A stupid question regarding a Kobold clip

CHalcyon82

Hey gang, a real fast and I'm guessing stupid question here: I'm working on multiple Graflex projects here (ATM mainly TESB and TFA-related) and I was curious about something. As per Roy's helpful instructions regarding building an TESB Graflex, he states that you need to enlarge the Kobold holes before you can start riveting and I was curious about a particular aspect of it: do you absolutely need to use a rotary tool or could you get away with using a regular drill to do so? Thanks in advance!

Hi!
Yes, you can easily use a drill for that! It's only a little bit of material you need to take away. Drill carefully.

Roy

I have my own stupid question: if the holes must end up enlarged to be accurate, why not just make the replicas with the final sized holes to begin with? Why replicate the "incorrect" original and then force the consumer to modify it? (I know, it defeats the purpose of the DIY nature of these projects. It just seems so... inefficient.)

I just experimented on what I think is a 2.0 kobold and it worked fine! Just need to keep one hell of a firm hand to keep that sucker steady.

With that said I got one more question for you kind folks: Do we need to enlarge the holes if we're doing a TFA set-up? I admit, I sent this question off to Roy a few hours ago so if you see this Roy, you can just ignore that e-mail. I'm asking this 'cause the holes look a bit small for the 3mm rivets.

I just experimented on what I think is a 2.0 kobold and it worked fine! Just need to keep one hell of a firm hand to keep that sucker steady.

With that said I got one more question for you kind folks: Do we need to enlarge the holes if we're doing a TFA set-up? I admit, I sent this question off to Roy a few hours ago so if you see this Roy, you can just ignore that e-mail. I'm asking this 'cause the holes look a bit small for the 3mm rivets.

The rivets on the New Trilogy Skywalker Saber are smaller, if I recall correctly, than the ESB version (3 mm rivits vs. 4 mm rivits) per Roy's info:

http://wannawanga.com/goodies/

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back