Rey's Gun TFA

Just finished my daughters 3d printed 3/4 sized NN-14 (see pic for comparison). This was my first real attempt of airbrushing and weather anything. Couldn't of done it without Punished Props (Bill Doran) Rey Blaster videos and articles as well as the person who posted the 3D files on Thingiverse. Still need to work on my airbrushing and weathering technique.

Not sure if I'll get to the full sized version anytime soon as I need to finish 3/4 sized Rey staff and 3/4 size DL-44 for my kids before Halloween lol.

IMG_4352 (1).jpgIMG_4356.jpgIMG_4350.jpgIMG_4349.jpgIMG_4347.jpg

Hey Gang, has there been a DEFINITIVE length of this gun that is agreed upon? I printed out the Greggo files and it seems pretty small ... now, I know it was in the hands of a young girl, so maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

I'm printing a second one at about 105% scale to have it feel more full-size to me.

Just curious if a definitive measurement has been found.

Last edited:
Looking nice. The height of a real wood grip at its highest point is 16.5mm if that helps.
View attachment 585839

Oh man thank you for posting this, I've been searching all day for the exact dimensions for the Mauser grips, and found nothing. I'm going to build mine out of 1mm-2mm sheet styrene, and carve the grips myself. With no consensus on the overall length, after doing a few paper mock-ups I've settled on an 11" or 11-1/4" length gun to be what I'll aim for.

In my very scientific study, at 6'2" I figured I'm roughly the size of HF, and the smaller sizes look noticeably undersize, and the 13"+ ones are cartoonish. Around 11" is about the smallest overall length/size where I can get my finger onto the trigger (and I'm not exactly ham fisted), and then giving it to a Rey sized girl, they could comfortably get their finger on the trigger.

With the dimension on that grip above at y=43.5mm, my 11-1/4" mockups grip is 45mm, with a match at y coming from an 11" long gun. I've been using claymans post for the mockups at differnt scales.

Don't mean to be posting so often, but I've been working all day to finish up my blueprints and I'm excited to share. The major difference between this and my first version is that I scaled everything up, now working on the assumption that the broomhandle grip is roughly 3 inches long (or 77mm). If this turns out not to be true...well then I guess there'll be a 3rd version of this for me to work on.

View attachment 569915

Anyone know what the safety/hammer could be? I looked around a bit at actual safeties and vintage flashlight switches but with no luck. Could be a custom machined part, but what's the fun in accepting that?

Hopefully not bringing this thread back from the dead too much. I'm just getting into building my own. I found this thread super useful so far.

Has anyone tried Rub-N-Buff to get the metallic texture? Bill's airbrush aluminum looks great, but I feel like the metallic particles in Rub-N-Buff might look similar to a cold cast. Almost a rub on cold cast method. Maybe after a nice smooth layer of black primer? Thoughts?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back