Revisiting the most accurate Luke ROTJ 'Hero' lightsaber

This will be awesome.

I'm partial to the V2... But hero is good as well (It's idealized though, correct? original was a cast?)

How does that work though, are the base bodies the same? Then it comes to added bits, paint style, Graflex clamp or the other control box?

My knowledge of Luke ROTJ is rusty.

Take a look at this, it might refresh your memory.

The V2 is a larger saber overall. I believe it's been stated that its diameter is 1.5" while the hero is around 1.25". Other than that, this photo of the Master Replicas versions of the hero and V2 should explain the differences better than I can describe them verbally. Note: this photo was originally posted by a user on fx-sabers.com, though I can't remember who posted it.

MRLukeROTJHeroVsV2_zps382df082.jpg~original

I am an OBI Saber boy but the second lightsaber is, for me, the Luke ROTJ Hero...I've got the eFX Reveal version and I think it's time for a fan made version :)

I was a child the first time I watched the OT (I was born in 1970) and, after the Bespin duel, I was frightened because Luke had lost the hand and above all the lightsaber:behave...
When I have seen the new lightsaber in ROTJ movie, have thought to a rebirth or a renaissance...:eek

The V2 is a larger saber overall. I believe it's been stated that its diameter is 1.5" while the hero is around 1.25". Other than that, this photo of the Master Replicas versions of the hero and V2 should explain the differences better than I can describe them verbally. Note: this photo was originally posted by a user on fx-sabers.com, though I can't remember who posted it.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums...k/MRLukeROTJHeroVsV2_zps382df082.jpg~original

The MR Luke Rotj hero saber is undersized

Does that also go for the eFX Reveal Luke Hero ROTJ version?

Chaim

Should be. I have the Rylo reveal, which is about the same exact size as the eFX, and it is just a bit larger than the MR.

From left to right:
- Rylo Reveal
- MR V2
- Hero MR
- Resin casting from Hero

2014-05-26 20.48.57.jpg

Does that also go for the eFX Reveal Luke Hero ROTJ version?

Chaim

Don't know. I've never measured one of those. Although, it's hard to evaluate that really because the efx reveal isn't trying to copy the hero. It's a replica of a custom that had nothing to do with the production of the film.

It's dimensions are COMPLETELY Different from a Rylo or MR.

I've had them all side by side at one point...

Anakin, so which are you looking to possibly make the run on? V2 or idealized hero?

I have neither, so both are great, but V2 is juuuust a tad cooler.

I had a v2 plan in place a while back. I'd made a 3d model of the original wood master and had it printed out. I was then talking to foundries to have copies cast in aluminum just like the original. Unfortunately, my casting master was lost. So, I'd have to make a new one. As a result, the Hero would probably come first, since all that is set to go and I can have the shop that usually machines my props do it.

I had actually considered asking a guy I know who works in wood make me a replica of the wood master... I was going to use the blueprints I believe Chaim linked me to. But the blueprints are for a Shared stunt... uneven spacing on the up part, etc. Is that a good blueprint to use? or is the wood master completely different. Are there proper dimensions of it? I'm now assuming not, since you made your own 3D model....

If it was feesable to have him do it in wood, to the right scale, I would have no issue sending it you for the aluminum castings... since I was planning to have it done anyways (as long as he didn't say "sure... 400 dollars"... for all I know it could be that much.

Oh and I should mention... I'm definitely in for your hero. Excited to have some ROTJ Luke represented in the collection.

I had a v2 plan in place a while back. I'd made a 3d model of the original wood master and had it printed out. I was then talking to foundries to have copies cast in aluminum just like the original. Unfortunately, my casting master was lost. So, I'd have to make a new one. As a result, the Hero would probably come first, since all that is set to go and I can have the shop that usually machines my props do it.

You mentioned that last time they were in the 150 range. Obviously things can change over time and I have no idea how long ago that was. Any idea if the price on this run would be similar? If it's even in that ballpark I feel like I'd be crazy not to sign up for one since we now have 3 pages worth of people who got one last time you did a run saying how good they came out.

The dimensions for my v2 model actually came off of an original stunt saber from ANH that a friend of mine owns. He was very generous to provide precise measurements, and the model I build replicated details in 3d that would be very difficult to reproduce with conventional machining.

Dan

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back