Anyone know about Han Solo's Comlink in ESB?

Taco-Bot

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the Empire Strikes Back, while Han Solo and Leia are fleeing Echo Base on Hoth, an ice tunnel caves in. Han Solo pulls something off his belt and speaks into it with something like "Can't get the princess to her transport, I'll have to get her out on the Falcon."

Does anyone know what prop it was he speaks into? Is it his droid caller? Is it the carburetor from a Revell V8 visible engine model kit?

In the Empire Strikes Back, while Han Solo and Leia are fleeing Echo Base on Hoth, an ice tunnel caves in. Han Solo pulls something off his belt and speaks into it with something like "Can't get the princess to her transport, I'll have to get her out on the Falcon."

Does anyone know what prop it was he speaks into? Is it his droid caller? Is it the carburetor from a Revell V8 visible engine model kit?

I think he pulls it from his pocket, not his belt. I know that does not help identify it but it might keep you from wasting time searching for items on his belt. The way he holds it makes me think it could possibly be a a standard comlink... or a roll of Lifesavers candy. :p

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-3829.jpg

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-3835.jpg

Although not The Empire Strikes Back, it looks like Leia might utilize a standard comlink too.

star-wars6-movie-screencaps.com-11748.jpg

Props Department might just consider the comlink as a standard piece of equipment that is readily available and used by both sides. If this is true, there could also be the possibility of color variants but I of course see no proof of that either.

Also not The Empire Strikes Back, or even the movies but in Rebels, the Ghost's crew utilize the same type of comlink as the Empire.

Last edited:

I was watching the film the other day and had the same thought! :)

I always assumed that the cylinder on his pistol belt that people call a droid caller was his com. It never made sense to me, considering how he felt in "Star Wars" about robots, that he would have a droid caller on his belt. A com would seem more likely.

David.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back