Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

My two big questions are who does Max Van Sydow and Andy Serkis play? I've read plenty of theories and some are quite interesting and some are just boring.
There was a lot of Reddit speculation on these two characters...

Apparently, MvS is playing the cyborg-mentor character to Ridley's character with ties to the prequels. The fun part says he's Jar Jar, but we all know that ain't gonna happen... but, what about Boba Fett? I've never been a Boba Fett fan (I just don't get the excitement over him)... and my initial reaction is that this might be a cool way (all cyborg'd up) to bring him back, but my second thoughts are that they could do better than bring back Fett. Yes, MvS doesn't look Maori - but most of him will be machine and you do have the Sarlaac to account for him looking different (digestive acids aren't fun).

Serkis is supposed to be an ancient Sith that doesn't follow the rule of two. Meh - they had to find a way out of that, didn't they? I guess they had to do this somehow and I am very interested to see what Serkis can do. I think I maybe more excited about seeing Serkis than just about anybody in the cast
I really need to lay off the (potential) spoilers...

My two big questions are who does Max Van Sydow and Andy Serkis play? I've read plenty of theories and some are quite interesting and some are just boring.

Apparently, MvS is playing the cyborg-mentor character to Ridley's character with ties to the prequels. The fun part says he's Jar Jar, but we all know that ain't gonna happen... but, what about Boba Fett? I've never been a Boba Fett fan (I just don't get the excitement over him)... and my initial reaction is that this might be a cool way (all cyborg'd up) to bring him back, but my second thoughts are that they could do better than bring back Fett. Yes, MvS doesn't look Maori - but most of him will be machine and you do have the Sarlaac to account for him looking different (digestive acids aren't fun).

Serkis is supposed to be an ancient Sith that doesn't follow the rule of two. Meh - they had to find a way out of that, didn't they? I guess they had to do this somehow and I am very interested to see what Serkis can do. I think I maybe more excited about seeing Serkis than just about anybody in the cast

Interesting theory on Fett. That means Fett is mentoring a Solo Kid? If she's playing a Solo kid.

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the saber is a "junk" saber as opposed to an "ancient" saber, then they may be exhaust ports and nothing more. They certainly more resemble flame then a lightsaber beam.

Than a fight scene with this weapon would be limited to strictly dodging attacks than a parry/sword like duel. Flame isn't exactly as solid as lightsabers, unless they make it act solid than the lightsabers will become obsolete. Still, it would make for a different kind of battle we haven't seen yet.

Than a fight scene with this weapon would be limited to strictly dodging attacks than a parry/sword like duel. Flame isn't exactly as solid as lightsabers, unless they make it act solid than the lightsabers will become obsolete. Still, it would make for a different kind of battle we haven't seen yet.

I think the blade is a traditional saber blade, albeit unrefined. Just the side bits are not intended for blocking or guarding.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to venture VERY unlikely on the Fett part. I think they want to save him for something else. the Serkis bit is intriguing, would make sense based on the teaser voice over. That could very well be dialogue from the film.

reelprops and Bryancd spoiler tags, please.

Yes, it definitely twists the character of Fett. But, I do think it might explain him collecting Sith artifacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

@reelprops and @Bryancd spoiler tags, please.

Yes, it definitely twists the character of Fett. But, I do think it might explain him collecting Sith artifacts.

I for one wouldn't mind that theory

Reel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm of the mind that anything not in the trailer is a spoiler. Rumors that are presented as spoilers should be treated as spoilers...

Maybe Vivek can help with this?

I'm about done with spoilers as I've already (possibly) heard enough and would like to go in pretty clean for this movie... I already know too much. I would like to keep up on casting, trailers and other not-as-spoilery info that this thread might have.

This thread is still not marked as a spoiler thread (and there isn't another non-spoiler thread), so the use of spoiler tags seems like a pretty reasonable thing to use.

I'm of the mind that anything not in the trailer is a spoiler. Rumors that are presented as spoilers should be treated as spoilers...

Maybe @Vivek can help with this?

But everything in this thread was rumor prior to the Trailer release, so we have been operating under that assumption.

Replies: 10,890 on this thread... wait 10,891... wait... 10,894... :D maybe its time we all went to the first page and re-read all the posts to refresh our memories on what our thoughts and speculations have been... you know, just for fun! :D

Its entirely possible Sirkis is doing voice over work for his character only and not actually in costume much like James Earl Jones for David Prowse...
of course his Mo Cap experience would leave me to believe he is a CGI character as well...

Last edited:

But everything in this thread was rumor prior to the Trailer release, so we have been operating under that assumption.
Some spoiler-rumors were treated with spoiler tags. Obviously, there appears to be a lot of info coming out now and there's nothing wrong with using a little caution.

I'm up for whatever we decide. I for one feel like the rumors should still be openly discussed and the thread titled appropriately.

Regardless of how everyone feels about the teaser, it's good to see such a strong outpouring of thoughts on the subject!

As far as spoilers. As it's been said, I don't like reading about "assumed" plot points that would ruin the "Oh Snap!" moments for me. But beyond taking hiatus from this thread, I think the only legitimate spoilers are the 4chan links...OH and the continued discussion of said link!:darnkids
Replies: 10,890 on this thread... wait 10,891... wait... 10,894... :D maybe its time we all went to the first page and re-read all the posts to refresh our memories on what our thoughts and speculations have been... you know, just for fun! :D

Its entirely possible Sirkis is doing voice over work for his character only and not actually in costume much like James Earl Jones for David Prowse...
of course his Mo Cap experience would leave me to believe he is a CGI character as well...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back