Jedi path stupidity

BDBear

I just got a copy of the Jedi Path vault edition. Now as I understand it, it's old. Like centuries old. So why does the vault look so pristine? The prop guy in me wants to weather the ever loving sith out of it. But the collector in me is now pouting in some dark corner of my mind and won't come out and the other voices in my head are getting concerned. (Except for the trekkie part of my brain. He doesn't seem to care) What should I do here? (Besides the years of therapy and voluntary psychiatric confinement I so obviously need) Weather it or not? And if so, any ideas or pointers?

I just got a copy of the Jedi Path vault edition. Now as I understand it, it's old. Like centuries old. So why does the vault look so pristine? The prop guy in me wants to weather the ever loving sith out of it. But the collector in me is now pouting in some dark corner of my mind and won't come out and the other voices in my head are getting concerned. (Except for the trekkie part of my brain. He doesn't seem to care) What should I do here? (Besides the years of therapy and voluntary psychiatric confinement I so obviously need) Weather it or not? And if so, any ideas or pointers?

Hmm.... pics? We're total suckers for pics...

hqdefault.jpg
I think he means this thingy...

I don’t think I would. If ever so slightly on the box only with very light grey just enough to make the texture pop a little.

It seems this thread is dead...

View attachment 807206
I think he means this thingy...

Yes. That's what I'm talking about.

I don’t think I would. If ever so slightly on the box only with very light grey just enough to make the texture pop a little.

I'm not thinking about weathering the book itself, just the vault box thing.

It seems this thread is dead...

Dude! Less than 8 hours and a threads dead? I'm a truck driver who's day starts at 2 am this week. So I'm in bed by 6. (This run I'm on this week makes me feel so old....)

The book is supposed to be maybe 100 years old. I know it was supposed to belong to Qui-Gon when he was a Padawan. I don't remember if it was Dooku's or not. The vault is something Luke put the book in later. I don't think the vault is supposed to be old. At least that's how I remember it.

I was just gonna say, I wouldn’t do anything to it. I’ve seen those go for big bucks on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The book is supposed to be maybe 100 years old. I know it was supposed to belong to Qui-Gon when he was a Padawan. I don't remember if it was Dooku's or not. The vault is something Luke put the book in later. I don't think the vault is supposed to be old. At least that's how I remember it.

I believe it's supposed to have been printed in 115 bby. So around 140+. I haven't found anything about who put it in the vault that I can remember. I just think it would look cool weathered.

I was just gonna say, I wouldn’t do anything to it. I’ve seen those go for big bucks on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got this off Amazon pretty cheap.

They have been reissued time and time again so go to town with it. Can always buy another copy easily.

Have they changed anything in the more recent printings? I think I remember
Obi-wan's saber sketch being on a napkin, not a menu.

I'd keep that one nice and pick up a used copy for $7.29 and free shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-...893632&hash=item48aa84b933:g:mjsAAOSwCU1YnsW9

It's funny you mentioned it. Every once in a while my son cleans out his room and sorts out things he wants to store away and/or get rid of. He had a copy of the book his uncle gave him. I noticed the cover was very worn and I had to think long and hard (hehe... I said long and hard) about whether or not the cover came like that since the pages themselves are made to look worn.

So here is my idea I got at the time and maybe you might consider it. Instead of just weathering the original cover, how about making a more appropriate cover then weathering that. I was thinking leather. I'd also consider a logo and possibly some aurebesh text hand engraved. Here is what I was thinking: http://www.instructables.com/id/From-Paperback-to-Leather-Bound/

If it's supposed to be a literal book in the SWU, why is its title in plain english? You'd think at least it'd be a cermonial cover in a SW language of sorts.

I believe it's supposed to have been printed in 115 bby. So around 140+. I haven't found anything about who put it in the vault that I can remember. I just think it would look cool weathered.
Luke rescued it from Palpatine's archives. So unless Ahsoka kept a textbook in a vault for some reason or Palpatine kept it in a vault with twin suns and a lightsaber on it, I think it's probably Luke's vault.

Obi-Wan's original sketch was on a napkin, yes.
New printings have changed some of the in-character annotations.

If it's supposed to be a literal book in the SWU, why is its title in plain english? You'd think at least it'd be a cermonial cover in a SW language of sorts.
English text is canon in Star Wars. I chalked it up to being like old bibles that were written in latin long after the language had died.

Aurebesh is a common/trade alphabet used throughout known space. IIRC, it's the characters of a long-extinct race that used to control a bunch of that space, hence so many species being familiar with it. Latin letters are an artifact of humanity, and show up mostly within human organizations and governments. It's been said before, but note they're X-Wing fighters, not Xesh-Wing (which looks like a triangle) fighters, and are Tee-65/70, not Trill-65/70. And the droids' names are Artoo-Deetoo and See-Threepio, not Reshtoo-Dorntoo and Cresh-Threepethosk. That latter example can be fudged easily enough, but not the former, where the X- and Y-Wing fighters' nicknames are based on their shapes.

I stick with pre-Special Edition labeling in Star Wars. It makes sense in the human-centric Empire. And Luke reading Aurebesh translations of Atroo's signalling speech also makes sense, as he grew up in the Outer Rim on a Hutt-controlled planet.

For this book, though...? I'd personally go with a leather binding with just the Jedi Order emblem embossed into it. Maybe with some inclusive filigree embossed around and at the corners/on the spine. Gilding optional. I wish Christopher Lee were still with us. For many reasons, but I'd love to have him sign the inside with something like "For my Padawan, on the occasion of his investure to Knighthood. Congratulations, Qui-Gon."

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back