Project: Revell AT-AT Walker

Wow, you made it !!!!!!!
It is looking good. Would like to see movie later. ;-)
Please make sure center pin of cam is better to be supported by upper leg cover. It is meaning another end of center pin that one-end fixed by epoxy but another is not. Some sort of support required. Upper leg cover can have such small digged hole because outside surface have mold.
This is what I have done with my prototype. I assume that you have made but just in case.

I'm well ahead of ya swmodelfan1977. The upper leg covers have a round hole to accommodate the center pin as well as the two channels to support the Pistons. And they lay nice and flush against the legs. I'm not using flat head screws to lock them down, so hopefully the set screws I'm using will work.

Yes! Success all the way!

"Qapla'!" Thanks, joberg.

THE LEGS Part XXII

Updates and Prepping.

Well Peoples, I'm in the last leg of this project, so here's another update before I present the final model. Yes, the final model.

upper foot 09.jpeg upper foot 10.jpeg upper foot 11b.jpeg upper foot 12a.jpeg
I needed to make bases for the springs in the feet. I started with four 2mm aluminum disks. These will prevent the Upper Feet from popping out of the Lower Feet Caps.

upper foot 13.jpeg upper foot 14.jpeg upper foot 15.jpeg upper foot 15a.jpeg
Next, I needed something to support the springs. I cut out four wooden disks. These will be bolted to the metal disks and the Upper Feet.

upper foot 16a.jpeg upper foot 17.jpeg
For Tie-Downs, I used four 'easy key release key chains' and mounted the ends in the Upper Feet. They will be eventually bolted to the Foot Pins.

upper foot 18.jpeg upper foot 21.jpeg upper foot 24.jpeg
And lastly, I found these French wisks at the dollar store. They fit perfectly within the Foot Chambers.

More to come.....

THE LEGS Part XXII

Updates and Prepping.

ankle 10.jpeg ankle 12a.jpeg ankle 13.jpeg
After a few adjustments, I added the Posts for the Support Rods to the Ankles.

ankle 18.jpeg ankle 19.jpeg ankle 19a.jpeg
Realizing the set screws, that adjust the tension on the Horse Shoes, weren't going to work, I thought of adding small ball bearings and springs within the Ankles.

ankle 20.jpeg ankle 21.jpeg
It was tricky getting those things in, but I prevailed. To be able to adjust the tension now, it was a matter of tightening the allen bolts on the Horse Shoes.

THE ENGINES Part I

The next big job was the two Engines; Front and Rear.

023_engines 01.jpeg
I started with a template that I made up from my research.

023_engines 02.jpeg 023_engines 03.jpeg
I decided to use the original Revell Engine parts for this stage mainly because of its complex shapes and it would be less work for me to make them from scratch.

023_engines 04.jpeg
I had to shorten the two parts and do some major modifications to get them more or less accurate.

023_engines 05.jpeg 023_engines 06.jpeg 023_engines 07.jpeg 023_engines 08.jpeg
To start, the front Engine had to have layers of styrene to it build up.

023_engines 09.jpeg 023_engines 10.jpeg
It was the same for the rear Engine.

023_engines 11.jpeg 023_engines 12.jpeg 023_engines 13.jpeg 023_engines 14.jpeg
Next, was to construct the mount. All made from styrene pieces.

023_engines 15.jpeg
More details were added as I went along.

023_engines 16.jpeg 023_engines 17.jpeg 023_engines 18.jpeg
The rear Engine 'thingy' and the front Engine pan.

023_engines 19.jpeg 023_engines 20.jpeg 023_engines 21.jpeg 023_engines 22.jpeg
Lastly, was the greeblies. All made from styrene.

More of the Engines to come......

PAINTING and WEATHERING Part I

For a base coat, I looked into what ILM and other modelers have used and decided I'm going to apply the main coat with Tamiya's Surface Primer and then apply a light mixture of Tamiya's Sky Grey XF-19 and Flat White XF-2 with a drop or two of Flat Yellow XF-3. This gave me a nice off grey with a tint of yellow very similar to ILM's color. IMO.

024_paints 00.jpeg 024_paints 01.jpeg 024_paints 02.jpeg 024_paints 03.jpeg

The paints I used:
Tamiya Light Grey Surface Primer - the overall coat

A mixture of:
Tamiya Sky Grey XF-19
Tamiya Flat White XF-2 - about 80-90%
Tamiya Flat Yellow XF-3 - a drop or two

For this stage, I coated all the parts with Tamiya's Surface Primer first and then applied my mixture.

024_priming 01.jpeg 024_priming 02.jpeg 024_priming 03.jpeg 024_priming 04.jpeg

024_priming 05.jpeg 024_priming 06.jpeg 024_priming 07.jpeg

024_painting 01.jpg 024_painting 02.jpg 024_painting 03.jpg 024_painting 04.jpg

Next is the weathering......

PAINTING and WEATHERING Part II

I looked at different approaches to weathering and thought I try this technique. Basically, I used soft pastels and water. I first applied a dry dusting in certain areas of the model with black and brown/orange. And then went in and added subtle details with the same colors but watered down. After everything was done and approved to my liking, I coated all the parts with Tamiya's Flat Clear TS-80. Luckily, the clear didn't react to the pastels.

024_paints 05.jpeg 024_paints 04.jpeg

Note: The lighting is a bit off, but I color corrected the best I could.

024_weathering 01.jpeg 024_weathering 02.jpeg 024_weathering 03.jpeg 024_weathering 04.jpeg

024_weathering 05.jpeg 024_weathering 06.jpeg 024_weathering 07.jpeg 024_weathering 08.jpeg

024_weathering 09.jpeg 024_weathering 10.jpeg 024_weathering 11.jpeg 024_weathering 12.jpeg

024_weathering 13.jpeg 024_weathering 14.jpeg 024_weathering 15.jpeg 024_weathering 16.jpeg

024_weathering 17.jpeg

I'm doing a proper photo shoot of the model later today, so hopefully I'll have them uploaded tonight.

Killin' it Wayne. Your weathering looks very convincing. It's been great following your progress on this over the past year, very much appreciated all the updates you sent off board while I was away from the forums. You're a stop away from jumping off the crazy train and I've still got a little ways to go--that constant battle of making it more perfect than the original, or including all the minor asymmetries and variances between similar parts. It can drive a man mad!

Killin' it Wayne. Your weathering looks very convincing. It's been great following your progress on this over the past year, very much appreciated all the updates you sent off board while I was away from the forums. You're a stop away from jumping off the crazy train and I've still got a little ways to go--that constant battle of making it more perfect than the original, or including all the minor asymmetries and variances between similar parts. It can drive a man mad!

Thanks dragnink. All your input, over the year, has been most useful. Much appreciated. Luckily, I'm already a bit loopy, so I don't have far to go. LOL

I should have the final pics up soon.

- - - Updated - - -

That just looks awesome!!

Can't wait to see the end result...

Thanks Nostalgic. Should be soon.

Very nicely done man! What an update...this is going to kick some serious behind when all finished; I cannot wait!!!

THE FINAL MODEL

Okay Peoples, after nearly two years of laboring me arse off, here's the Little Beastie. I'm quite pleased how it turned out, despite some technical difficulties. Unfortunately, I won't be animating the model anytime soon. The Piston mechanism does work, but I need more time to work out the bugs. Perhaps, one day. All the joints are poseable, which I'm amazed they worked out the way they did.

All this, done on a crappy drill press, a few end mills and a lot of elbow grease. :confused

The model is 13" high, 16.5" long, 6" wide and weighs about 5lbs.

I really gain a deeper appreciation for Jon Berg, Phil Tippett and Tom St. Amand for getting these models off the ground. Geez, that wasn't bloody easy.

I like to thank everyone who commented and expressed their interest in the project. It's much appreciated. :)

I do have a few other projects on the go, but right now, I'm totally spent. :sleep For now..........

Cheers,
anamorphicWayne :D :cheers

at-at 01.jpg at-at 02.jpg at-at 03.jpg at-at 04.jpg

at-at 05.jpg at-at 06.jpg at-at 07.jpg at-at 08.jpg

at-at 09.jpg at-at 10.jpg at-at 11.jpg at-at 12.jpg

at-at 13.jpg at-at 14.jpg at-at 15.jpg at-at 16.jpg

at-at 17.jpg at-at 18.jpg at-at 19.jpg at-at 20.jpg

at-at 21.jpg at-at 22.jpg at-at 23.jpg at-at 24.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back