chose, for now, to replace the bolts into the threaded sleeves pre-formed from the factory, in case it were possible to cause any leaks and/or rust over time.

factory_removed.jpg

Here you can see us testing where we plan to finalize its location on the roof. You can notice the rain-rail brackets are not attached yet.

And... Ta-Da! The fully attached and mounted roof rack!

rack_finished.jpg

I will post a parts-update thread later showing a few more goodies we're waiting to receive, as well as a few pictures tomorrow of the Jeep. It had a quick photo shoot taken today for marketing purposes.

-Will & Family

Last edited:
Picture Post 11 - Quick Shoot

Today we took the Cherokee out for some fun photos to better show its current state. Driveway pictures and tree shade don't represent this vehicle properly.

Enjoy!

First we took a couple pictures of it outside, prior to getting a little dirty.

clean.jpg

clean_angle.jpg

Then we went out to a local wild life hunting area for a little mud.

flex_front.jpg

level_angle.jpg

level_front.jpg

As always, feel free to offer any input or questions.

-Will & Family

i....LOVE .... this jeep !!!!

Thanks for the input @ Mitch and Renallace!

I will post a brief 'parts update' post in a bit. Jeep is currently at a stand-still for a week or two while we wait on parts to arrive. If I'm lucky, I'll post a few basic pictures of the head unit install. Nothing too fancy, just an updated modern Kenwood with audio input and USB input.... I don't know how we've survived the 6 months we've been working on this beast with local radio/factory radio and cassette tape haha.

Thanks,

Will & Family

Picture Post 12 - Parts Update:

This will be one of the Final Parts Updates!

As far as exterior modifications go, we have two items we are considering still adding to addition to what has already been done, but these last items are already purchased and most have been received.

The roof rack was part of this list, but was received and installed prior to plans and therefore I won't reference it in this post.

SmittyBuilt Jerry Can Holder:

jerry_mount.jpg

Military grade metal black Jerry Can:

jerrycan.jpg

Smitty Built Tactical Seat Covers - Black! (These are AWESOME! We scored them for $100 off retail online, and are worth it!)
For the price, all attachable bags are included! As well as (1) nice velcro American Flag patch.

seat_covers.jpg

Here is the big one we're excited about.

Gobi Built-To-Order Rear Hatch Ladder!

This, in combination with the blacked our jerry can holder and can, will make the rear of the jeep (combined with the cb antennas and blacked out bumper) look just as aggressive and field-ready as the front of the jeep.

gobi_ladder.jpg

That's it for now! Jerry Can, Jerry Can Bracket, and Tactical Seat Covers have already been received. Waiting til we receive the Gobi ladder before we install anything. We like to do vehicles in sections at the same time. The tactical seat covers will probably be installed this weekend, as well hopefully as the replacement head unit.

-Will & Family

Hey Will, this is a great build, I love movie based vehicles and this one is very original and bad-*****! Those tactical seat covers are sweet, I might have to get those for my BD-mobile. :) I really like that this is a family project, we have a vehicle conversion on the horizon as well so this is inspiring. Keep up the awesome work! :cool:thumbsup (subscribed)

Nice build. I don't see the Umbrella logo on the finished vehicle. What happened?

Slaide,

Vehicle is far from finished. We have the above new items to still install, as well as a few more small interior electronic upgrades and potentially a snorkel and roof visor haha. AFTER all of that, we will be applying our decal work to the entire vehicle. Much more than just the door decal. I am very excited about this part of the project, but it will probably be about 4-5 weeks before we truly devote the rest of our time in this project in making the decal kit.

The kit will be available in Cherokee XJ form for specific XJ owners, but we will then also make a kit that is universal to all vehicles. We hope it is much more appreciated than the very limited selection of current available Umbrella themed windshield/door decals they sell online.

Thanks for your positive comment though, and please stay involved in the thread!

-Will & Family

Hey Will, this is a great build, I love movie based vehicles and this one is very original and bad-*****! Those tactical seat covers are sweet, I might have to get those for my BD-mobile. :) I really like that this is a family project, we have a vehicle conversion on the horizon as well so this is inspiring. Keep up the awesome work! :cool:thumbsup (subscribed)

Big Daddy: Thank you for your input. I really appreciate having some project support on RPF from a 'senior' member. I want this thread to continue to thrive with questions, input, compliments, even negative input if one so finds that to be what they choose to input.

This hasn't been the easiest project to afford building in such a fast time frame, but the quicker we build, the faster it's done and we can move to the next interesting project haha. We plan to have a few more theme builds in the future. My wife is extremely supportive, her input is reflected in certain modifications we've done on the vehicle. She is also planning to dress up as an 'agent/solider' for when we're at DragonCon all weekend and for the parade. This helps quite a bit when you decide to spend somewhere around $8,000 on a specific type of vehicle build haha.

This has been a blast though, and again, I hope more members chime in with input and support. We're extremely excited to see this as a finished project. We hope to basically have this finished by the end of May or early June so that we can hit a few local car shows and events prior to its purpose for the DragonCon parade in August.

-Will & Family

Quick Update: Things have been quite hectic. This week marks my first week of only working part time now so that I can focus on continuing to expand our vinyl business.

I will post probably a dozen pictures later tonight. This weekend we were able to install the Kenwood head unit, the SmittyBuilt Tactical Seat Covers (awesome) and we also blacked out the front grille and headlight buckets.

Project is still moving along. Last main exterior updates are still being held up due to the arrival of the Gobi rear ladder.

Then its vinyl time!

-Will

Picture Post 13 - Kenwood head unit install - Jeep Cherokee

The follow pictures will show the basic installation steps necessary to replace the factory radio. Installation is quite simple if you follow the provided wiring diagrams. I advise purchasing a proper dash kit and wiring harness to make installation a breeze as well as maintaining its ability to be plug and play. AKA - Do Not Hard Wire! Highly not recommended and can cause issues long term as well as damage if not properly wired with inline fuses, etc.

*We did run into one fun kink. The jeep had been previously wired with a remotely located 6-disc cd changed that no longer existed in the vehicle. The remote controller however was, but luckily, was somewhat professionally installed, as it maintained an aftermarket harness kit as well, and did not permanently affect any of the factor wiring harness.

Pics! - Enjoy!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

This vehicle is being built as a functioning theme vehicle. An updated radio with HD Radio was necessary. It is a redonkulous upgrade to the factory head unit. It is amazing how many channels on basic FM stations I receive now with the upgraded head unit. It also has a few modern day necessary upgrades such as direct USB and audion input.

-Will & Family

Picture Post 14: Smitty Built Tactical Seat Covers!

This post is awesome! These seat covers add such a drastic change and upgrade to the interior. With plans to add a black tablet to the passenger dash board and a naturally black police scanner to the front 'communications' equipment, the seat covers really darken and look great with the black head unit upgrade and the black Cobra29 CB.

You will notice in the finished pictures that the front seats look a little loose or baggy around the back support area. After only driving it for a day to work and back and the store and back, they have settled into place a Lot better. I figure they will break in and fall into place after a few weeks of use.

*Installation was pretty straight forward. Instructions are included, but we tightened ours into place based on its best locations on the framing under each seat. The bags can be arrange however you want, as the entire black, part of the front, and sides of the seat covers have Multiple slot locations.

Each seat cover comes with an almost blackish dark American flag patch thats pretty awesome. Usually i'm not into 'average' labeling of items such as rebel flags, etc., but these patches make the pouches pop out off the seat covers and draw attention quite well.

Each seat, as shown in the first picture, comes provided with all the bags they show and discuss in the description of the item.

Pics! Enjoy!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

As always, Thanks - More Updates Soon!

-Will & Family

Looks fantastic Will, those seat covers look perfect, plenty of room for extra ammo when your driving through zombie country! :cool:thumbsup

Picture Post 15: Grille and headlight bucket Black Out!

In this post I'll show the basic process of us blacking out the grille and headlight housings in matching Duplicolor under-coating material. I've been very impressed with this product so far. It has held up just fine to full pressure washing at do-it-yourself car washes.

In this post I will simply post the photos showing the process. It was quite simple to remove the grille, 4 small bolts, and removing the headlights which are used as outer anchors to help secure the grille, and you can simply pull it out. The aftermarket Ipex headlights also had easily detachable bucket housings. To make them all properly match, all three pieces had to be removed and painted.

Enjoy!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Finished!

Updates: Things have been hectic again as usual. My first week part-time resulted in just trying to keep our heads above water. With a few routine family check-up appointments this week and other random unexpected errands, we were lucky to try to keep all of our web sales within our shipping standards.

We did, however, receive AND install the Gobi ladder for the rear, and the SmittyBuilt jerry can holder and black metal jerry can. It looks great! My brother Jason also went around the entire vehicle and removed all the factory badges, leaving only the word "HERO" left on the two front doors hah.

I will post probably around 10 pictures within the next day or two of these updates.

We are officially at the point of starting the vinyl installation for all the Umbrella UBCS decal designs and additional 'black-out' vinyl kits on a few more locations on the body. We HOPE that we can start on some of the more basic vinyl work by weeks end.

-Will & Family

Picture Post 16 - Rear Hatch Ladder and Jerry Can! :

I'll keep this post as brief as I can. The Gobi ladder is definitely worth waiting 2-4 weeks to receive. The finished quality of the product is great, the welds are nice, the coating seems pretty well solid, all brackets and hardware were spot on, and installation took about 20 minutes. For the price, it is a great product, and it really helped beef up the rear of the vehicle.

The SmittyBuilt Jerry Can universal holder was quite easily installed. We lined up the racked, marked the hole locations and drilled the hatch. We used all four bolt locations and used flat plate steel on the inside to help sandwich the hatch material so as to not weaken it over time or crack it from vibration and weight.

Both products turned out great, and we think it really spruced up the rear to match the aggressiveness of the front end. We plan a small matte black decal package to cover the majority of the rear hatch space as well shortly.

Pics - Enjoy!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

-Will&Family

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back