Harry Potter wand box

lostinperiphery

Built this using double thickness chipboard (scored the fold lines with a box cutter), covered the lid with green paper adhered down with a glue stick. Had some some issues with the brown craft paper for the base becoming wavy/buckled using the glue stick. Likely to be my technique, or materials?

I tried to age the box by brushing on some cornstarch for a dusty, worn appearance. No idea if this is the best method, and am open to suggestions for improvement :) I will probably need to give the box a shot of spray fixative to make the dusty effect a bit more permanent.

I had dabbled between using an Ollivander’s label, or creating my own (since I custom made the wand), but came up empty when trying to think of an appropriate wandmaker name.

I’m also exploring ideas for the internal materials, and will update when I’ve completed the inside.

8c917ba042dce4468fd53770a148cd4d.jpg

7894a86eae9dd04b6e07f348c5369014.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice work!
i tried my hand at making my own. Your first attempt is fantastic compared to mine. Looks great.
The first one I made was wayyyy too big.
I experimented a bit with the insides- different ribbons and magic looking paper.
I also weathered them and wore the whole thing- i used talc and sandpaper never thought of cornstarch.
Here’s some pics of some of them. You can see the huge first attempt.
I ended up making a few..
4f865160b20363381f3007fb698d3983.jpg

2ed13f42cfab01433c7363a6473f57da.jpg
cb3c40c346a7d31b9bf7eb9f4c8c0bd0.jpg
eb0291c697f80e797bdffc1727221796.jpg

I actually saw yours while researching techniques! They look incredible, particularly the distressing. Care to elaborate on your materials (box and paper) and distressing technique to get those worn edges? Had I sanded through my paper wrap, the natural brown chipboard would not have looked as nice, I don’t think. Also, my paper was a solid color all the way through, so sanding never revealed any white underneath. Had to fake it with the cornstarch :p

Thank you.
Boxes i just bought some brown cardboard that was the right thickness- whatever i could find.
I cycled through different materials with trial and error as i fumbled my way through trying to get something i was happy with.
paper i bought from a local art store- a little thicker than normal wrapping paper and white on one side.
Distressing i didn't just use sand paper- i used the edge of scissors to scrape across the edges then used an exacto knife to pick, curl and peel some of the coloured paper.

I actually saw yours while researching techniques! They look incredible, particularly the distressing. Care to elaborate on your materials (box and paper) and distressing technique to get those worn edges? Had I sanded through my paper wrap, the natural brown chipboard would not have looked as nice, I don’t think. Also, my paper was a solid color all the way through, so sanding never revealed any white underneath. Had to fake it with the cornstarch :p

Are the bare edges not all the way through to the brown cardboard? They look white in the image. It’s a nice effect whatever the case :)

Wow, they are really nice! I just started upgrading my Character Wand Box, because Ginny's wand isn't available in the fancy box. I'm not sure about the aging though. Whatever the box is wrapped in feels strange and is immune to cornstarch/water (it just looks bad on it) and I'm scared ti just ruin it with sanding paper.
If I do another one I might do my own cardboard box first, but what would you recommend to make this one older outside?

photo_2018-11-25_14-27-34.jpg

Built this using double thickness chipboard (scored the fold lines with a box cutter), covered the lid with green paper adhered down with a glue stick. Had some some issues with the brown craft paper for the base becoming wavy/buckled using the glue stick. Likely to be my technique, or materials?

I tried to age the box by brushing on some cornstarch for a dusty, worn appearance. No idea if this is the best method, and am open to suggestions for improvement :) I will probably need to give the box a shot of spray fixative to make the dusty effect a bit more permanent.

I had dabbled between using an Ollivander’s label, or creating my own (since I custom made the wand), but came up empty when trying to think of an appropriate wandmaker name.

I’m also exploring ideas for the internal materials, and will update when I’ve completed the inside.

View attachment 943913

View attachment 943914

Well done, I love the textured finish on the box and I think you have distressed it really well. (y)

Found some cool boxes at my local Goodwill. (Salinas, CA)

They had lots to choose from. I picked 2 that I liked. One is about 12" long, and the other is almost 13".
There was about 20 boxes to choose from. They have some kind of SCROLL in them that plays music and voice. Apparently the scrolls are for an antique player piano. They seem to sell for about $20 each on eBay......and they're only $4 at my Goodwill. But still, with such a limited number of buyers, it wouldn't be worth my time to try and sell them on eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_2081[1].JPG
    IMG_2081[1].JPG
    505.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2082[1].JPG
    IMG_2082[1].JPG
    598.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2083[1].JPG
    IMG_2083[1].JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2084[1].JPG
    IMG_2084[1].JPG
    571.2 KB · Views: 120

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back