The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

I purchased a pair of these for 40 bucks from eBay, very good quality, real leather, and they look pretty great on their own. I'm planning on modifying them to be more accurate, but I'm not quite sure just how yet. I was thinking of using foam. If you're interested in a pair, you can find them on eBay by searching "full grain leather half chaps".
foot.JPG

What are you guys using to darken your jackets? Mine is pretty bright red, so it needs to be considerably darker. I don't know if diluted shoe polish/black dye would work or not. It's also made out of vinyl, so I don't know if leather dyes would work either way...

I got the fjackets version months ago, thinking I'd be ahead of the curve. Only now am I seeing these improved versions on Ebay and that nice (expensive) one on Etsy, two weeks before NY Comic Con. I might get the Ebay one and use that instead -- but now I see several sellers, all using the same picture. WHICH DO I TRUST.
Also, for those who have gotten the Ebay one, how's the fit around the waist? I'm a thin fella.

I got the fjackets version months ago, thinking I'd be ahead of the curve. Only now am I seeing these improved versions on Ebay and that nice (expensive) one on Etsy, two weeks before NY Comic Con. I might get the Ebay one and use that instead -- but now I see several sellers, all using the same picture. WHICH DO I TRUST.
Also, for those who have gotten the Ebay one, how's the fit around the waist? I'm a thin fella.

After looking at the measurements, I decided to go with an XS. I typically wear a size medium shirt (38 inch chest) and my waist size is 34. The XS fits my chest and waist perfectly, slim and snug. When in doubt, just measure yourself and go by the size chart. As far as I can tell, they're accurate.

After looking at the measurements, I decided to go with an XS. I typically wear a size medium shirt (38 inch chest) and my waist size is 34. The XS fits my chest and waist perfectly, slim and snug. When in doubt, just measure yourself and go by the size chart. As far as I can tell, they're accurate.

I find that it's usually safest for me to go smaller. The fjackets one I got fits like a pillowcase, so I had to get the back taken in -- I wasted money on it. I just ordered the XS as you suggested from Ebay -- the latest it's going to arrive is October 8th, the day before I have to be at the Con! I couldn't wait any longer. Fingers crossed... I'm also curious as to people's perspectives on darkening the jacket!

What are you guys using to darken your jackets? Mine is pretty bright red, so it needs to be considerably darker. I don't know if diluted shoe polish/black dye would work or not. It's also made out of vinyl, so I don't know if leather dyes would work either way...

I was going to try and use a dye on it but the finish on the jacket the dye wouldn't really do anything. The two options I came up with to try but haven't yet are using a conditioner, that should darken it a bit and add a bit of olive oil and use a brush to work it in. The other option would be shoe polish and work that in with a firm brush but havent tested that eithe ryet.

What are you guys using to darken your jackets?

To grime it up, I suggest mixing some brown shoe polish with leather balm and then rubbing it in a little at a time. Straight shoe polish will make it too dark- you want to use leather balm (or mix with CLEAR shoe polish) to lessen the pigment in it. Leather dye is good for deep coverage but it contains strong solvents that seem into the leather very quickly, making it hard to do gradients and fades. Thick balm or shoe polish on the other hand, is greasy and takes longer to seep into the leather.

I came up with a pattern for the triangular bits on the coat, if anyone is interested for screen printing purposes. not sure how i'm gonna actually make use of it, since the only way i have to screen print is mod podge and panty hose. thought i might be able to get away with making a stencil on cardstock and using spray paint.

its not anywhere near perfect but i figured i'd share at least, the scale should be pretty good, since i based it off a picture someone posted with their fabric square from the cards next to a ruler.

edit: oh, and i forgot to add its 8.5x11 inches

jacket pattern.jpg

Last edited:
I came up with a pattern for the triangular bits on the coat, if anyone is interested for screen printing purposes. not sure how i'm gonna actually make use of it, since the only way i have to screen print is mod podge and panty hose. thought i might be able to get away with making a stencil on cardstock and using spray paint.

its not anywhere near perfect but i figured i'd share at least, the scale should be pretty good, since i based it off a picture someone posted with their fabric square from the cards next to a ruler.

View attachment 380880

Looks good to me, I was planning on making a stencil out of it then light airbrush white with a bit of silver in it but do it sparingly to make it look like its worn down

edit: oh, and i forgot to add its 8.5x11 inches

View attachment 380880

http://ezscreenprint.com

You're welcome

It's easy enough if you have a plotter/vinyl cutter or some patience to just cut that out by hand, use a foam paint roller and roll on the ink and heat set it before you cut out your pattern and make the jacket.

I purchased a pair of these for 40 bucks from eBay, very good quality, real leather, and they look pretty great on their own. I'm planning on modifying them to be more accurate, but I'm not quite sure just how yet. I was thinking of using foam. If you're interested in a pair, you can find them on eBay by searching "full grain leather half chaps".

"half chaps" - ARGH!! I've been searching "spats" and "gaiters" and never found anything with this look. I may just get the Skechers, a black pair of these, and then put screen-accurate brown spats over them. Close enough, doesn't require tearing the sole off a fairly expensive shoe, and leaves options to use for other looks in the future.

"half chaps" - ARGH!! I've been searching "spats" and "gaiters" and never found anything with this look. I may just get the Skechers, a black pair of these, and then put screen-accurate brown spats over them. Close enough, doesn't require tearing the sole off a fairly expensive shoe, and leaves options to use for other looks in the future.

Hahah, I got those brown half chaps myself, before I noticed you guys going for the same one. My girlfriend does a bit of leather work, so I'm going to see if she can modify them a bit to slice open the back and add those little silver clips running down the calf. Instead of pulling apart a pair of Skechers, I got a pair of Magnum boots that have pretty accurate soles to wear under the half chaps.

Found these base boots for Star Lord! They look rather like his...............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder??

cp-4206-blk-side_large.jpgcp-4206-blk-front_large.jpgcp-4206-blk-back_large.jpgcp-4206-blk_large.jpg

And this is the other boot they make.............I'm just sayin!!!!

1927996-p-DETAILED.jpg

@Capn_Jack_Savvy, are those Funtasma boots? They look similar to some I saw on eBay.

I got to looking at this image again:
starlord+costume+boots+Guardians+of+the+Galaxy.jpg

It looks like the toe and forefoot construction of the boot follow some of the lines of the Skecher - I wonder if there's more than just the sole left? Then the black "boot" that's built up is only the back half, and then the brown spat covers the shin and ankle areas. Does anyone have a better view of the heel area? I'm curious to see if there's any more hint of the Skecher left there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back