Doctor Who opinions

I thought it was more reminiscent of the Tennant/Smith regeneration and the director mentioned something along those lines although I'm not sure which regeneration she was specifically talking about.
Could be - they're all blending in for me at the moment - I think Smith's Doctor channeled the regeneration energy and the "violence" it creates to off some Daleks.

I remember when a regeneration wasn't nearly as violent, I wouldn't mind if they found a new schtick when the time comes for the next one.

I keep reading (ok, 2 places) that after seeing her, people are thrilled with her doctor...

she had 1 word and got sucked out the door.

I never had a problem with the choice, but i can't say anything at this point as there really isn't anything to have an opinion on yet.

Last edited:
I keep reading (ok, 2 places) that after seeing her, people are thrilled with her doctor...

she had 1 word and got sucked out the door.

I never had a problem with the choice, but i can't say anything at this point as there really isn't anything to have an opinion on yet.
I'm still not terribly keen on the idea and I'd like to think that I'm fairly open minded...

Maybe the Regens increase in violence the further down the line you are. I mean the energy required to alter someone Who is hundred of years old I would think would be considerable.especially since he's in a new regen cycle which is unprecedented.

I know they wouldn't go this route, but after seeing Jodie basically 'thrown out' of the TARDIS, I remembered the episode of The Doctor's Wife, & immediately wondered how interesting it'd be to see the 'Old Girl' reject the Doctor's new regeneration.

I say they won't do that, simply because that would imply that she preferred the Doctor as a male, & that'd make the TARDIS all 'homophobic & wrong'.

(Sorry, but I'm typing this in my phone & don't have access to an eye rolling emoji, which would be inserted here)

I think that would be an interesting new story-the new Doctor at odds with the longest running 'companion'.

I know they wouldn't go this route, but after seeing Jodie basically 'thrown out' of the TARDIS, I remembered the episode of The Doctor's Wife, & immediately wondered how interesting it'd be to see the 'Old Girl' reject the Doctor's new regeneration.

I say they won't do that, simply because that would imply that she preferred the Doctor as a male, & that'd make the TARDIS all 'homophobic & wrong'.

(Sorry, but I'm typing this in my phone & don't have access to an eye rolling emoji, which would be inserted here)

I think that would be an interesting new story-the new Doctor at odds with the longest running 'companion'.
That would be a great idea - having the Tardis not recognize the Doctor because of the sex change. Nothing "homophobic" about it, though... I guess it could be deemed sexist, but that's a stretch (some, obviously might play that card - but, that might be stretch).

How many times has the doctor wrecked the tardis because he thought regeneration during flight was a good idea ?
This is at least twice .

Maybe the Regens increase in violence the further down the line you are. I mean the energy required to alter someone Who is hundred of years old I would think would be considerable.especially since he's in a new regen cycle which is unprecedented.

When tennant left, they did a big destruction thing with his regen because the powers that be (can't recall if it was the showrunner or EP) said that the stronger the doctor the more explosive the regen. Made sense at the time, but ever since they seemed to think that they have to always be bigger and more explosive it seems (gotta outdo the last one).

Now, in this case, i can see doing it like that to kind of destroy the existing set since a whole new crew is taking over and i'd imagine they're changing up the inside as well (they've already shown they're changing the outside.)

How many times has the doctor wrecked the tardis because he thought regeneration during flight was a good idea ?
This is at least twice .
Just one of the gimmicks I hope Moffat takes with him.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Smith getting a new cycle was destructive— but the actual regeneration to Capaldi was one of the quickest, least destructive changes ever.

While it is too soon to judge, I loved the Smile on the Doctor’s face when she realized what had happened.

I don't watch Dr Who but my wife loves it.

Today she got pretty angry angry when I asked her: "Where did Dr Who go to medical school?"
She told me he didn't.
I said "Well then what's his PhD in?"
She told me he doesn't have one.
I said "Well then why is he a doctor? Is doctor his first name?"

She got "that look," flipped me off and walked away.

I thought it was hilarious, but when I brought it up this evening she was still less than impressed.

Really, they're following the same path that superhero comics follow. The heroes keep getting stronger and stronger, fighting stronger and stronger villains until it's just absurd to continue. Then they reset and reboot and do it all over again. Repeat ad nauseum. It is bad writing, but look at who has been in charge of Doctor Who since the reboot? Bad writers.

I enjoyed the Christmas special. I know it's becoming very popular on the rpf to hate on this show, but I think this Christmas special was everything it needed to be to close out the Capaldi run. I really enjoyed seeing David Bradley as the first doctor too.

My favorite part of the special was Mark Gatiss though. I thought it was really cool to have him in there, and in a very interesting role.

Looking forward to seeing what a female doctor who will be like.

OK, everybody else can go back to saying how the show sucks now. ;)

Really, they're following the same path that superhero comics follow. The heroes keep getting stronger and stronger, fighting stronger and stronger villains until it's just absurd to continue. Then they reset and reboot and do it all over again. Repeat ad nauseum. It is bad writing, but look at who has been in charge of Doctor Who since the reboot? Bad writers.

I tend to disagree with this comment; it's more like good writers who made poor showrunners.

You forget that Moffett wrote some of the best episodes of nuWho... Blink, Silence in the Library, The Empty Child, etc. Even as a show runner he had some memerable episodes - The Eleventh Hour, The Husbands of River Song - but his overall story arches were weak and all over the place and he kept dipping into the same wells over and over again.

I tend to disagree with this comment; it's more like good writers who made poor showrunners.

You forget that Moffett wrote some of the best episodes of nuWho... Blink, Silence in the Library, The Empty Child, etc. Even as a show runner he had some memerable episodes - The Eleventh Hour, The Husbands of River Song - but his overall story arches were weak and all over the place and he kept dipping into the same wells over and over again.

Yes, the story arches that he wrote. He may not have written as many individual episodes but he sure wrote the overall story line and commissioned the writers to go along with it. So we've now had two crap show runners on Doctor Who. Is Chibnall going to be any better? I guess we can only wait and see. Maybe the secret is to have show runners regenerate as often as the Doctors do.

Finally caught up on Who.
This is the first Christmas special I've enjoyed since The Husbands of River Song, and that was the first one I'd liked for quite a while before THAT.

I really only have geeky prop commentary about Hartnell's Tardis.

So strange to leave off the St. Johns Ambulance emblem since Hartnell's was the only one to HAVE it until the latest version.
Likewise, it should have white trim around the windows. It disappeared after Mind Robber (when the entire thing was painted white, then all-blue again including trim).

The thing about the windows: originally the lower corner panes were just a different material than the rest, for whatever reason. Different texture and opacity. That's why they seemed lighter. The newest prop, which I otherwise love, really overdoes that look by painting them black and white. No. The article doesn't seem to realize that Hartnell prop in the special gets it right.

I loved the Hartnell Tardis interior set recreation. The console should be a very light, pale green, though.

Loved the retro Cybermen. Although they should not have evolved into the modern show's version, as they have a completely different creation story and from a parallel universe. And besides, I loathe the stomping.

I read that they actually shot "new" Tenth Planet footage that ultimately went unused. I hope that gets released as a bonus feature.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they never do a third Doctor reunion with Sean Pertwee, there is something seriously wrong with the universe.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back