Revell U-Wing from Rogue One

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Not my #1 Star Wars ship, but I do like it a lot. Was gonna get the Bandai one, but it's so small... anyway, I tried to get it to look as good as I could, given the givens. I got the rear engine fins & more accurate rear exhaust nozzles from Shapeways made specifically for this kit, and added a ring onto the top of the engine made from the discarded kit nozzles, scraped the blue markings based on photos, gave it a wash to bring out the panel lines & generally dirty it up, assembled it, then dirtied it up a bit more. Quick, fun little build. I love the film (and Andor as well), so this made me pretty happy.
20230529_165528.jpg
20230530_113804.jpg
20230530_143833.jpg
20230530_143816.jpg
20230530_143753.png

Excellent work!

I have the kit and it is very toy like, but seeing it here painted up that like with the upgrades it really looks quite good

I did pick up the same upgrades. I should stop stalling and get around to painting it.

You provided some good motivation to get moving

Excellent work!

I have the kit and it is very toy like, but seeing it here painted up that like with the upgrades it really looks quite good

I did pick up the same upgrades. I should stop stalling and get around to painting it.

You provided some good motivation to get moving
Full disclosure here, I did not putty up & sand the bottom (though I did erase the writing with sanding) because I actually like that it lights up & makes pew pew noises. But I did camouflage the underside slots with paint streaking. Also in my research I see that this kit is missing some panel lines, mainly on the nacelles, but I'm so sick of scribing panel lines (I've done 13 Vipers that mostly all required massive scribing) that I just implied them with the paint job streaking. Other than the added ring I made & the Shapeways parts, there was no gluing. It really snaps together solidly!
20230530_170018.jpg
20230530_200721 (1).jpg

Last touches- the wings have an indentation along the sides, so I painted the edges dark & unevenly, then ran an exacto blade along the outer edges to make the edge stand out. It makes for a convincing effect I think... plus a panel line over the cockpit. And few more lines on the nacelles. That's it.
20230606_102812.jpg

Looking great! I think one area I would personal modify on mine (one day) is making the cockpit side pillars a bit thinner. Per reference they do appear a bit thinner than this model and i think that would really sell the scale. That would be a pain to fix but I would prolly attempt to do it somehow lol

Model:
20230606_102812_1.jpg

Reference:
maxresdefault_1.jpgU-Wing-1_1.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back