Disney/Marvel removing itself from Netflix : future of Netflix Original’s Marvel ?

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just read that apparently Disney want to launch its own streaming platform, and therefore is pulling out all its properties from Netflix, including Marvel. It didn’t specify the fate of The Defenders and their respective series though, anyone has some info on that ? Despite them not being all of equal quality, they’re the best comic book series on TV IMO !
And I’m not taking another subscription for yet another service. Have already too many of those...

Re: Disney/Marvel removing itself from Netflix : future of Netflix Original’s Marvel

I think that Disney getting their own streaming service is a bad idea. I mean, how many people are willing to buy into that many slices of pie. Streaming has fractured series viewing in a way to where it's no longer the cost efficient service it used to be. Now you have to subscribe to 10 different streaming services just to equal one cable or dish service. It's just not practical when practicality was the whole draw in the first place

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Disney/Marvel removing itself from Netflix : future of Netflix Original’s Marvel

There's a critical mass that the streaming market will support. Too many of those, and you'll end up with people just going back to cable due to the fracturing.

What I think will help the streaming services, though, is if they offer themselves like a la carte cable channels to other service providers. Amazon already does this. You can get several of the premium channels (e.g., Showtime, Cinemax, Starz) for $9.99/month with a Prime subscription, and HBO for $15/month. But it's all still run through your Amazon Prime account, so you still only need one front end.

Ultimately, I think that's the only way for platforms like Amazon and Netflix to really survive if everyone starts gating their content behind additional costs. Plus, it's stupid to invest in a true standalone streaming service, unless you're planning on monetizing a ton of other stuff within the service itself (e.g., selling people things beyond just the subscription). I love Disney's Marvel shows, and the Star Wars stuff, but I don't know that I'd subscribe to a Disney channel just for those.

I guess we'll see how this all plays out.

Meh...when HBO pulled all their stuff that was the end of watching game of thrones for me.

guess it would be the same- netflix already has more content than I have time to watch anyway.

as for disney I already have digital movies of the ones I want...I am not going to pay a subscription service to cover the cost for the 10 billion sequels they make of every kids movie.

did you know there are 14....count it 14 land before time movies.?!?!?! WHY

If Disney includes all of their old cartoons from the 1930s to the present I might consider subscribing. Finding the classic Disney shorts these days is a pain.

Do you have a link?

edit: ah I see this was going around a month ago.

Sucks but I'll just buy Star Wars blu rays and avoid watching Marvel small screen stuff until it is out on normal cable I guess.

I just read that apparently Disney want to launch its own streaming platform, and therefore is pulling out all its properties from Netflix, including Marvel. It didn’t specify the fate of The Defenders and their respective series though, anyone has some info on that ? Despite them not being all of equal quality, they’re the best comic book series on TV IMO !
And I’m not taking another subscription for yet another service. Have already too many of those...

They said they're pulling marvel and star wars.

That said, i'm not sure they can pull The Defenders and the individual shows can they? I thought they were financed by Netflix. If they're self-published by Marvel, they be toast.

As i've said before. I'm not a fan of splintering it up. There's not a single person out there who wants to fork out $10/month to 20 different vendors to cover their bases.

I thought the concept of Hulu was it was jointly owned by multiple vendors who put their stuff there so there was a single entity, and that the pool would draw more subscribers than if they all went solo.

What does this mean for future Marvel/Netflix series? Will there be no more new ones? Will the new ones only be on the Disney feed?

If all the Marvel shows jump from Netflix to streaming Disney, I have a feeling I'll stop watching.

I could barely stand watching the cable Disney Channel. Had it only to see their Tron series and then it was canceled.
Not that Disney needs my money but I'm not going to sign up for a special service especially after Netflix has put so much work into the Marvel series.

And, please, I hate to think of a Disney-fied Punisher.

MGM is going to have their own service too, with ten minute episodes of a new Stargate series. I can't tell if it is $20 per month or year.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Just long enough for the recap, opening credits, and closing credits.
It worked pretty well for Con Man.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Oh well, didn't know this was old news already ! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks that the fragmentation of streaming services is bad for business.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back