Rubies Stormtrooper conversion to Shadowtrooper

KOtrooper

Long time lurker. First time posting my work. I gave my nephew (8 years old) a Rubies Stormtrooper helmet for his birthday. He took a liking to mine (that I modded to be more screen accurate). The unmodded bucket seemed to pacify him... for about 4 months. He asked me to glue his helmet together. No problem. I asked him if he wanted green lenses (as I had a set I could swap out). No dice. He wanted blue. I argued with him that it wasn't screen accurate. He wanted red. I said no. He wanted a blue helmet. I mentioned black. When I showed him a Shadowtrooper bucket he got excited. So now I've got some work to do.

IMG_20170201_133615.jpg
First step is gluing the parts together with some e6000. I used painters' tape and some clamps while the glue set. You can see I already popped out the bubble lenses.

I'll post more as I continue on with the project.

Had some progress lately.

3ede88f406bee12b0ab3714810f42f46.jpg

Popping out the eyes leaves you with some ugly excess plastic. Carefully trimming that off with a knife was a must.

965fd8fea5eb855ed7728e89d2430cbb.jpg

This is post trim, Bondo, and sanding. You'll see I already masked off the air filters. They look decent so I'll be keeping those. Everything else gets painted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5074ae05db8d33c5dac9e06c05cd2728.jpg

Not the best shot because of the backlight but I did a light coat of primer for plastics just now. I see some scuff lines from the sandpaper that still show through so I might do another coat of primer after I (try) to sand that away.

The weather is supposed to be decent in the next few days so hopefully I can get a gloss coat of black down!

very nice so far. reminds me of something I did some years ago :D. the plastic of these helmets are awful for sanding. to spray some filler all over, sand down and fill again is a good way. this helmet is called garbage often, but I think the potential of it is nice.

very nice so far. reminds me of something I did some years ago :D. the plastic of these helmets are awful for sanding. to spray some filler all over, sand down and fill again is a good way. this helmet is called garbage often, but I think the potential of it is nice.
Thanks for the tip! I read through your Rubies build last year when I modded two Rubies to be more screen accurate to wear for my wedding. I wasn't as detailed as you were though (and had to use apoxie sculpt instead of Bondo at the time) but it was a huge improvement.

The Rubies Helmet hurts my heart every time I see it... But yet again you have done your magic and are doing some justice my friend! Cant wait to see how it looks when done!

Did a few coats of primer and sanding in-between. I wanted to have a matte black for the brow so that got put on first.

5c9c38cd072a29470ee0f623b9649883.jpg

I let it dry for about a week. Not because I wanted to but the weather has been too cold for a proper painting.

Today I did two light coats of gloss black (I masked off the matte black brow). Some scuff marks on the forehead became instantly apparent. Looks like I will be doing some wet sanding!!
5c89620ff33d90731903638a475ca797.jpg

Did a round of wet sanding and two light layers today... Aaaand I have a nasty patch still on the forehead. It is smaller than before but I suspect I need to change up my painting technique.
b139a310aa7ca04eba74f75a910e277c.jpg

weird... just use some filler, sand it down with 240 sand paper and give it a layer with primer an a final black layer. that should work..

32c8016b637505469b44a76a656a0a0e.jpg

Had some time today with cooperative weather. I wet sanded down the spot on the top of the helmet (and some minor spots on the back). Washed it all off, let it dry, and did a light coat in those areas. Turned out pretty good. I free handed some silver paint for the frown.

Going to let it all cure, do a light wet sanding at a high grit, and add a gloss clear coat.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back