Saberforge? yes or no?

I bought one for my nephew's birthday gift (early July this year 2012) and my nephew was blown away.... My nephew expressed that the lightsaber really looks like a Luke Skywalker ROTJ version...I thought it was very pricey but the end result was a happy nephew!

But if your looking for reasonable price have you looked at the FX lightsabers? Priced very low and look good. They now come in "removable" blade form!

Last edited:
I recently bought an Epoch off ebay a few weeks ago.The saber works great,but the machining is VERY sharp and needs to be sanded down a bit to prevent serious injuries.

In my opinion,I've heard a lot of bad things about Saberforge's sabers,but I love some of his hilts.If you get the opportunity I would suggest just getting a hilt,but if you must,I'd go through Ebay.They have good insurance policies that protect buyers if a seller decides to flake out on you for whatever reason.

I purchased a Gladius and a Regal from SF several months ago. I can say that he's a reputable seller and he has a good eye for hilt design. However, I wouldn't recommend puchasing any of his high-priced sabers with the sound boards. If you stick with simple hilts, or hilts with lighting, and keep on top of him, you'll get your money's worth. Saberforge makes a lot of sabers, but doesn't really have the personnel in place for quality control or customer support. However, he's getting better.

I have bought from Saberforge a while back before, here is my experiences:

I bought 3 sabers from him directly and another on fx forum for leia. The construction is not very solid, but his designs are nice. Some of them came missing with parts though, though not major and you can fix them yourself.

I continued to deal directly with him through email and ordered another 2 sabers and soundboard he was offering at that moment.

The 2nd order never came, at the beginning he would still respond to my emails asking where the order is, and he would said he would chip in extra hollow saber to make up for the delay. Later, I dont get any response at all. Eventually I just gave up. It 500 down the drain.

I would think though with the Ebay buyers protecting it would be easier to get the money back, and most prob he has those he put on ebay ready to ship.

Ultrasabers or TCSS(building on yourself - its a fun and learning experience) would be the way to go imo.

My experience.... I ordered through Ebay for a saber and sound card. I emailed after about 3 weeks to see if it had shipped and heard nothing in reply. I gave it a week or so and tried again. Finally I gave up and started a Paypal claim. He didn't respond to any of paypals email and after the allotted time I got my cash back followed by an email saying Paypal couldn't refund me as he had no funds in his account???? Bit weird that.

A week or so later the saber arrived at my door wrapped in one sheet of bubble wrap not even taped. Worst international wrapping of a package I've ever seen. I'm still amazed it made it in one piece. The saber was just slidding around in the box. The build was rubbish [loose Led, holes drilled out of alignment etc] but it looked decent enough.

I emailed Saberforge saying I'd received a refund and to forward me funds to post it back to him [I wasn't footing the bill back to the USA], he never even replied to that email. I only emailed once as I'd had enough by then. His loss not mine.

So to this day I still have his lightsaber sitting in a box in the attic. I'll donate it to charity someday as I don't want the bad karma of not having paid for it.

More hassle than it was worth.

Last edited:
Saber Forge Rebel Princess

First let me start with a little backstory. I am Luke Skywalker from the Imperial Royal Arms forums. A few weeks ago one of our members, Saber Forge, held a contest. Post your best prop build and he would send the winner, free of charge, a whole bunch of his scratch and dent sabers and parts. This was amazing as the scratch and dent sabers looked great. A saber builders dream for sure. I entered my custom made leather belt and made mention of hoping to win the sabers for my Rebel Legion Kamino base table. After the contest was over and I didn't win, I was approached by Saber Forge. This is part of the pm I received.

Quote:
Hey Luke,

I know rebel legion does good things for the community. I just came out with an update on my princess leia saber, and I found one more older style prodigal son lurking in a box. If I build both those up with full electronics, I will donate them to your base.

What a generous offer to our RL base.

I know that Saber Forge has had some growing pains over the years. After receiving this saber I felt it was appropriate to give credit where credit is due.

Saber Forge's new saber-

REBEL PRINCESS

DSC04544.jpg

Shipping

I received this saber USPS and it came in the standard triangular USPS priority box we are all accustomed to receiving. It was well packaged and came with the instructions for its use. My only advice here would be to add a little newspaper for packing. With USPS it never hurts to have a little more packing. But I did get the saber in perfect condition so I have no complaints with shipping.

DSC04545.jpg

This saber came out of the box ready to duel. I pulled the kill key in the recharge port to hear the Neutrino soundboard boot up. This was my first experience with the Neutrino. I had to adjust the settings slightly to configure it to my dueling style. At first I got a couple of false clashes during spins. Once I had it configured the sound files played accurately. The neutrino is IMHO a mid level board that would be a well above using an MR FX soundboard. It has all of your swing, clash power up and down sounds you'd see on an MR board. However, the neutrino difference gives you a nice adjustable blade flicker for a more accurate blade and also has the ability to be configurable with the push of a button. Configurability is perfect since you can tailor the board to your specific tastes. I'm quite impressed with this sound board. For a $60 board you can't beat it.

Neutrino specs.

The Novasound Neutrino soundboard is an excellent optional soundboard offered by Saber Forge. This item listing for 60.00 is for the soundboard only, it does not include installation or any other parts.

The Neutrino plays 10 clash sounds, 10 swoosh sounds, ignition, deactivation, and of course an idle hum. In addition it features an adjustable blade flicker, going from a solid blade, through four different flicker speeds. The onboard voice menu also allows you to adjust the volume, brightness, and motion sensitivity.

The blade.

The blade brightness was on par with my sons red luxeon 3 but not as bright as my blue luxeon V. Saber Forge uses a thick walled white blade with no film. As I am used to the typical led blade with a wrap film inside for a uniform blade I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well this blade lit up.

DSC04550.jpg

The hilt.

What can I say. This hilt is just plain gorgeous. I have never seen a Saber Forge hilt in person so I had no idea what to expect. I've handled and owned custom machined blades from at least five well known sabersmiths. This hilt was right up there with the best of them. From the pommel to the main body and up to the emitter section this hilt is just gorgeous. There is plenty attention to detail and the finished product more than meets the expectations ESPECIALLY at his price point. IMO this saber is worth a lot more than he sells them for. A quality build for a full saber at near stunt saber prices.

DSC04546.jpg

Specs.

Brass covertec knob.
Machined blade plug.
Threaded pommel for access to speaker and recharge wiring.
Recessed recharge port on the exterior near the pommel.
Awesome machining job and design on the main body.
Unique control box near the emitter.
Illuminated anti vandal switch in the control box that is recessed to avoid accidental power off.

Here's a link to a recent eBay sales thread of the Rebel Princess:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBEL-PRINCESS-C....=item416c5b92f1

I don't yet see his Rebel Princess listed on his site yet but it is a new version:

https://www.saberforge.com/

I tried to be as neutral as possible and give this an honest review. I really can't give any bad scores. The only real complaints I have are things that are personal preference.

The Neutrino board has a three second delay for power off. I know that most people like the delay as it prevents inadvertent power off. I prefer no delay.

The emitter has six button head screws that are both aesthetic and functional blade retention screws. Three of the screws are for blade retention while the other three are aesthetic. I'm lazy and prefer one setscrew. This is a very easy fix and I've already spoken with Saber Forge about this and he "may" offer shorter screws for us lazy Jedi. LOL

Overall I would rate my experience a 10/10.

Communication was excellent.
The saber shipped quickly and was packaged adequately.
The saber arrived in working condition.
The hilt was machined perfectly.
And above all, Saber Forge donated this saber to the Rebel Legion. That alone tells me that Saber Forge is an honest guy that means well by his customers.

This saber is definitely worthy of a Rebel Princess.

Saber Forge, on behalf of the Rebel Legion Kamino base, let me thank you for your generosity in donating this fine saber. It will get a lot of use as we troop with it and proudly display it on our table. This saber will also bring lots of smiles from the kids as we use it for taking pictures with Star Wars' biggest little fans.

Thank you Saber Forge,

May the Force be with you.

Luke Skywalker
ImperialRoyalArms forum admin.
Kamin Ressik, Jedi, Kamino base.

Read more: Imperial Royal Arms - Three newly redesigned styles.

I have rebuilt a few of saberforge's sabers and I will say this his machining skills have improved. I feel that the finish on his hilts could use more work and the wiring is not up to my standards. I would buy a empty hilt and finish the saber yourself.

Last edited:
Luke!.....I mean, Kamin! Welcome to the RPF buddy! Glad you joined up. That is a sweet lightsaber. The link for the auction is a dead end though. Looking forard to seeing you around here!

It looks like the auction closed. The saber must have sold.

I haven't opened this saber yet to look at the wiring, but I've played with it heavily for a week and my 6 and 3 yr old boys gave it a beating. (I let them play with it on purpose). After a good amount of use it has ZERO issues.

I never owned an older saber forge saber but everyone has to start somewhere. After using this saber I would say he has arrived. I would say that the quality of the finished product is on par with my many MHS parts.

I'm not in business with SF so I have no reason to support him. I simply believe in giving him an honest shake. I had a great experience and I thought it was only fair to share it. He also has a great eBay record.

I just bought one of his Jedi Luke V1 sabers with the soundboard and it can in just over a week. No problems and it is an amazing piece if work. Very durable and feels well built in hand. The sandwich design is killer. It really is everything I was hoping for. Ordered it the first week if December and got it soon after. It was under the tree this year. Bought through eBay. If buy from him again if I had the chance and wanted something he was offering. Great guy. Great communication. No problems at all.
esyjyhav.jpg
apa6ugys.jpg
dazuma7u.jpg
y5a4y7yq.jpg

A few pics of my son and daughter fighting over it.

Hi i would like to buy a saber off saberforge but i am unsure if its a good company. Are there any uk buyers how could let me know how there order went

I ordered one this time last year, and another yesterday. I love the quality of it, and have never had any problems. I am located in the UK and it got here in one piece. It did take around 6 weeks, but it always takes time getting it over here.

I would recommend them!

Well, I had great experiences with Phillip's sabers, but those were already made and ready to go out the door ones. I ordered a hollow hilt Gladius about 7 weeks ago which seems like a bit of an excessive wait time. But I was told all sabers, fully loaded with electronics or hollow have the same wait time.

Inquired about my hilt yesterday night and had a reply when I got home from work today that the hilt will be shipped out Monday, woohoo!

The build time seems a bit long, which is understandable if he's a busy guy though. I just didn't know the turnaround time at the time when I ordered one.

Oh well! The hilt is done and will be on it's way, so I'm happy. :thumbsup

Last edited:
IF you get the saber, the build quality is actually good. However, I will never ever ever buy from him again. He was, at the time, the only one selling tonfa style sabers for my Maris Brood costume. I ordered a basic set, as hers aren't fancy. There was an issue with the soundboard, so I said I would wait a bit for the cheaper, newer ones to come in. After that, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get in touch with him. Delay after delay, until it was too late to get a refund through my credit card company. I had given up, sourced a set from elsewhere, and then out of the blue... they show up, all fancy and customised to 'make up' for the 6 month delay. This was after I had repeatedly emailed him trying to cancel the order.

Now.. I do like them.. and I use them often, but he's an awful businessman and I wouldn't recommend ever sending him any money.

That sucks D: well There is this Australian seller on ebay called aus_custom_sabers
here
eBay My World - aus_custom_sabers

Im not sure if he is any good but at least the postage should be less for me.:)

Ok Here I am, because I had very good experience with aus custom sabers and with Ultra sabers. From the first ones I bought a Yoda MR fx, converted by them into combat. I also bought from them a Count Dooko display base.
The saber was well converted and the illuminator is quite good. I used a bit, I have it till X-mas and everything well. It's an easy conversion but actually the guys have good comunication and the shiipment went through (I'm in Italy). Not a great packaging, but survived the journey!!

Ultra sabers, I have two. Very happy with comunications, the package was very well preserved by plenty of internal big bubble filling. It's a Rock solid built and very heavy and durable. I have an Aeon LE V3 with no sound and green blade, I have an Emerald driven Guardian with sound and fully customizabe flash on clash and blade colour. This one looks fantastic, it's really heavy, but I think is a bit too big to be screen accurate, being the raplica of Obi Wan Kenobi from the prequel trilogy.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back