Rogue Troopers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by spacebob, Aug 9, 2015.

1. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

Has anyone seen this......
    image.jpg

New sculpt? The chest looks a little different, among other bits.
    :)

2. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

image.jpg

The the shoulder bells are def not rotj or se and they stick to the upper arm......... New blasters too. Excited.

3. armorture

armorture New Member

An infiltration team for the new republic? Or a band still loyal to the empire? Remnants of the 501st? Flashback scene?

4. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Probably Rogue One production pix.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  5. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

A better pic of the (unconfirmed) Rogue helmet

Stormtrooperweb4.jpg click to enlarge

Like the suit it looks a little reworked to me but nice none the less.
    Not quite symmetrical.
    I think the whole suit and helmet will have been fixed up so it fits better and gives a better range of movement :)

6. Starrfox1

Starrfox1 New Member

I really hope that's just a miniature, whoever painted on those tube stripes looks like they were doing it mid-seizure... bubble lenses? What is this, some kind of ANH Hero/Stunt hybrid?

7. mortifactor

mortifactor Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that the helmets in the pic looked miniature. The paint on the desert one especially. Also the wood grain on the backdrop looks to betray the scale. Could be imagining it though. The stormie helmet definitely doesn't look 1:1, look at the teeth too. The material doesn't appear to be shiny abs either. I like the new stuff though, is the scout trooper respirator greeble on the sand helmet?

8. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]

cjchiu and Trap Joe like this.
  9. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I love this, its the best bit of design expansion that I have ever seen.
    You just cant tell the difference on most of it till you see it up close, perfect.
    I want.

10. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed!

Design of armor pieces and helmet sharpened, details changed in a way, that you can´t tell it right away from a distance, BUT they "jump into your eyes" up close.
    Love all the vents, cutouts and recessed/ raised areas, "cover-plates" on the seams etc.

Can´t wait to see all of this in action!!!

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  11. ggriffaw

ggriffaw Well-Known Member

I like the additional detail. They look more like real armor than just curved plastic with some paint simulating real detail.

I wonder if Anovos will have a new kit or just keep selling the OT. R1 may be the only time we see this armor unless some of the other Anthology films are in this era.

If Anovos does make R1 ST suits/helmets, I bet they will be priced closer to the FO ST because of the complexity of the pieces. They appear to be much more detailed than the OT suits.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  12. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I have a stormtrooper suit made from fibreglass taken from an fx suit, being fibreglass I was able to cut and fill it to make it more accurate to the OT style. I may just turn it into one of these suits with a bit more work :)

13. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

These are some of the highlighted details that were pretty obvious. I agree that I like this "revised" version of the armor as a whole, as it presents it as it would be in the real world.

What I find interesting is that they added a recessed oval/divot on the handplates very much like the TFA handplates, which I found rather odd

RO1.jpg

RO2.jpg

RO3.jpg

RO4.jpg

RO5.jpg

RO6.jpg

spacebob likes this.
  14. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Funny, as much as there is whining for "they altered the OT armor, they should have used the old crap again" ........ i LOVE the new suits. So much better then the wonky and bloppy stuff.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  15. SirRossage

SirRossage New Member

The ribbed undersuit is interesting

16. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

The only bits I don't like are the slanted join tween the ab and back plates and the way the cod is hanging forwards some of the time. But that's it.

17. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

I get that some will like the sharpness, and I wouldn't have minded it if they had left the eyes alone. The eyes (not the lenses themselves) look overworked and too flat, and the organic sculpted quality is lost. It feels too sanitized, and feels too much like cosplayers on a screen as opposed to actors wearing ANH armor, and my connection to 1977 and to ANH is diluted as a result. Other than that, I think the film has a lot of great things going for it! :)

cyclocrosschris likes this.
  18. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

After comparing this helmet against the shots of helmets of TKs walking in water, I'd say that the designs are different. The unconfirmed picture, for example, has teeth close to the surface. The RO design shows teeth recessed, among a variety of other things. The eyes are also different, and the ears don't join with the helmet in the same way as they do on the RO design. The shape of the black brow is also different. There are more discrepancies, but I'm sure the ones I called out will be sufficient to make the point. :cheers

19. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What kind of "cosplayers" do you see with such an exorbitant amount of money to throw into a costume of that quality? lol

CSMacLaren likes this.
  20. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I think the older pics could be scaled
    Maquettes now we have better pics, and I love the 77 troopers but this 7 year old thought they were robots and was very disappointed when I held my first margarine tub sds helmet ten years ago. This is still totally in universe :)

21. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

I see it right the other direction - this looks like big money suits for actors in a todays movie, and the old trash looks like made by kids in a garage for halloween. What you call "organic sculpted quality" i call "bad craftmanship" or "way to much hurried to be good".

CSMacLaren likes this.
  22. Stormie

Stormie Well-Known Member

I really like how they kept the slightly warped aspect of the face.

23. anamorphicWayne

anamorphicWayne Well-Known Member

RE: The Vents. Finally, someone else got the same idea as me.

IMG_2456.jpg IMG_2465.jpg

LTsmash1200 and spacebob like this.
  24. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

You're a man ahead of your time, Wayne, or because this was "before" ANH, you're behind your time. LOL.

I know, there are those who like to have props that are exactly like the screen used items, with all of their dings, dents, faults and asymmetrical looks, but there are those who like to go beyond that and bring to life what the actual item would look like in the "real world" if it was true. Sometimes you take "artistic license" and do what you feel, but lets face it, movie prop makers back then didn't have the time to make all of the details and sharp edges on something that would only been on screen for a few seconds or minutes and really wouldn't be that scrutinized. Who knew, back in 1977, that there would be countless people who could pick out minute details on props and costumes.
    I think that this "new" (or older helmet, since we are going back in time before ANH) is what it is supposed to look like and what was envisioned in the mind of George Lucas (and his many designers) a long time ago....

TazMan2000

25. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

SirRossage likes this.
  26. anamorphicWayne

Thank Tazman. I just saw that helmet a certain way and when I found out it wasn't, I wanted to make it proper. :)

It's funny, I always thought that piece could be detachable.

spacebob likes this.
  27. ggriffaw

The new ones look more realistic to me. The old ones look good from a distance, but do not look that good up close. Much of the detail was just painted or was stickers to represent physical shapes.

The ab buttons are a good example. Why would they have colored dots in the middle of their abdomen? They were meant to represent some kind of physical part such as a button but just painting the color was good enough to make the film in the 70s and early 80s.

The empire is supposed to be cold and impersonal, not organic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Lichtbringer likes this.
  28. anamorphicWayne

I agree. I prefer this design.

29. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

Just keep looking at the pics over and over, to me it seems the best design in the world just got upscaled to hi def :)

Do agree with CSMacLaren a bit though on the eyes although maybe not in the same way, I think if I had one of these I would prefer the inner eye to go to more of a point.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    LTsmash1200 and Bogleo like this.
  30. jkno

jkno Master Member

The new Stormtroopers are perfect for the high resolution cinematic movies of the present, the classic ones would look bad on a big screen by today's standards. But I wouldn't want to change/upgrade the old classic ones in the Original Trilogy for anything in the world, good or bad, they are iconic as they are.

craigjohn, spacebob and Reel Fakes like this.
  31. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Well, while i like the old version (not todays screenshots with all the bad details, but the imagination they gave me when i was a child), they never made it on any of my PC as wallpaper.

Since today these beach boys are my actual notebook background. :cool

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  32. Veedox

Veedox Active Member

I'm an ANH Stormtrooper purist. I like the original suits, especially the Hero variants.

I think this revisionist ANH armor in Rogue One is horrible.

I can accept the sharpening, straightening of lines, making details more functional (such as the vents, mouth), removal of asymmetry and the sculptural warts. What I cannot accept is total distortion of the original sculpt and some of the heavy handed changes that affect the overall look. They have removed the organic curves from the armor, the general shapes are way off on EVERY PIECE.

The end result is something that looks like a GT/FX suit from 2004. That is why these troopers look like cosplayers.

On top of all this, continuity wise, this movie is supposed to end 10 minutes before ANH, I would expect the Stormtroopers to look EXACTLY like they did in ANH.

No excuse for these changes. The production crew had all the resources in the world to replicate the ANH look and they FAILED. Can't wait to see the revisionist Vader.

gizmo and Davy Jones like this.
  33. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

No excuse needed. It is a great improvement of the shabby work that was done on the old version.

34. ggriffaw

Do you also expect to see 1970s graphics on CRT screens and 70s haircuts?

Even though this film takes place just before ANH, it was made 40 years later and will be released for a 2016 audience. It's fine to use 2015/2016 technology and the bigger budget to tell the story.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  35. TazMan2000

TazMan2000 Sr Member

Calling Ainsworth's work "shabby" might be too critical. He had a tough schedule to manufacture several uniforms and helmets (not only stormtroopers). After all, it was 1975-1976 (or so) and the technology isn't as advanced as it is now, with laser scanners, 3D printers and design tools. Don't forget, GL had a tough time selling his idea to execs to make the original movie. He couldn't put all his money to suit up an army of plastic soldiers.

But I agree that you couldn't make a movie today and not take advantage of the present day technology available to make it the best it can be. You could imagine if the new Star Trek, had the bulbous monitors and the cheezy sets that they had back in the day. I like this new version and would expect that there are going to be more "improvements" in other props. But there are those "purists" who will always disagree.

TazMan2000

TazMan2000

pm07 likes this.
  36. Veedox

Veedox Active Member

Wow, did anyone of you actually READ my post?

I'm not stuck in the seventies, I don't care what new technology they used to bring this armor out nor do I care that they cleaned it up.

The fact is, this newly sculpted armor is clunky looking and each and every part does not match the curves or shapes of the original ANH armor.

They could have 3-D scanned ANH armor, cleaned up the warts, asymmetry and made the vents functional, etc. and it would have been great.

But, no, they had to make their mark on it. It looks like a GT/FX or Rubies suit.

And YES, I expect the 1970's graphics to match on the computer screens and the haircuts to match as well. They did it for the Millennium Falcon gunner graphics in Force Awakens.

If they choose to set a movie in that time period, one would expect the hair styles to match.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Nocternus likes this.
  37. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I get that you don't like it, but saying they failed only applies if their goal was to make a 100% exact replica of the ANH suits. Obviously they could've done that if they wanted to, but they chose not to. Like it or not, this is the direction they went with.

38. Veedox

Veedox Active Member

You are very correct sir, however, when they set a movie to end a mere 10 minutes before ANH, one would reasonably expect to see major characters appear exactly as they did in ANH.

I'm not asking for a rivet to blemish verbatim replica of an ANH suit, but something close, including details like the belt, boots and undersuit look as close as possible to what was on screen in 1977. In that respect, they failed.

But, yes, this is the direction they chose, I feel it is the wrong one.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said before, can't wait for them to role out Vader - possibly next week. Get ready for the **** storm to follow that.

39. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

I don´t think so, cause it is shabby.

I´m not blaming him for having not enough money and time, but under the line the result WAS shabby (from a todays pov)..

41. cboath

cboath Master Member

Sorry, I don't really see anything that's heavy handed as far as the change. There is change, don't get me wrong, but nothing that made me say 'holy W#$%, they did what??'.

DId you ever stop and think that may be a number of the changes were functional? The OT suits were hard to wear, hard to breathe in, hard to see, not easy to get around, etc. Perhaps they're going for more agile troopers? etc...In which case you'd need a lot of changes to make that happen.

Seems they took a few cues from TFA troopers. Belt attaching to, or a part of the torso - not hanging loose. Tighter torso fit, extra vents in the helmet, etc.

If the designer sat down and said 'i'm going to change stuff just to put my stamp on it' , he'd likely get fired.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  42. JoeG

People get blinded by all the minutiae because of this hobby and seem to forget thats not who these films are geared towards. For the general public, these suits are identical to the originals. Hell, I bet there are even people who consider themselves die hard Star Wars fans, but don't have every detail of the ANH Stormtrooper costumes committed to memory. Sure, the suits are different, but when you're able to step back and look at them, there's nothing outrageously different that would make you think these aren't Stormtroopers from the same era as ANH.

43. ggriffaw

I bet over 95% of the general public won't even notice they are different.

44. Heisenberg07

Heisenberg07 Active Member

I am a DIE HARD OT purist, every rivet and blemish is important to me as far as the originals go when I am looking for pieces for my collection. However, I am a realist too, and I do applaud what they have done here, made a functional suit that looks so close to the original that 99.6% of people that go see this movie will never notice. We are such a small part of the SW fan base. They are close enough.

Reel Fakes and craigjohn like this.
  45. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Well said:thumbsup.

When I first saw these pics online I thought they were fan made stuff based on fx armor and not from the upcoming movie.

I'm looking forward to the movie but I see major disappointment on my part as far as established imperials are concerned (Rubies like Vader... etc... etc)

Sorry guys, crappy.

gizmo likes this.
  46. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I totally love the Stormtroopers of the old era I'm actually really pleased that it looks more than acceptable and not some new cross clown - sorry clone design. Never understood why they weren't Stormies right from the start right to the end.

47. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep, this. These look like Stormtroopers. Not a thing done to them is drastic enough that any normal person will notice or care about. I get that us HERE want things to be exact, but they aren't making movies for the very small audience on this page or over on White Armor. They're trying to make a billion dollars and that's going to need more than us. The average fan won't notice a difference.

48. spacebob

spacebob Sr Member

I'm not saying it's perfect, I'm not even saying it's better.
    I'm saying I love it and (I think you can all agree with me here) it could have been a whole lot worse. A lot worse.

Also the only major curve I see missing so far, is on the forearm. The ones elsewhere that are missing are more hidden so no probs.

LTsmash1200 and oota goota like this.
  49. Heisenberg07

Heisenberg07 Active Member

Where have you seen a pic of this supposed "Rubies like Vader"...I am pretty sure we haven't seen anything in regards to Vader except the promotional art which has been leaked and has a flipped image.

LTsmash1200 likes this.
  50. JoeG

The part that really makes me laugh is how people will put their own personal expectations on what a movie should look like and when the filmmakers didn't live up to this standard then all of a sudden they failed. Sorry, I didn't know Disney was expected to consult each and every fan before they make a SW flick.