Raiders hat by John Penman, the culmination of 25 years of hats.

lostinperiphery

It started with a leather “Australian style” hat I wore as a kid pretending to be Indiana Jones. I didn’t know better, I was 10.

Still as youngster, I later got a generic crushable felt fedora (I was on the right track, but still young, naive, and uninformed)

Fast forward another decade, and I acquired an officially licensed fur Indy hat. It was my first exposure to fur felt hats, and sparked an interest finer felt which evolved into a small collection of wonderful vintage fedoras. But I later came to realize how the shape of that officially licensed hat was all wrong...

Years later, I replaced it with an Akubra Federation IV. It was lovely, and it had that nice blocky crown that I was able to give a proper Indy crease. It was exquisite by most standards, but having become spoiled by vintage felt, i found that it still ranked near the bottom of my hat collection in terms of felt quality. As a hat I wore frequently, I found myself wishing it could be more.

Which brings me to this one, a 100% beaver Raiders hat from John Penman. I can’t imagine a more perfect Indy hat. The felt is wonderful; about as close to quality vintage felt as I can expect to find in a modern hat. Light in stiffener, so the felt is wonderfully soft and flexible, so the brim really takes on a life and character of its own, as opposed to being “molded” in shape like most modern hats. I couldn’t be happier [emoji4]

The only “predecessor” hat I still have is the Akubra, and I am considering distressing it in the true spirit of an adventure hat. The Penman will be an everyday wearing hat, so I want to keep it looking half decent :p

71702f53cebc8800f06ee236369a7ecb.jpg

1942f651412c6ef4b04ab080a775c42d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice John Penman website. It goes over the different looks of the hats over the various movies.

http://www.penmanhats.com/indy-s-closet.html

He does. I was concerned that having this hat shaped with the Raiders “turn”, it would feel as if the hat were on crooked. When I experimented with an offset center dent on the Akubra, this was the case. However, the Penman felt is so soft and malleable, this is not the case whatsoever. I’m very glad he talked me into doing the true Raiders bash with the Turn, rather than a symmetrical crease with a tight front pinch. It wouldn’t have been the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John makes some great hats...have one myself! I still drool over his pics any time he cranks out a new Raiders.

Sean

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back