Rogue Troopers

I get that some will like the sharpness, and I wouldn't have minded it if they had left the eyes alone. The eyes (not the lenses themselves) look overworked and too flat, and the organic sculpted quality is lost. It feels too sanitized, and feels too much like cosplayers on a screen as opposed to actors wearing ANH armor, and my connection to 1977 and to ANH is diluted as a result. Other than that, I think the film has a lot of great things going for it! :)

I see it right the other direction - this looks like big money suits for actors in a todays movie, and the old trash looks like made by kids in a garage for halloween. What you call "organic sculpted quality" i call "bad craftmanship" or "way to much hurried to be good".

RE: The Vents. Finally, someone else got the same idea as me.

IMG_2456.jpg IMG_2465.jpg

RE: The Vents. Finally, someone else got the same idea as me.

View attachment 641231 View attachment 641232

You're a man ahead of your time, Wayne, or because this was "before" ANH, you're behind your time. LOL.

I know, there are those who like to have props that are exactly like the screen used items, with all of their dings, dents, faults and asymmetrical looks, but there are those who like to go beyond that and bring to life what the actual item would look like in the "real world" if it was true. Sometimes you take "artistic license" and do what you feel, but lets face it, movie prop makers back then didn't have the time to make all of the details and sharp edges on something that would only been on screen for a few seconds or minutes and really wouldn't be that scrutinized. Who knew, back in 1977, that there would be countless people who could pick out minute details on props and costumes.
I think that this "new" (or older helmet, since we are going back in time before ANH) is what it is supposed to look like and what was envisioned in the mind of George Lucas (and his many designers) a long time ago....

TazMan2000

You're a man ahead of your time, Wayne, or because this was "before" ANH, you're behind your time. LOL.

I know, there are those who like to have props that are exactly like the screen used items, with all of their dings, dents, faults and asymmetrical looks, but there are those who like to go beyond that and bring to life what the actual item would look like in the "real world" if it was true. Sometimes you take "artistic license" and do what you feel, but lets face it, movie prop makers back then didn't have the time to make all of the details and sharp edges on something that would only been on screen for a few seconds or minutes and really wouldn't be that scrutinized. Who knew, back in 1977, that there would be countless people who could pick out minute details on props and costumes.
I think that this "new" (or older helmet, since we are going back in time before ANH) is what it is supposed to look like and what was envisioned in the mind of George Lucas (and his many designers) a long time ago....

TazMan2000

Thank Tazman. I just saw that helmet a certain way and when I found out it wasn't, I wanted to make it proper. :)

Notice the codpiece of the leftmost trooper is sticking out a bit further. Now that's a real fan! If I had that costume on, I'd be having the same reaction. :lol

TazMan2000

It's funny, I always thought that piece could be detachable.

The new ones look more realistic to me. The old ones look good from a distance, but do not look that good up close. Much of the detail was just painted or was stickers to represent physical shapes.

The ab buttons are a good example. Why would they have colored dots in the middle of their abdomen? They were meant to represent some kind of physical part such as a button but just painting the color was good enough to make the film in the 70s and early 80s.

The empire is supposed to be cold and impersonal, not organic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The new ones look more realistic to me. The old ones look good from a distance, but do not look that good up close. Much of the detail was just painted or was stickers to represent physical shapes.

The ab buttons are a good example. Why would they have colored dots in the middle of their abdomen? They were meant to represent some kind of physical part such as a button but just painting the color was good enough to make the film in the 70s and early 80s.

The empire is supposed to be cold and impersonal, not organic.

I agree. I prefer this design.

Just keep looking at the pics over and over, to me it seems the best design in the world just got upscaled to hi def :)

Do agree with CSMacLaren a bit though on the eyes although maybe not in the same way, I think if I had one of these I would prefer the inner eye to go to more of a point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Stormtroopers are perfect for the high resolution cinematic movies of the present, the classic ones would look bad on a big screen by today's standards. But I wouldn't want to change/upgrade the old classic ones in the Original Trilogy for anything in the world, good or bad, they are iconic as they are.

Well, while i like the old version (not todays screenshots with all the bad details, but the imagination they gave me when i was a child), they never made it on any of my PC as wallpaper.

Since today these beach boys are my actual notebook background. :cool

I'm an ANH Stormtrooper purist. I like the original suits, especially the Hero variants.

I think this revisionist ANH armor in Rogue One is horrible.

I can accept the sharpening, straightening of lines, making details more functional (such as the vents, mouth), removal of asymmetry and the sculptural warts. What I cannot accept is total distortion of the original sculpt and some of the heavy handed changes that affect the overall look. They have removed the organic curves from the armor, the general shapes are way off on EVERY PIECE.

The end result is something that looks like a GT/FX suit from 2004. That is why these troopers look like cosplayers.

On top of all this, continuity wise, this movie is supposed to end 10 minutes before ANH, I would expect the Stormtroopers to look EXACTLY like they did in ANH.

No excuse for these changes. The production crew had all the resources in the world to replicate the ANH look and they FAILED. Can't wait to see the revisionist Vader.

I'm an ANH Stormtrooper purist. I like the original suits, especially the Hero variants.

I think this revisionist ANH armor in Rogue One is horrible.

I can accept the sharpening, straightening of lines, making details more functional (such as the vents, mouth), removal of asymmetry and the sculptural warts. What I cannot accept is total distortion of the original sculpt and some of the heavy handed changes that affect the overall look. They have removed the organic curves from the armor, the general shapes are way off on EVERY PIECE.

The end result is something that looks like a GT/FX suit from 2004. That is why these troopers look like cosplayers.

On top of all this, continuity wise, this movie is supposed to end 10 minutes before ANH, I would expect the Stormtroopers to look EXACTLY like they did in ANH.

No excuse for these changes. The production crew had all the resources in the world to replicate the ANH look and they FAILED. Can't wait to see the revisionist Vader.
Do you also expect to see 1970s graphics on CRT screens and 70s haircuts?

Even though this film takes place just before ANH, it was made 40 years later and will be released for a 2016 audience. It's fine to use 2015/2016 technology and the bigger budget to tell the story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

No excuse needed. It is a great improvement of the shabby work that was done on the old version.

Calling Ainsworth's work "shabby" might be too critical. He had a tough schedule to manufacture several uniforms and helmets (not only stormtroopers). After all, it was 1975-1976 (or so) and the technology isn't as advanced as it is now, with laser scanners, 3D printers and design tools. Don't forget, GL had a tough time selling his idea to execs to make the original movie. He couldn't put all his money to suit up an army of plastic soldiers.

But I agree that you couldn't make a movie today and not take advantage of the present day technology available to make it the best it can be. You could imagine if the new Star Trek, had the bulbous monitors and the cheezy sets that they had back in the day. I like this new version and would expect that there are going to be more "improvements" in other props. But there are those "purists" who will always disagree.

TazMan2000

TazMan2000

Wow, did anyone of you actually READ my post?

I'm not stuck in the seventies, I don't care what new technology they used to bring this armor out nor do I care that they cleaned it up.

The fact is, this newly sculpted armor is clunky looking and each and every part does not match the curves or shapes of the original ANH armor.

They could have 3-D scanned ANH armor, cleaned up the warts, asymmetry and made the vents functional, etc. and it would have been great.

But, no, they had to make their mark on it. It looks like a GT/FX or Rubies suit.

And YES, I expect the 1970's graphics to match on the computer screens and the haircuts to match as well. They did it for the Millennium Falcon gunner graphics in Force Awakens.

If they choose to set a movie in that time period, one would expect the hair styles to match.

Last edited:
I get that you don't like it, but saying they failed only applies if their goal was to make a 100% exact replica of the ANH suits. Obviously they could've done that if they wanted to, but they chose not to. Like it or not, this is the direction they went with.

You are very correct sir, however, when they set a movie to end a mere 10 minutes before ANH, one would reasonably expect to see major characters appear exactly as they did in ANH.

I'm not asking for a rivet to blemish verbatim replica of an ANH suit, but something close, including details like the belt, boots and undersuit look as close as possible to what was on screen in 1977. In that respect, they failed.

But, yes, this is the direction they chose, I feel it is the wrong one.

I get that you don't like it, but saying they failed only applies if their goal was to make a 100% exact replica of the ANH suits. Obviously they could've done that if they wanted to, but they chose not to. Like it or not, this is the direction they went with.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said before, can't wait for them to role out Vader - possibly next week. Get ready for the **** storm to follow that.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back