Star Wars Rogue One new ships!

I'm all for new stuff, in the right context. If the new TIEs are on some other planet, I guess that's OK. If they're flying around defending the Death Star, that's completely wrong. Likewise, Death Troopers, or whatever we're calling them, shouldn't be on the Death Star but I'm OK with them elsewhere in the SW universe. This movie should really be a nearly 100% throwback to the original 1977 set of ships and costumes, IMO.

Can't agree with you on this point. I want Star Wars to always expand and show up what's unseen around the corner or off the edges of the map. Why can't Death Troopers be on the Death Star? It was a big place. Just because we didn't see them in ANH doesn't mean they weren't there or didn't exist. Why can't TIE Strikers (not that I love the design) be zipping around the construction zone? I get what you're saying, but I think you're putting an unnecessary artificial limit on imagination. On the larger point (not directed at you in particular), it's always bothered me when fans start placing limits on what is and is not Star Wars -- especially when they say, "Well, this is what we've seen before so that's what we should see again." I remember when TESB first came out (yeah, I'm that old) and my buddy complained endlessly about the new sliding door in the Millennium Falcon cockpit. "That's wrong! It wasn't there before!" It drove him crazy! I think a lot of Star Wars fans are like that. That's why the "practical effects" and "we're doing this the old way" PR campaign for TFA was so appealing to some. Despite the saga's message that change is inevitable and resisting change only leads to frustration and anger, fans still resist change. They want what's familiar. I guess I'm the opposite. I want every Star Wars story, regardless of when or where it's set, to take me someplace new and show me things I haven't seen before.

I'm all for change, but it should make sense in-universe. The Death Star is a big place, yes, but it seems to be a standardized, militarily conformist place, almost to a fault. When we saw scenes of sentry ships patrolling over the Death Star in 1977, they were all TIEs. When we saw troopers, they were all pretty much the same. Yes, TESB had new troopers, new TIEs, and even a sliding door in the Falcon - but time had passed. There was some plausible reason for the change. If it suddenly shows up that half the troopers we see on the DS in R1 are black and tan, and not white, I'd like to have an explanation that makes sense. I'm not sure I could imagine one right now. Maybe that's my shortcoming? New just for new's sake is not really creative, it's disruptive. I don't think all limits are bad. This is a period piece, now. It's like throwing a zoot suit into a civil war movie.

In the final analysis, Lucasfilm can do what they want. It will hold more gravitas with this viewer if they keep things making sense though.

I agree. I don't want to hear "Well these ships are from the OTHER side of the Death Star that you didn't see in ANH!" I 'm hoping that it's like a special unit hunting down Rebels. Sort of like how they introduced new TIEs for the TIE Fighter game years ago. They were experimental versions just going into production or testing in the Outer Rim. Just give us something that makes sense.

High rez image of the TIE Striker:

14712691_1211352228940012_6504790575131355973_o.jpg

Nice image. It looks as though moving wings is the order of the day for Rogue One. I like a sausage now and then. :)

I'm all for change, but it should make sense in-universe. The Death Star is a big place, yes, but it seems to be a standardized, militarily conformist place, almost to a fault. When we saw scenes of sentry ships patrolling over the Death Star in 1977, they were all TIEs. When we saw troopers, they were all pretty much the same. Yes, TESB had new troopers, new TIEs, and even a sliding door in the Falcon - but time had passed. There was some plausible reason for the change. If it suddenly shows up that half the troopers we see on the DS in R1 are black and tan, and not white, I'd like to have an explanation that makes sense. I'm not sure I could imagine one right now. Maybe that's my shortcoming? New just for new's sake is not really creative, it's disruptive. I don't think all limits are bad. This is a period piece, now. It's like throwing a zoot suit into a civil war movie.

In the final analysis, Lucasfilm can do what they want. It will hold more gravitas with this viewer if they keep things making sense though.
Just wait for the Special Special Editions of the original Trilogy coming out on BluRay next Summer with digitally added ships and Troopers to retro the new stuff in...

Oh yeah, that's the ticket! Thanks!
The wings look like they swing through ~90 degrees, which would make pretty good landing "gear". If this is a troop landing craft (as is the U-Wing, apparently), then it looks fine for the job if a bit low on capacity (looks like about 8-10 troops.) Just wondering how they'd disembark - side or bottom.

Ah, there I go again...

R/ Robert

Last edited:
I'm guessing it is more like a tie bomber of sorts, but designed for more atmospheric patrol. The wings seem to be suggest a less obstructed view from the cockpit of what is below

Oh yeah, that's the ticket! Thanks!
The wings look like they swing through ~90 degrees, which would make pretty good landing "gear"...
R/ Robert

Yeah, that swing looks pretty "fixed axis", doesn't it. I was REALLY hoping for some independent wing "tipping" as well, acting as ailerons for atmospheric flight. Might be a lot of extra CGI work connecting the extra wing motion to a specific flight path, but it would be so cool if done right.

Yeah, that swing looks pretty "fixed axis", doesn't it. I was REALLY hoping for some independent wing "tipping" as well, acting as ailerons for atmospheric flight. Might be a lot of extra CGI work connecting the extra wing motion to a specific flight path, but it would be so cool if done right.
That would have been great- like how the Snowspeeders kept flipping their aft panels as they flew around.
I do like how they did keep with the old school rectangular grid on the panels instead of the newer diamond plate panels used in the Interceptor/X-i and Bomber.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back