Full scale Dva mecha!

CommanderKaable

First post!

So... ever since the open beta i have ben toying with the idea of building Dva's mech from Overwatch! So now when summer has begun i figured it was time to start! I mean i've seen space marines and big daddys soo i thought that this can't be that dificult. This will be my build thread through the whole process with pics, schematics, calculations and materials! I love feedback so feel free to drop a comment whenever i upload something!

Right know I'm just sitting down doing all the math for the project, its hard to calculate the scale only using reference pics but hey thats the first challenge. I'll post my frist pics as soon as the math is done and the schematics part has begun!

Cheers, loves! xD

And i'm back! According to my calculations i've found out that Dva and her mech is about 5.6 ft & 8.4ft tall. That is about 1,70 and 2,55 meters tall for metric users like me.
I based the calculations on the reference sheets provided from blizzard. Since Dva dosen't have her aprox hight printed i had to use the ones that had, Like Soilder 76, Reinhart and Tracer. Soilder is about 185cm or 6.1ft and Reinhart is about 220cm or 7.2ft, and thats puts the reference sheet for Dva in about 1:33 in scale. I'm almost 100% sure i got it wrong somewhere.

But according to my math this makes Dvas Mech between 244 and 263cm tall. Witch seems fair since it is taller than Reinhart in his 220cm/7.2ft.
Unless I do something horribly wrong my mech will stand with the dimnensions of 263*240*198cm or 8.4*7.10*6.5ft. Now onto the the material part! This will take time and experimentation. If you have suggestions for the math i would love to hear them. I'll post my schematics as soon as i've got them.

Untill next post! Cheers, loves! xD
13340485_10207020653410494_32336261_o.jpg!DVa_I_Heart_You.jpg

How are you going to make it walk? Typically for oversized costumes like this, most people sorta fake the legs by have their own limbs in it, but Dva is actually crunched up inside it, so posing as her and having your legs as the legs of the mech would seem..difficult. Could this work as a two person costume maybe? Someone be the mech and someone be Dva?

I imagine that would take quite a feat of engineering so as the mech person doesn't get tired and/or crushed by the Dva.

Anyways, movement was my only concern. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

im looking forward to your progress as well. I've sort of had this on the back of my mind but I dont even know how id go about starting it.

I've also been interested in building a full size mech, I'll post my ideas here for now, dunno if I'll have the time or resources to actually build something anytime soon.
I have a full rip of all the game models, so I can get more accurate sizes for anything you need. I've been working off of the mech model, trying to figure out what the internal skeleton for this thing would look like.

Here's a picture of the model
e3b0e6eae42177aba37e76b868431edb.png
and here's a barebones skeleton of it I modeled
6927c95ffd92bb1b193c4b212bef5e2e.png
I added pillars inside for the cannons to hang on, but they wouldn't be needed if your upper frame was solid enough
a8fc4352f4118c42baa3e44bc6615a92.png
Side view of skeleton
cae6299c8f55ce35161b028380967dca.png
And here's me trying to fit two people inside (one walking, one moving arms in the cockpit)
001221c8f6046f96bc69831df04af7ec.png
One problem with having someone do the legs like that is the width. you'd have to move the legs a lot closer together to make it feasible to wear.
Anyway, hope something I posted helps you out, feel free to hit me up for more pics, measurements or models.
I also prototyped a linkage for controlling the legs with your legs from the cockpit out of lego. https://goo.gl/photos/bwM14bsBS37u9wzQ7
I basically moved all of the transmission for controlling the legs up and over to where the cockpit would be. My crazy idea is that maybe you'd be able to actuate the linkages by moving your legs up and down, and tilting your feet. No idea how much power that would actually take, plan B right now is to stick wheels under the feet and just drive around instead.

e3b0e6eae42177aba37e76b868431edb.png

6927c95ffd92bb1b193c4b212bef5e2e.png

a8fc4352f4118c42baa3e44bc6615a92.png

cae6299c8f55ce35161b028380967dca.png

001221c8f6046f96bc69831df04af7ec.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, fitting two people in there would be quite the feat. I could see it working as a stationary build maybe?

Haiya!

cubedparadox: I really like your idea, i've been toying with that idea too. bit the biggest problem there is the weight-to-hight ratio and problems with balance and weight distribution. I kinda have the same idea for the skeletion but to modify it for one person. At least for now. But hey, if you figure it out, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt put 2 people in, the person on the legs would have one hell of a weight to carry. What you could do is scale it down a bit, have one person as the legs and arms, then have a fake body inside, or even a fake body but somehow have the real wearers head

I wouldnt put 2 people in, the person on the legs would have one hell of a weight to carry. What you could do is scale it down a bit, have one person as the legs and arms, then have a fake body inside, or even a fake body but somehow have the real wearers head

Not to mention having two people would make it severely front heavy. Walking on stilts is hard enough on its own!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back