Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

This model is overwhelming.

Next to the Bandai x wing
20171102_220357.jpg

And then a special modification I've prepared for the model
20171102_214807.jpg
20171102_215107.jpg

I'm going to need one of these Joe. Looks perfect. What are your plans for the engines? Are you going with a studio model translucent insert?

I'll let you know when I make it available on shapeways... I'm still finishing up some of the graphics that go in it.

As for the engine, I may try to achieve something similar to the studio model and see which I like better. I imagine a clear strip of plastic dulled down (either by sanding or matte varnishes, or some other method) could achieve the look. But as of now, I am not crazy about the engine grill that Bandai has provided.

I'll let you know when I make it available on shapeways... I'm still finishing up some of the graphics that go in it.

As for the engine, I may try to achieve something similar to the studio model and see which I like better. I imagine a clear strip of plastic dulled down (either by sanding or matte varnishes, or some other method) could achieve the look. But as of now, I am not crazy about the engine grill that Bandai has provided.

Can't wait, Joe. That panel graphic you made for the top of the cockpit is spot on.

I have the engine grill on my FM MF, so I'm definitely going with the studio model engine light on this kit. The challenge will be getting even light distribution and getting it bright enough.

I'm still surprised how much bigger the Bandai Falcon is than the Fine Molds, considering several of the FM fighters are bigger than the Bandai in the same scale.

It's the same in 1:144 -- the FM is significantly smaller than the Bandai in that scale too. They were probably working off of different canonical dimensions provided by Lucasfilm - they've changed over the years.

Looks like Amazon Ordered 900 of these according to my box that just arrived. The BOL sticker from Bandai Craters is still on my box.

Attachments

• IMG_20171103_101438136[1].jpg
    IMG_20171103_101438136[1].jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 181

Beautiful work! You're making me want to go this route now.
View attachment 770898

Forgive me, and I don't mean to detract from the fine work in replicating the filming miniature here, but why would you want an inaccurate cockpit compared to the movie set? When I build my ship models, I'm aiming to represent THE SHIP, not a VFX filming miniature of the ship. I mean, people are of course free to do with their models as they like, and whatever makes them happy, but unless you're building a diorama of an ILM filming stage, I don't understand why you'd want to replicate an inaccruate section of the filming miniature.

Forgive me, and I don't mean to detract from the fine work in replicating the filming miniature here, but why would you want an inaccurate cockpit compared to the movie set? When I build my ship models, I'm aiming to represent THE SHIP, not a VFX filming miniature of the ship. I mean, people are of course free to do with their models as they like, and whatever makes them happy, but unless you're building a diorama of an ILM filming stage, I don't understand why you'd want to replicate an inaccruate section of the filming miniature.

Speaking for myself, most of the time I build the ship. With the Falcon, there are multiple miniatures ILM used as well as matte paintings, three full-sized sets, and several digital assets created for the SEs and now the ST. None of these representations of the Falcon match each other. When I built my FM 1/72, I made it a hybrid of the 5-footer and the 3-footer using the TFA engine grill design. So, I already have a version of "the ship" that I'm happy with. So for the Bandai, however, since it's sooooo close to the 5-footer shooting model, I essentially want a smaller version of what ILM shot, inaccuracies and all. I want a kit that looks like the picture on the original MPC box -- the kit I never got when I was 12. So, yes, in this case I want my Bandai to look more like the VFX miniature than the "real" thing. My 12-year-old self would approve. :cheers
MPC 1-1925 MelFalc.JPG

You bring up a great question and debate. Some feel that this version would be more accurate to the 5ft model because they want an exact match to the filming miniature. Others, and probably the majority want the set cockpit. So you're right. It's all about preference. Do you want accurized falcon based on all the movie components or replica of the filming miniature? When I saw the 5ft Falcon in person, I thought I want this in my living room. It's the original, so I'm considering using Joe's cockpit interior if he's so gracious to share so I can have a piece of that falcon in my living room.

Your question is fair, here are some more questions, Answer these:

What version (filming miniature, life-size filming set, which film) is real?

Is this a replica of a model? Is it a scale down of the filming set?

Is it just for fun?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you are replicating the movie set from Star Wars, then you are only going to build half the model and cut the other half off?

I've actually toyed with this idea! I've also thought it would be fun to make a diorama of this 'behind the scenes' scene using the Bandai 1/350 Falcon as the "prop" being filmed. The only thing holding me back is the amount of putty needed to make realistic looking bell bottoms. :lol
Falcon-bts-model.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back