Solo: A Star Wars Story

Well, we know the character is perhaps TRYING to be cocky and cool...but the fact that he (maybe) isn't pulling off could have less to do with the actor not being capable, than the *character* trying way too hard to be something, that ultimately develops naturally over time.

So in that sense, AE would be playing the part perfectly, even by your definition, right? Theoretically, anyway.

And besides, it's not like Han was cocky and cool in ROTJ. What if "cocky and cool" was always a facade?

Well, that is a crazy thought, Dano--if we are to go off the trailer (which is all we've got). Because it certainly appears from his lines, that they've written his character to be cocky and cool.

"I've been running scams on the streets since I was ten."
"I was kicked out of the flight academy, for having a mind of my own."
"I'm going to be a pilot. The best in the galaxy."
"That's yes."
"What's that?"
"Thought we were in trouble there for a second, but it's fine. We're fine."

So no, the character *is* a cocky and cool badass in this script.

The problem is, the actor can't pull it off. And that is why for the first time ever, I daresay, a trailer for a Star Wars movie was booed by a theater audience.

The Wook

Well, we know the character is perhaps TRYING to be cocky and cool...but the fact that he (maybe) isn't pulling off could have less to do with the actor not being capable, than the *character* trying way too hard to be something, that ultimately develops naturally over time.

So in that sense, AE would be playing the part perfectly, even by your definition, right? Theoretically, anyway.

And besides, it's not like Han was cocky and cool in ROTJ. What if "cocky and cool" was always a facade?
I always assumed that he was a bit of a facade.

In fact, I always assumed that his stories we're half myth. I thought the Kessel run was just something he told an old hermit and a farm boy.

Which is why it seems creatively bankrupt to show us how it literally went down. If they didn't, they'd have to think up something original.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Which is why it seems creatively bankrupt to show us how it literally went down. If they didn't, they'd have to think up something original...

For sure, I don't think too many of us are denying that it's a story that didn't need to be told. That said, here it comes. But it's like everyone's frustrations are being funneled into AE for "not being (their) Han". I get that, I truly do...but - especially at this early stage, where we don't even know what we're talking about with the film, yet - it would be like blaming Adam Driver for the two-dimensional garbage we got with Ben in TLJ. I truly don't get the hate, especially at this stage.

So in that sense, AE would be playing the part perfectly, even by your definition.

Yeah, 'cause that's just what we want...a movie about a 20-something Han Solo who's a dork but repeatedly makes risible attempts at coolness and swagger.

No thanks.

The Wook

ps~I'm ignoring your ROTJ Han comment, brotha, because that was *not* Han Solo.

You should know better by now than to bring logic and rational thought into one of these discussions. :)

My comment was perfectly logical and rational. I was talking about the actor though, not the character. They have clearly tried to write a character with some swagger and coolness. I do not feel the actor is pulling it off well.

I'm rooting for this movie. I want to love it.

But we'll see what we see.

I heard last night from someone within LFL that this movie is going to be fun.

I remain hopeful, with a wee bit of trepidation.

I definitely LIKE what I'm seeing...

And regardless of how this guy doesn't quite nail down the sound of Ford's voice, you can't say he doesn't succeed in capturing the Solo Swagger in some of those shots (I'm thinking specifically the 53 second mark...)

...just wanted to say one Nice thing before too many folks here started throwing wood on the campfire of Hate ;)

by the way, regardless of what might happen with acting, story, etc ...
can we at least get a few people here to admit that this film actually LOOKS pretty gorgeous? :thumbsup

Ok, I'm actually a bit excited for this now. Visually, it looks awesome. I can't wait to see my boy Chewie wreck some fools in this. Glover as Lando is perfect.

Still not 100% sold on this new Han, but at this point, whatever. He does have the swagger, although the voice is weird. Particularly when he says "I heard a story about you and was wondering if was true." Does anyone else think he says "true" really weirdly???

Anyway, I guess I'm most excited to learn more about this strange part of the Star Wars universe.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back