Zipper Feedback Wanted (for Lycra Spandex Costume)

Todogut

I am planning to order a new Lycra spandex costume, and I'm unsure about zippers. I'd like to get feedback from people who have worn different styles of zippers in spandex costumes.

Just a few months ago, I bought my first zentai spandex bodysuit. It had a zipper in the back; but I found I could not zip it up by myself--I needed help from someone else, which was very inconvenient. I want to avoid the issue with my next suit.

I'm considering a U-shape zipper along the sides of the upper body and the waist. I've also seen ads for a suit with a zipper that runs along the inner legs and crotch. I've heard that these kinds of zipper might cause the costume to look a bit loose and bumpy along its length. I've also heard that a curved zipper tends to get stuck, break, or come off track more often than a straight zipper.

Additionally, my first suit did not have a crotch zipper. After wearing the suit at a convention, I learned that a crotch zipper would be a good thing for visits to the men's room.

I've heard that crotch zippers can be uncomfortable. I was planning to get a horizontal crotch zipper (rather than a vertical one) because it is less conspicuous.

Can these zippers be made "invisible"? If yes, how effective is the illusion? How durable are invisible zippers?

What has been your experience with zippers in your spandex suits? Please, share your knowledge and give me your recommendation on which zipper options I should choose.

Thank you,
Todo

Please tell what kind of zipper options you chose and how did they work out for you? For example:

- How did the zipper options that you chose look? Did your zippers affect the appearance of your suit?

- Did your zippers make the suit comfortable to wear at a convention? Did the zippers affect how easy it was to get the suit on and off?

- How durable/reliable/free of hassle were your zippers?

- What zipper options would you recommend for someone buying a Lycra spandex costume?

Thanks,
Todo

Hey, Spidey costumers, many of you favor the U-shape zipper, correct? While others use the back zipper, right? Has anyone gone with a legs zipper?

Please, share with me your experience regarding choice of zipper. What worked well? Not so well? What choice would you recommend?

Thank you!
Todo

Please tell what kind of zipper options you chose and how did they work out for you? For example:

- How did the zipper options that you chose look? Did your zippers affect the appearance of your suit?

- Did your zippers make the suit comfortable to wear at a convention? Did the zippers affect how easy it was to get the suit on and off?

- How durable/reliable/free of hassle were your zippers?

- What zipper options would you recommend for someone buying a Lycra spandex costume?

Thanks,
Todo

Todo, you might want to do some searching here and in the Marvel subforum, there have been some good discussions with the info you're looking for with regard to Spider-Man suits and zippers.

I've done both with different costumes, and I prefer the spine zipper. It's easier to get in and out of (Pro-Tip: Hook a large safety pin to the zipper tab to help you reach it by yourself!) While the u-zip is supposed to help with movement (zippers don't stretch and the thought is that your Spidey-moves are hampered by a spine zipper) I personally don't like them. They restrict stretch around the midsection, and they aren't as durable (zippers were never made to go around corners and I have heard of the u-zip breaking).

My favorite Spidey suit was built with a spine zipper and I still felt fine doing some "exaggerated" moves:
p750752816-5_zps738434da.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, RiotJavelinDX and IronJoe.

I tried attaching a cord to the zipper tab of the spine zipper on my zentai suit, but I couldn't hold the stretchy material on either side of the zipper together enough to zip up. Maybe my suit is too tight and doesn't fit well enough?

For my next spandex suit, I'll specify custom measurements instead of just XXL. Hopefully that will give a more tailored fit and help with the zipper performance.

Todo

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back